My reduced load shoots to the left

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: My reduced load shoots to the left

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2023, 5:18 pm

MtnMan wrote:Ok, I tried 23gr of AR2208 and the group was great and shot 2" left at 100m. 24gr the group opened up.

24.5gr of Win748 had one flyer and also shot about the same to the left.

will try 23.5gr of AR2206H next. That's almost as much as what will fit in the case. Listed max is 25gr but there is no way that will fit in the case.

Might just be that these .22mag bullets shot to the left for whatever reason.

yet to do the same with the speer 46gr flat nose I have. I'm trying to find a velocity high enough to get them to be more expansive. at the moment at 2550fps they are lacking. No 'bang flop' effect.

Think I'm abandoning the idea of reduced loads. The only bullet I've found that will expand at reduced load velocity are the .22mag JHP's but they are hard to get (once this supply I have runs out I expect to never be able to get them again) and shoot to the left.

I'm truly surprised you have trouble with expansion with those speer flat points,I run them at a theoretical 1800fps and they blow s**t apart. I'm also lucky enough that they did match the hot load I had the rifle sighted in for at the time.
I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't think different loads shoot to different places,its more the norm than the exception I've found.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2023, 5:54 pm

bigpete wrote:
MtnMan wrote:Ok, I tried 23gr of AR2208 and the group was great and shot 2" left at 100m. 24gr the group opened up.

24.5gr of Win748 had one flyer and also shot about the same to the left.

will try 23.5gr of AR2206H next. That's almost as much as what will fit in the case. Listed max is 25gr but there is no way that will fit in the case.

Might just be that these .22mag bullets shot to the left for whatever reason.

yet to do the same with the speer 46gr flat nose I have. I'm trying to find a velocity high enough to get them to be more expansive. at the moment at 2550fps they are lacking. No 'bang flop' effect.

Think I'm abandoning the idea of reduced loads. The only bullet I've found that will expand at reduced load velocity are the .22mag JHP's but they are hard to get (once this supply I have runs out I expect to never be able to get them again) and shoot to the left.

I'm truly surprised you have trouble with expansion with those speer flat points,I run them at a theoretical 1800fps and they blow s**t apart. I'm also lucky enough that they did match the hot load I had the rifle sighted in for at the time.
I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't think different loads shoot to different places,its more the norm than the exception I've found.

Me too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2023, 6:18 pm

bigpete wrote:I'm truly surprised you have trouble with expansion with those speer flat points,I run them at a theoretical 1800fps and they blow s**t apart. I'm also lucky enough that they did match the hot load I had the rifle sighted in for at the time.
I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't think different loads shoot to different places, its more the norm than the exception I've found.

They definitely shoot to difference places, but you can usually build a reduced load that drops vertically below your standard load, so you only have to hold over.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 05 May 2023, 9:22 pm

Just gave a fox a head canoe with the 46gr FN with 25gr of Win748 at around 40m.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jun 2023, 12:10 am

Mntman, have you considered trying these?
They will send out a 50 sample just for cost of postage.

https://blackwidowprojectiles.com.au/pr ... sized-224/

$57 for 500 + postage
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics