is the 30-30 still relevant ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: is the 30-30 still relevant ?

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2023, 11:09 am

Back the both of the barrel band screws off a bit, even to the point of the fore-wood moving a little.
It basically "free-floats" the barrel. Loc-tite is your friend.
Factory or high velocity handloads shoot a lot flatter than the round is given credit for.
I've never had any issues knocking goats or pigs over with it.

I mostly run reduced loads for lever-action silly-wet but a 170gr cast bullet on top of 17gr of 2207 still knocks the 200m rams over and is spot on centre hold using the barrel sights in the top notch.
This is achievable with my reduced loads shooting off-hand if I do my bit. :D

ram group.jpg
ram group.jpg (201.44 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2023, 11:18 am

Good shootin Gamerancher. Once my XLR 30-30 cooled right down, I stretched her out to 500m from slung prone, using LVR-FTX replica loads. After one sighter adjustement, it put 6/6 on to a 50cm X 50cm steel plate at 500m, and i ran out of ammo. Williams long adjust peep sight. It's simply the heat that kills the group eventually, if you are chasing that ellusive bulleye ring.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2023, 12:01 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Back the both of the barrel band screws off a bit, even to the point of the fore-wood moving a little.
It basically "free-floats" the barrel. Loc-tite is your friend.
Factory or high velocity handloads shoot a lot flatter than the round is given credit for.
I've never had any issues knocking goats or pigs over with it.

I mostly run reduced loads for lever-action silly-wet but a 170gr cast bullet on top of 17gr of 2207 still knocks the 200m rams over and is spot on centre hold using the barrel sights in the top notch.
This is achievable with my reduced loads shooting off-hand if I do my bit. :D

ram group.jpg

thanks for the tips GR . i might go down the track of doing away with the bands altogether and fitting a fore end cap and cutting the mag back if i really want to chase accuracy . i had a 64a winchester a few years ago in this spec and it was a real shooter .
that's good shooting on your part too mate :thumbsup:
as much as i like my slick, accurate 24" oct barrelled rossi 357 , the 94 in 30-30 is more practicle and i can get powder to load for it :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2023, 12:05 pm

in2anity wrote:Good shootin Gamerancher. Once my XLR 30-30 cooled right down, I stretched her out to 500m from slung prone, using LVR-FTX replica loads. After one sighter adjustement, it put 6/6 on to a 50cm X 50cm steel plate at 500m, and i ran out of ammo. Williams long adjust peep sight. It's simply the heat that kills the group eventually, if you are chasing that ellusive bulleye ring.

i know a fella with a 30 xlr marlin that gets insanely good accuracy with it and competes in silly-wet (thanks for the term GR :D ) at belmont in brissy

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm

On my first visit to the NRA Whittington Centre in New Mexico, after the competition we shot off our left over ammo on the 1123 yard buffalo target they have set up on the hill behind the High Power Silhouette range. Once we worked out our hold-over, it was relatively easy to hit it with our lever guns. We did have to aim at a rockface halfway up the hill though...but apparently .30-30's are only good to 150 yards :allegedly:
(We had paperwork for bringing our empty cases home, not loaded rounds.)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 08 Jul 2023, 8:32 pm

30-30 is still hugely popular in north QLD. I remember when the premier tried to stop ammo sales in the first months of the covid debacle and blokes started stocking up. The local gunstores said the biggest sellers in centrefire were 223, 308, 30-30 before stuff like 243 and 270
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tassiebloke » 04 Aug 2023, 5:43 pm

absolutely. i use mine on the smaller deer species, pigs, goats etc. it's great! sure, it doesn't have the performance of today's magnum cartridges, but that's not what it was designed for. it's a great "thick stuff" gun, shoots well, and it's great fun too. what more could you want?
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Tassiebloke » 04 Aug 2023, 5:48 pm

bigrich wrote:
womble wrote:Image

:D :D :D good lord, i think i need to buy a winnie if it comes with , um, accessories :D

:i might have to go and ask at my local gun shop about that one... :D
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics