It just doesn't add up right

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

It just doesn't add up right

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jun 2023, 11:38 pm

I find the following pretty bizarre,,,,,,
With all the rule makers and do gooders out there regarding "Minimum Caliber for the various Species"

ie: It's frowned on if a person were to go hunting pigs or deer with only a .22rf :wtf:

And yet,,,,,, it's perfectly ok when it comes to the Firearms/Weapons Licensing rules and regulations.
Very few people have Cat C licenses in general,, and the vast majority of those are only granted one on the basis of being landowners for pest destruction.
Even fewer get granted Cat D

In the case of Cat C the issue of such license is limited to,,,,, One only .22rf and if your lucky,, also,,, One only 12g shottie

So here you have a case of miss match whereupon the firearm/caliber does not necessarily meet the Minimum Caliber for Species rules.
A big MAYBE ok in the case of a 12g shottie,,,,,,,,,, but definitely not so in the case of the .22 rf when it comes to the likes of Pigs or Deer
Getting close enough to a mob of big pigs or deer with a shottie just makes the cull or extermination even harder.
Probably the biggest need in Australia for pest destruction would fall under pigs,deer, and dogs, and in most of if not all of those,,, a 22rf just isn't suitable.

Yet these are the limitations and frustrations forced upon C Class license holders by the law makers.

Like I said,,,, it just doesn't add up right.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: It just doesn't add up right

Post by wrenchman » 21 Jun 2023, 4:23 am

you can do a lot with a shot gun i have seen them take a lot of large animals and have lost count of the deer i have got with it for years i hunted in areas were it was what i was allowed to hunt deer with.
I hunt in a area were i can hunt with rifles now but have not shot a deer yet that i could not take with a shot gun.
To be real fair i have only got 2 pigs and both were well under 50 yards and would be easy with a shot gun.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 4:37 am

I think most in QLD don’t bother with C and go straight to D.
But if you’re trapping pigs the 22 is still your most cost effective for controlling them.
No one really understands why semi auto 22 rim fire was banned anyway. So if you need a 22 for that type of task why not use modern machinery. I mean they’ve been around for a hundred years. I know Queenslanders are a bit simple but they’re not Stone Age.
It’s difficult to assert that a 10/22 is an assault rifle because it’s near impossible to get them to chamber centerfire rounds.
And in Queensland there will be no shortage of farmers who’ve made that discovery and concluded that something doesn’t add up here.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 21 Jun 2023, 7:17 am

Its an obvious thing of history I think the 22 was allowed through for rabbits. The pest that was in numbers enough to really make plinking a thing. A time where multiple kills in a short period of time was obtainable.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2023, 9:26 am

womble wrote:I think most in QLD don’t bother with C and go straight to D.
But if you’re trapping pigs the 22 is still your most cost effective for controlling them.
No one really understands why semi auto 22 rim fire was banned anyway. So if you need a 22 for that type of task why not use modern machinery. I mean they’ve been around for a hundred years. I know Queenslanders are a bit simple but they’re not Stone Age.
It’s difficult to assert that a 10/22 is an assault rifle because it’s near impossible to get them to chamber centerfire rounds.
And in Queensland there will be no shortage of farmers who’ve made that discovery and concluded that something doesn’t add up here.

As per usual there are always those "simple" ones here on the forum that jump to conclusions by reading only what they themselves want to see/read,,,,,
and therefore miss the point entirely.
Praps do some simple research to ascertain the percentage of shooters that have Cat D compared to Cat C, for the above mentioned purpose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
And,, then understand the inequalities of which I was actually referring to, for those that don't have Cat D and are forced to operate with only Cat C at best.

It is the legislation downfall here,,,,,,,,,,, not the caliber.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by northdude » 21 Jun 2023, 11:33 am

I find it strange you have caliber limits but a bow and arrow is ok
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 21 Jun 2023, 1:41 pm

The bit that proves the power's that be are totally inept morons is it is ok to shoot a sambar with a 357mag but not a 243 6.5cm or any of the other cals under .270 with a lot more power.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2023, 2:47 pm

deye243 wrote:The bit that proves the power's that be are totally inept morons is it is ok to shoot a sambar with a 357mag but not a 243 6.5cm or any of the other cals under .270 with a lot more power.

That regulation was actually put together by some very experienced deer hunters though...
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 4:10 pm

Must have been a very small sambar.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 4:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

As per usual there are always those "simple" ones here on the forum that jump to conclusions by reading only what they themselves want to see/read,,,,,
and therefore miss the point entirely.
Praps do some simple research to ascertain the percentage of shooters that have Cat D compared to Cat C, for the above mentioned purpose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
And,, then understand the inequalities of which I was actually referring to, for those that don't have Cat D and are forced to operate with only Cat C at best.

It is the legislation downfall here,,,,,,,,,,, not the caliber.

No because they’re not forced to have cat c if they need cat d. They just get d .
Cat c isn’t for controlling feral pigs, dogs, deer. There’s other legitimate needs for it. Birds eating crops. Clay shooters with a medical reason, firearms instructors, various occupational, probably a heap more I can’t think of.
If you have a feral pig problem and you own or operate a sugar cane business why would you get cat c. You wouldn’t. Nor would you be forced to instead of cat d.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2023, 4:22 pm

womble wrote:No because they’re not forced to have cat c if they need cat d. They just get d .
Cat c isn’t for controlling feral pigs, dogs, deer. There’s other legitimate needs for it. Birds eating crops. Clay shooters with a medical reason, firearms instructors, various occupational, probably a heap more I can’t think of.
If you have a feral pig problem and you own or operate a sugar cane business why would you get cat c. You wouldn’t. Nor would you be forced to instead of cat d.

I doubt getting CatD in Qld is any easier than getting it down here. You pretty much have to earn your income from shooting vertebrate pest animals to qualify for CatD, so unlikely for farmers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Jun 2023, 4:29 pm

northdude wrote:I find it strange you have caliber limits but a bow and arrow is ok

Because an arrow works nothing like a modern bullet.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 5:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
womble wrote:No because they’re not forced to have cat c if they need cat d. They just get d .

I doubt getting CatD in Qld is any easier than getting it down here. You pretty much have to earn your income from shooting vertebrate pest animals to qualify for CatD, so unlikely for farmers.

It’s not easy because there are other options you’d have to explore and exhaust first. Poisons, fences other deterrents.
Cat d is far north on big commercial properties. Generally it would be outsourced work to pro shooters. But it might also be the work of farmers and their employees. It won’t be easy to get and would be assessed on a case by case basis.
I think you sit the same course for cat c or d in QLD.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Jun 2023, 5:34 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2023, 9:34 pm

womble wrote:
It’s not easy because there are other options you’d have to explore and exhaust first. Poisons, fences other deterrents.
Cat d is far north on big commercial properties. Generally it would be outsourced work to pro shooters. But it might also be the work of farmers and their employees. It won’t be easy to get and would be assessed on a case by case basis. ( WOW, did you just have a brain fart ? )
I think you sit the same course for cat c or d in QLD.

The following is pretty much apparent,

> You obviously don't live in a true country area,
> you don't earn your crust from the country,
> you don't hold either Cat C or Cat D
> you had a cheap uncalled for shot about Queenslanders being "simple". Bloke,,, you seem to excel in that category
> you still have not addressed the main point,, and quite frankly I doubt you ever will be able to.
> If you did live in country and earn crust from it,, you would see that most of what your saying is pretty much folly
> I simply cannot type any slower,,,,, to aid your reasonings nor fathoming.

I reckon also,,,,,,, that WLB would be fascinated to find out that Cat D is only FNQ on big commercial properties. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2023, 9:41 pm

womble wrote:.

No because they’re not forced to have cat c if they need cat d. They just get d ..

We should frame this piece of brilliance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The solution was so "simple"

:lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2023, 9:52 pm

bladeracer wrote:

A touch of true brilliance there Mate,,,,,, "unlikely for farmers" who need it,,,,,,, but not a snowflakes chance in hell of being granted.

:drinks: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jun 2023, 11:53 am

Cat D. Stands for. “ dreamin ! “. Never goin to happen
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mickb » 08 Jul 2023, 8:40 pm

I know Queenslanders are a bit simple but they’re not Stone Age.

As simple of victorians bringing in trophy hunting seasons for introduced species. :crazy:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics