is the 30-30 still relevant ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: is the 30-30 still relevant ?

Post by bigrich » 15 Jun 2023, 5:19 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigrich wrote:
deye243 wrote:Must be late it's got one of them silly hammer blocks .
But it's a nice looking pice

yeah , i was never keen on the angle eject side safety model . "it's not a traditional 94..." i'd tell anybody . but ya know what , it's a really nice well made gun and the receivers are made out of better steel on this model apparently :unknown:

shoulders really nice with this stock . cheek weld seems to suit a scope or red dot as well as the open sights too . although that might be because of my big square head :D i'm not called "big rich" for nuthin' :lol: i'm half hearted about scoping it , don't want to upset that classic '94 carry and ballance

Yeah I still regret selling mine it was an early eighties model and after I tweaked the rifle it was actually quite accurate.
And I hear you on the head I got one like a watermelon.
there is a very slight chance I may be Able to purchase mine back 1 day just waiting for the Phone call

i've heard the term "kit gun" used on rossi's as they need tweaking to get them smooth . i think that applies to most lever guns in some way or form . i like projects anyway ;) i'm going to look at the mounting of the mag tube to try to nullify any "pull" on the barrel . the only thing about this rifle is it's a bit gappy with the inletting for the but stock to receiver and tang . i remember in2anity did a post about accurizing lever guns by using bedding compound to close up these gaps around the receiver and butt stock . i might look at that after a bit . gunna shoot it first and foremost :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 15 Jun 2023, 7:00 pm

Yeah that and relieving pressure on the band it was one of the tricks I used to use you put a bit of lock tight on the end of the thread but you don't do it up tight you just have it so it holds the magazine tube so the barrel can move when it vibrates made a big difference the one I had would shoot 2" at 100 easy and every now and then it would do 1" with the tipan 125 now they were a great pill .
Last edited by deye243 on 18 Jun 2023, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 18 Jun 2023, 12:39 pm

Hoping that photo does not feature Womble in his errrr, "recreational attire" :}
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Jun 2023, 1:33 pm

I could never afford a corset like that, not cheap
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2023, 4:24 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Hoping that photo does not feature Womble in his errrr, "recreational attire" :}

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 18 Jun 2023, 8:47 pm

25 push ups each
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2023, 4:08 am

Got the old girl set up with a set of new/old hilver mounts I bought online for $95. Could do with the scope being a little lower, but this’ll do for load development. Scope is a vx3 2.5-8 loopy. A vortex venom holographic red dot for field work is the ultimate goal as funds are available :thumbsup:
Attachments
21F87199-2583-4A6F-9D48-4EA5220E11BE.jpeg
This’ll do
21F87199-2583-4A6F-9D48-4EA5220E11BE.jpeg (353.68 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 19 Jun 2023, 4:25 am

She’s gorgeous. Really was a nice find. Someone loved that rifle and took good care of her.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 19 Jun 2023, 7:15 am

bigrich that is a nice set up
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2023, 7:43 am

Thanks fellas. I want to get the scope 1/4” lower for proper cheek weld . I’ll explore mount options. A 1.5-5x20 vx3 loopy would suit me better. When I had my 358win model 70 and used it for chasing pigs, I found I never needed to take it off 1.5 power
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 19 Jun 2023, 12:19 pm

OK I have to ask why is the scope on 1/2 turn anti clockwise? .
Not criticising as I new a bloke once that used to mount them like an X
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2023, 1:46 pm

deye243 wrote:OK I have to ask why is the scope on 1/2 turn anti clockwise? .
Not criticising as I new a bloke once that used to mount them like an X

Ah-ha . Very observant. It’s a trick I learned with owning sako 85’s and their high ejection angle. Turning the scope 90 degrees left gives a unobstructed ejection. The Winchester of mine ejects at around a 45 degree angle and having the scope like that will give less ejection problems and let me get the scope lower
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 19 Jun 2023, 2:00 pm

:thumbsup:
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Jun 2023, 4:45 pm

Nice bit of timber BigRich. You could try some sort of cheapie riser; they are heaps popular in our service rifle club on the scope days. This sort of thing: https://youtu.be/akQtZWzgxP8 There are proper nice leather ones about too
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by womble » 19 Jun 2023, 5:14 pm

Something like this

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2023, 7:03 pm

Mmmm, no riser on the stock for me thanks. I’ll try to get the scope lower, but the venom red dot is my goal. Should suit the drop of the stock. It’s got a little less drop than traditional 94 stocks on account of it was intended to be scoped. Another thing I found out is the big bore 94’s and angle ejects are supposed to be good for pressure in the 50,000 range, up from 40,000 in earlier 94’s . The big bore I believe, due to them being beefed up around the rear of the action around the locking lug ,but I’ll investigate the angle eject more before I load anything over max loads
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Jun 2023, 9:30 am

bigrich wrote:Mmmm, no riser on the stock for me thanks. I’ll try to get the scope lower, but the venom red dot is my goal. Should suit the drop of the stock. It’s got a little less drop than traditional 94 stocks on account of it was intended to be scoped. Another thing I found out is the big bore 94’s and angle ejects are supposed to be good for pressure in the 50,000 range, up from 40,000 in earlier 94’s . The big bore I believe, due to them being beefed up around the rear of the action around the locking lug ,but I’ll investigate the angle eject more before I load anything over max loads

Yeah fair - she really is a beautiful cricket bat. That LVR powder was good - just fill her right up to the FTX base, and they really do buck the wind pretty impressively all things considered, even at longer ranges.The hype was real, back then. Guess you you could get pretty ambitious with AR2206H given your "beefed" action? Do you ever use one of those calculators like quickload?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2023, 5:38 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:Mmmm, no riser on the stock for me thanks. I’ll try to get the scope lower, but the venom red dot is my goal. Should suit the drop of the stock. It’s got a little less drop than traditional 94 stocks on account of it was intended to be scoped. Another thing I found out is the big bore 94’s and angle ejects are supposed to be good for pressure in the 50,000 range, up from 40,000 in earlier 94’s . The big bore I believe, due to them being beefed up around the rear of the action around the locking lug ,but I’ll investigate the angle eject more before I load anything over max loads

Yeah fair - she really is a beautiful cricket bat. That LVR powder was good - just fill her right up to the FTX base, and they really do buck the wind pretty impressively all things considered, even at longer ranges.The hype was real, back then. Guess you you could get pretty ambitious with AR2206H given your "beefed" action? Do you ever use one of those calculators like quickload?

no i don't have quickload . i tend to peruse different load data and work up loads . i don't consider my 94AE to have a beefed action . better steel in my later action maybe . i'll play it safe and ramp up loads below max . i'm sure pigs won't know the difference :)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jun 2023, 8:58 pm

This guy seems to be pretty enthusiastic about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkCo19lnow
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 4:02 am

Merci beaucoup :thumbsup:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Jun 2023, 4:17 am

No1_49er wrote:This guy seems to be pretty enthusiastic about them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGkCo19lnow

Good video. He loves levers alright, I’ve wondered about how good the peddersoli’s and uberti’s are . I knew a fella who had a chiappa. He didn’t have any kind words about it ;) The fella in the video says he enjoys tracking “wounded game “ :wtf: they must hunt different in Europe. Clean kills are my goal :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 4:17 am

Browning 1873 flapper

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 4:18 am

I wonder if that patent is available for our Turkish friends
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 4:29 am

Or this one, note the screw

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Jun 2023, 10:12 am

womble wrote:Or this one, note the screw

Looks like it trips the trigger as you close the lever. Semi auto lever gun :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 3:00 pm

The flapper rifle is semi auto.
The trigger screw second pic is for fanning.
And then theres also cock spinning, which is as fun as it sounds
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jun 2023, 3:22 pm

And also really dangerous
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2023, 10:02 am

just a update , i went to sight in my new toy and the hilver mounts were way out of whack . with the scope wound all the way down i was one foot over the top of my target board at 25 yards :wtf: bought a set of leupold mounts and now she's spot on . scope definately requires being set up twisted 90 degrees to the left as windage turret screws up ejection :roll: i used low leupold rings , super low rings may get tried if i can find a earlier leupold scope with the smaller occular bell and mag adjustment ring for hammer clearance. i could always take the spur off the hammer with a grinder i guess........ :P
i need to do some "accurizing" as all groups rose from left to right on a 45 degree angle :) lever guns with barrel bands and mag tubes hey :lol: my rifle doesn't like 170 sierras at all . never had luck with sierras in any of my rifles for that matter :P
however the 150 hornady RN load that deye243 gave me 1.4" at 100 . more tuning on this could improve it . and it too grouped on a 45 degree angle :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2023, 11:06 am

I only have 3030s without that middle band now. And the front band shouldn't be tight - just a capture for the tube. From my experience, when that's tight, it's largely what will cause stringing. There was that 336BL at one point also - it omitted the bands, and by all accounts seem to punch holes better.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics