Time to stockup on ammo guys

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Time to stockup on ammo guys

Post by pagun » 18 Feb 2023, 12:05 pm

Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Time to stockup on ammo guys

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Feb 2023, 12:22 pm

You might have left your run a little late if you are only starting now.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 18 Feb 2023, 1:06 pm

pagun wrote:https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101987030

After reading that article I don't get what the issue is?
I mean dealers being able to check the status of a licence holder doesn't hinder your ability purchase firearms/ammo? (Unless you're doing the wrong thing obviously).

If this could potentially save a life, I'd be all for it.
Unless there is something I'm missing?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by animalpest » 18 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

Why would you need to stock up on ammo that you are legally allowed to purchase.

Unless you are suggesting .......?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by pagun » 18 Feb 2023, 1:24 pm

Im just thinking: first they track it more then they limit it..
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 18 Feb 2023, 1:40 pm

pagun wrote:Im just thinking: first they track it more then they limit it..

Well they already track who gets what anyway, from my understanding all that article was suggesting was that dealers had a way to check that a licence was valid and hadn't been cancelled for whatever reason.
There is nothing wrong with that, infact I would welcome that.

Not sure about your state, but here in tas we do have limitations.
You're only allowed to possess up to a 12 months supply of ammo.
Obviously that amount is dependent on how active you are as a shooter and what you do with it.
But I purchase a few thousand rounds at a time when I buy ammo, never had any issues.

I think you're worrying over nothing.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 18 Feb 2023, 1:58 pm

S O K A R wrote:

Well they already track who gets what anyway, from my understanding all that article was suggesting was that dealers had a way to check that a licence was valid and hadn't been cancelled for whatever reason.

Obviously that amount is dependent on how active you are as a shooter and what you do with it.
But I purchase a few thousand rounds at a time when I buy ammo, never had any issues.

Well here in Victoria you get done with a AVO or lose your shooters licence for any reason whatsoever and every local dealer within whatever range has a fax by the following morning with your licence photo on it saying that you are disqualified
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 18 Feb 2023, 2:31 pm

If a license is cancelled in any state the shooter has a responsibility to surrender their license card and either surrender or find a licensed person to take possession of their firearms and ammunition. Whatever they do it's the responsibility of police to follow up and confirm that they no longer have possession of any of the above, this is where probably the largest police screw up occurred and should be the focus of fixing things for the future.
However, the anti-gun extremists will be looking to take as much advantage as possible and try to get pointless extra restrictions created, even knowing they cost a lot to implement and manage but have no benefits for anyone.

The recent disruption to supply chains where products like primers and powder disappear for years at a time also raises valid questions around what is a 'reasonable' amount for a shooter to possess at any time. Also, as no mass shooting has ever used as many rounds as a single box of 50, what is the point of limiting shooters to 1,000 rounds, or 10,000 or indeed any number.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Feb 2023, 2:32 pm

Just to add though, now is the time to stock up on ammo and ammo components, in fact every time you buy some, get some extra and hope you can last through the next shortage.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 18 Feb 2023, 3:40 pm

rc42 wrote:If a license is cancelled in any state the shooter has a responsibility to surrender their license card and either surrender or find a licensed person to take possession of their firearms and ammunition. Whatever they do it's the responsibility of police to follow up and confirm that they no longer have possession of any of the above...........

Here in NSW and no doubt, the Fascist Wonderland of Westraya, the ink wouldn't be dry on the paperwork before the rozzers were on your doorstep to remove your stuff and have a good scout about to see what else they can shove up you while they're invading your home
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by pagun » 18 Feb 2023, 4:39 pm

S O K A R wrote:

"I think your worrying over nothing" see how well that post ages..

I pay cash. They dont track it
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 18 Feb 2023, 5:40 pm

pagun wrote:

I'm curious, what is so "scary" about wanting to add an extra security feature to prevent those who are no longer legally licensed from buying ammunition?
Does it hinder a licensed owner from purchasing ammunition? No it doesn't.
Could potentially save lives.

Considering dealers are required by law to record ammunition sales & pass that onto licensing after a designated period of time, regardless of whether you pay cash or card its being recorded/tracked.
Its really not a big deal unless you have something to hide/up to shady s**t.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by pagun » 18 Feb 2023, 6:56 pm

S O K A R wrote:
pagun wrote:

I'm curious, what is so "scary" about wanting to add an extra security feature to prevent those who are no longer legally licensed from buying ammunition?
Does it hinder a licensed owner from purchasing ammunition? No it doesn't.
Could potentially save lives.

Considering dealers are required by law to record ammunition sales & pass that onto licensing after a designated period of time, regardless of whether you pay cash or card its being recorded/tracked.
Its really not a big deal unless you have something to hide/up to shady s**t.

Im law abiding. I dont wamt guns and ammo in the hands of unlicensed.

All im sayin is i think this will lead to ammo limits like they want in NT and eventually youll get given alotted jack s**t rounds a year.enjoy yr "few thousand" while u can. We can agree to disagree
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2023, 8:49 pm

If someone can get their hands on a black market firearms in Australia, getting a few rounds won't be a problem for them regardless of how many Joe LAFO Citizen has per year.

Remember those mugs don't want, need or use thousands of rounds, they only need a handful.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2023, 9:33 pm

deye243 wrote:
S O K A R wrote:

Well here in Victoria you get done with a AVO or lose your shooters licence for any reason whatsoever and every local dealer within whatever range has a fax by the following morning with your licence photo on it saying that you are disqualified

Well, that's interesting. Didn't know that. Would likely be workable too. And very easy.

Spoke to one of wife's aunties last week. Her husband died about six months ago. Two days after his death local cop knocked on the door asking about his firearms. Turns out he was helpfull and assisted in arranging transfers to grandson who had only a few weeks before applied for his license. Storage was now substandard due to changes but allowed them to remain there during the process. So, he was understanding and excellent to deal with. But two days was quick and obviously a red flag was raised the moment his death was registered by the Dr.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 20 Feb 2023, 8:06 am

If one shoots a fair bit of ammunition in a year then it is to your advantage to stock up on any bargain you may come across.
Look at the current prices of powder, primers and projectiles and compare them with prices of only a couple of years ago.
How much better is it than money in the bank?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 20 Feb 2023, 1:29 pm

Saw a news article today that stated the Russia/Ukraine war has put so much demand on ammunition that even if all fighting stopped today and current global production facilities ran at full capacity it would take them around 15 years to replenish all stockpiles.

Somehow I think shortages and soaring prices are the new normal for ammunition and reloading components.

As an example, I thought small pistol primers were pricey at $90 per 1000, they disappeared from stores and came back a couple of months later at $140, those sold out and now, another few months later, they are back at $200. I dread to think what the pricing will be like on the next shipment but the sad part is that factory ammo prices are increasing so fast that it's still cheaper to reload, as long as you have powder.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by geoff » 20 Feb 2023, 7:18 pm

rc42 wrote:Saw a news article today that stated the Russia/Ukraine war has put so much demand on ammunition that even if all fighting stopped today and current global production facilities ran at full capacity it would take them around 15 years to replenish all stockpiles.

Somehow I think shortages and soaring prices are the new normal for ammunition and reloading components.

As an example, I thought small pistol primers were pricey at $90 per 1000, they disappeared from stores and came back a couple of months later at $140, those sold out and now, another few months later, they are back at $200. I dread to think what the pricing will be like on the next shipment but the sad part is that factory ammo prices are increasing so fast that it's still cheaper to reload, as long as you have powder.

Id be quite skeptical of that claim. We are seeing shortages across the board - nearly all calibres and nearly all component types. I don't think NATO forces are shooting 147 grain ELD's in 6.5 cals for example. How many slabs of 12 gauge shells are getting churned up?

Milspec ammo isn't really used by the average shooter
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 21 Feb 2023, 9:59 am

geoff wrote:
rc42 wrote:Saw a news article today that stated the Russia/Ukraine war has put so much demand on ammunition that even if all fighting stopped today and current global production facilities ran at full capacity it would take them around 15 years to replenish all stockpiles.

Id be quite skeptical of that claim. We are seeing shortages across the board - nearly all calibres and nearly all component types. I don't think NATO forces are shooting 147 grain ELD's in 6.5 cals for example. How many slabs of 12 gauge shells are getting churned up?

Milspec ammo isn't really used by the average shooter[/quote]

True, but the raw materials for both are the same.

If the priority for those raw materials is given to milspec production it's really a no-brainer that there will be a shortage in civilian supplies.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2023, 3:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, that's interesting. Didn't know that. Would likely be workable too. And very easy.

Spoke to one of wife's aunties last week. Her husband died about six months ago. Two days after his death local cop knocked on the door asking about his firearms. Turns out he was helpfull and assisted in arranging transfers to grandson who had only a few weeks before applied for his license. Storage was now substandard due to changes but allowed them to remain there during the process. So, he was understanding and excellent to deal with. But two days was quick and obviously a red flag was raised the moment his death was registered by the Dr.

I bought a Lithgow Model 1B from a family friend after her husband died. But she still had it about eighteen months later and nobody had been out to hassle her about it. Maybe the type of firearms held is also an issue?

When Rose's dad died it took some months to sort the estate to a point where I was able to have his rifle transferred to me, but we didn't get anybody chasing us up about it. Perhaps a message goes to the local DFO and he makes a decision about the importance of following it up? He knows these people so he can probably made an educated decision about whether these firearms are a risk to the community.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2023, 4:01 pm

pagun wrote:Im law abiding. I dont wamt guns and ammo in the hands of unlicensed.

All im sayin is i think this will lead to ammo limits like they want in NT and eventually youll get given alotted jack s**t rounds a year.enjoy yr "few thousand" while u can. We can agree to disagree

Why do unlicenced people scare you? It's not that long ago that nobody needed a licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Feb 2023, 6:29 pm

geoff wrote:Milspec ammo isn't really used by the average shooter

Are you saying that Milspec ammo quality is so rubbish that the average shooter would reject it?

Or that an increase in demand for ammo by the military should not affect major companies production of components such as primers and projectiles?

Unfortunately increases in demand from anywhere will affect the amount of components available to you and me. Look at everytime someone talks about gun reform in the US and people there start buying up big in case it happens. We suffer the most out here and cannot get our hands on anything.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by geoff » 22 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
geoff wrote:Milspec ammo isn't really used by the average shooter

Are you saying that Milspec ammo quality is so rubbish that the average shooter would reject it?

Or that an increase in demand for ammo by the military should not affect major companies production of components such as primers and projectiles?

Unfortunately increases in demand from anywhere will affect the amount of components available to you and me. Look at everytime someone talks about gun reform in the US and people there start buying up big in case it happens. We suffer the most out here and cannot get our hands on anything.

No, you said that. I just made one small, very simple statement and you've gone down your own rabbit hole with it.

Yes, powder and primers overlap but for the most part, the average rec shooter (particularly in Australia) doesn't really use milspec ammo. And by that I mean things like mil surplus or ex mil contract ammo......a few notable exceptions are that there is occasionally some ADI 7.62 NATO getting around and the ADI 223 rounds that Aussies seem to eat like tic tacs probably use the same line of brass as their ADF rounds.

But don't overthink it. Not too many 87 grain Vmax projies going into mil rounds, or Berger 6.5 VLD's and they are both very very hot with the average shooter these days. Do militaries really shoot much 17hmr? Average shooters do.

Pretty simple statement. Most shooters don't use mil ammo. That's about it.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 22 Feb 2023, 3:48 pm

When demand for military ammo or components goes up, then the supply must come from somewhere.

Look at during WWII, and we are not just talking about ammo then
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Barbarian » 01 Mar 2023, 9:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Well, that's interesting. Didn't know that. Would likely be workable too. And very easy.

I bought a Lithgow Model 1B from a family friend after her husband died. But she still had it about eighteen months later and nobody had been out to hassle her about it. Maybe the type of firearms held is also an issue?

When Rose's dad died it took some months to sort the estate to a point where I was able to have his rifle transferred to me, but we didn't get anybody chasing us up about it. Perhaps a message goes to the local DFO and he makes a decision about the importance of following it up? He knows these people so he can probably made an educated decision about whether these firearms are a risk to the community.

IDK what its like in other states but the Stazi here in WA are handed a report from the coroner's office at the end of each day and that is immediately run against firearms license holders. In the Metro area the coppers can be on your doorstep at 2am, it'll probably be a little later if you live rural but my understanding is that its actioned immediately.

I know through talking to other WAAS members that we've had a few spouses caught unawares.

Thankfully if you co-license everything and you know your health is going down hill, its as simple as sending an email to WApol about transferring primary ownership to the co-licensee, no fee and as long as that email has been sent before TOD its fine.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Mar 2023, 1:02 pm

Barbarian wrote:IDK what its like in other states but the Stazi here in WA are handed a report from the coroner's office at the end of each day and that is immediately run against firearms license holders. In the Metro area the coppers can be on your doorstep at 2am, it'll probably be a little later if you live rural but my understanding is that its actioned immediately.

I know through talking to other WAAS members that we've had a few spouses caught unawares.

Thankfully if you co-license everything and you know your health is going down hill, its as simple as sending an email to WApol about transferring primary ownership to the co-licensee, no fee and as long as that email has been sent before TOD its fine.

Here the estate can hang onto the firearms I think for six-months, without needing a licence (basically it is a period that allows somebody to get licenced to be able take over the firearms), but it is certainly preferred that the firearms are put into safekeeping with a licenced person or a dealer. The Lady I mentioned has never held a licence. I was already storing and using Rose's dad's rifle before he died, but I was the only licenced person here at that time.

I don't even know if co-licencing exists outside WA as I think all other states allow borrowing firearms, though some do require written statements and some have maximum time limits. If you come to visit me in Vic I can borrow, store and use your firearms as if they are my own. If I visit you in WA you can't use my firearms except under my supervision.
Last edited by bladeracer on 02 Mar 2023, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Mar 2023, 8:21 pm

PRIMERS. Did I get your attention?

Seems that perhaps later this year a new player will be pumping them out faster than the groom on his wedding night. :lol:

https://youtu.be/ef6eFfw222U

When will they get here? Your guess is as good as mine.

https://www.expansion-ammunition.com/ri ... html?amp=1
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 02 Mar 2023, 11:01 pm

I'm sure that when the US market is saturated with both factory ammunition and reloading components the demand for their primer manufacturing output will drop so they will look at exporting to Australia.
My guess would be about 5 years from now.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 Mar 2023, 10:22 am

Screenshot_20230303-105128_Gallery.jpg
Yep, better stock up on ammo.....
Screenshot_20230303-105128_Gallery.jpg (309.01 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Mar 2023, 11:12 am

Who knows when but it's gotta help.
I read somewhere there is another in Sth America
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics