6.5 swede loads and speed

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6.5 swede loads and speed

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2023, 5:51 pm

hey fellas , i'm looking to share handloading with 6.5x55 tikka T3 . finally got to chrono my loads on the weekend and it was mildly supprising and confusing :crazy:
looking at noslers data , man are they optomistc ;) speeds are waaay higher than what i got with some loads . been reading on yank forums 2800-2900fps with 140's :wtf: my 43.5gn of 2209 with a 140sst @3.106" col gave me 2580fps 44.1gn 2209 gave 2620fps , but at this point the case starts to show slight signs of flow into the ejector hole in the bolt face . primers look good , but brass flow is not good in my book. my other chrono-ed load was 120 noslers @2820fps for 45.5gn of 2209 . another good load is the 125 partition with 44.5gn of 2209 for a guess-ta-mated speed of 2740fps , cause at this point my magnetospeed barrel mounted chrono had worked loose and i shot one corner off the mounting housing :cry: :cry:

accuracy is more important to me than speed , but the 6.5x55 must have the wildest extremes of data and "internet loads" and speeds of any cartride i've looked at . i'm just curious of what loads and speed you guys are getting , and if there's any easy way of changing my reloading to pick up extra speed without preasure .
i'm using lapua brass and fed210 primers .cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: 6.5 swede loads and speed

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2023, 6:40 pm

Hi, bigrich.

I did some basic comparisons for a mild load in one of my 30.06s a while back. What ADI said I would get was consistantly about 200fps MORE than what Greg's Reloading Tool (GRT) said I would get. (GRT data is based on real testing)

Sooo, I'm guessing most powder manufacturers exagerate what you will actually get.

Note: I have not had any loads tested using a chronograph.

Note: All my loads are mild. I start low, as soon as I get an accurate load I stop and leave it at that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Jun 2023, 7:26 pm

Don't forget tikka barrels are renowned to be slow compared to other brands the 2 I have and had proved this to be right
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2023, 8:05 pm

deye243 wrote:Don't forget tikka barrels are renowned to be slow compared to other brands the 2 I have and had proved this to be right

i think you might be right about tikka barrels being slow .on the other end of the scale i had a madco barreled model 70 years ago that exceeded nosler's load data with RE22 . 2810-2830 fps with 140sst's . it was a warm load but no preasure signs . i'm thinking about sticking with lighter projectiles in my tikka to get a bit more speed for flatter shooting , but no preasure issues . 129gn sst's ,130 accubonds or 125 gn partitions are what i'm looking at . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2023, 8:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Hi, bigrich.

I did some basic comparisons for a mild load in one of my 30.06s a while back. What ADI said I would get was consistantly about 200fps MORE than what Greg's Reloading Tool (GRT) said I would get. (GRT data is based on real testing)

Sooo, I'm guessing most powder manufacturers exagerate what you will actually get.

Note: I have not had any loads tested using a chronograph.

Note: All my loads are mild. I start low, as soon as I get an accurate load I stop and leave it at that.

"mild" loads in a 30-06 are nothing to be sneezed at but ...... ;)
my 6.5 is silly accurate , but needs reasonable velocity for projectile expansion and energy transfer :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by northdude » 27 Jun 2023, 4:27 pm

My t3 seems to like the 120 sierras
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 27 Jun 2023, 5:01 pm

northdude wrote:My t3 seems to like the 120 sierras

how do the 120 sierras go and what game do you use them on ND ? mine seems to be able to be loaded up more with 2209 and the lighter projectiles . i'm thinking about lightening up my projectile weights to 120-130's and using my swede in more of a 257 bob/243 kinda role . most of the pigs and such i come across don't get past 50kg with just the occasional big'un .
140sst's deffinately track REALLY good over distance , i've tried a few long shots and supprised myself . that was with 44.8gn of 2209 , which produced a defined little dimple in the case head from the ejector hole . primers were starting to look a little flatter with that load but not bad . probably tracking over 2700fps that one . i'm 60 thou off the lands with most of my loads with less than 1/2" groups .
i've considered getting a ackley reamer , which besides getting a little more powder volume , could fix preasure and the case head dimples . like a lot of older cases the swede has a lot of taper . that's probably not helping bolt thrust which could be the cause of the dimples . maybe :D straight walling it would probably help :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jun 2023, 9:42 pm

deye243 wrote:Don't forget tikka barrels are renowned to be slow compared to other brands the 2 I have and had proved this to be right

Strange I had a T3 in the Swede and was using 2209 to push 143 ELDX to 2980 fps. No signs of pressure. I found load data for the Swede frustrating and was up to six grains above the max before any pressure signs.
I used CCI Magnum primers and Lapua brass. It was a hunting load and didn't seat anywhere near the lands. Just to mag length. Shot the barrel out and replaced it with a Hardy which gave me similar speeds.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Jun 2023, 9:49 pm

I use Lab Radar to measure bullet speed.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 28 Jun 2023, 4:16 am

The sierras go really well. A typical 3 shot group at 100m will consistantly go 3/4 of an inch or under. Over here I shoot small pigs goats and deer. Shoot them in the right spot they go down. Im using 2209 as well. I do a lot of bush hunting so ranges are pretty close. I found the 140s tended to pencil through at close range as well so went lighter
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2023, 7:35 am

SCJ429 wrote:

Strange I had a T3 in the Swede and was using 2209 to push 143 ELDX to 2980 fps. No signs of pressure. I found load data for the Swede frustrating and was up to six grains above the max before any pressure signs.
I used CCI Magnum primers and Lapua brass. It was a hunting load and didn't seat anywhere near the lands. Just to mag length. Shot the barrel out and replaced it with a Hardy which gave me similar speeds.

Magnum primer may be the key. A mate told me recently that uncle nick recommended magnum primer for free extra speed in some cases. Hmmm, I have some magnum primer kicking around :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jun 2023, 7:38 am

northdude wrote:The sierras go really well. A typical 3 shot group at 100m will consistantly go 3/4 of an inch or under. Over here I shoot small pigs goats and deer. Shoot them in the right spot they go down. Im using 2209 as well. I do a lot of bush hunting so ranges are pretty close. I found the 140s tended to pencil through at close range as well so went lighter

The great thing about a tikka is you can carry different loads in different magazines and change them out as required. If you got time ;) pigs have a habit of jumping up under my feet at times :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 02 Jul 2023, 10:17 am

I'm 3 grains over Max with nobler 140s in a m98 action no pressure signs don't know what velocity but should be up there also using g 250 primers 2209 powder
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 02 Jul 2023, 11:03 am

phill55phill wrote:I'm 3 grains over Max with nobler 140s in a m98 action no pressure signs don't know what velocity but should be up there also using g 250 primers 2209 powder

what powder is that with phil ? i just bought some 129sst's to try in my 6.5x55 tikka . i'll get the max accurate 2209 load with these and trial them on my next trip . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 03 Jul 2023, 8:13 am

phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2023, 4:34 pm

phill55phill wrote:2209

yup, righto. thanks phil :thumbsup: i've gone past max loads in the past in other rifles with no preasure signs . dunno why my tikka is preasuring up :unknown:
might try some magnum primers , but it's a bit pointless if i can't buy any more . probably go to lighter projectiles and try to get some better than average speed that way . just means shot placement will be a little bit more important :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 09 Jul 2023, 2:20 pm

Only used magnum primers because that is all I have
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jul 2023, 4:42 pm

I used CCI Magnum primers because they lowered my ES and SD.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Jul 2023, 6:58 pm

went out to my local range to sight in my 140sst load today for a upcoming freindly comp with the ozzie deer association at the end of the month . my load of 43.5 gn of 2209 was producing very, very slight marks on the case head from the ejector hole in the bolt face . not enough to worry about . fed210 primers look fine. for a "out of the box" tikka dropped in a B&C stock she does alright . .7" @ 100 1.3/4" high ,1.5"@ 200 for 0, 3" @300 f0r 7" low. that load cruises 2580fps that'll do for hunting rifle accuracy . best thing is it's extremely consistant . i've a sneaking suspicion my rifle might respond better with 2213sc for 140's .

i did some load work ups with 129sst's , found a real nice .6" @100 node with 44.8gn of 09 .col 3.105". tried something different though . i used win large rifle primers instead of fed210 and no preasure signs at all . hmmm. i might work up a little more and watch for the ejector hole mark . could be a change in primer might yield better results . by cross referencing to other load results that were cronoed , i estimate i'm getting 2750-2800fps out of the 129sst's . should give better ballistic performance than my 140 load . i'm not going to go round and round wearing out a barrel on load developement i'll probably settle on the 129sst as a "do all" load and see how far she'll go with powder . "xxl load data" website is very accurately close to my crono results.
another point of interest is i noticed nosler's high FPS with their load data and ruger m77 high fps with swede loads has something in common . 1-9 twist ratio . slower twist , more bullet speed . and i don't think 1-9 wouldn't work well with 140"s . if i feel like a project a 6.5x55 ackley with a 1-9 twist 24" barrel could be on the cards :) super-swede ! :lol:

anyone got any feed back on game performance with 129sst's at around 2800fps . i feel like my 140's are overkill on anything less than a red stag anyway :thumbsup:

i'm waiting for some joker to tell me to just buy a 308...... :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics