Best 22 Magnum ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Best 22 Magnum ammo

Post by waimo » 16 Jul 2023, 6:22 pm

Have been using the standard winchester 40 grain jhp on close Red Necked Wallaby over here in nz.. A big buck will go 25 - 30 kg but the projectiles seen to punch clean through with little or no expansion , causing the animals to run before expiring . Wondering if a more explosive load would be the go for on the spot kills. Maybe the hornady 30 grain V max load . What are you guys using on foxes out of the 22 magnum ?
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Best 22 Magnum ammo

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jul 2023, 6:47 pm

waimo wrote:Have been using the standard winchester 40 grain jhp on close Red Necked Wallaby over here in nz.. A big buck will go 25 - 30 kg but the projectiles seen to punch clean through with little or no expansion , causing the animals to run before expiring . Wondering if a more explosive load would be the go for on the spot kills. Maybe the hornady 30 grain V max load . What are you guys using on foxes out of the 22 magnum ?

I would avoid Winchester anyway. But the "best" will be whichever shoots most accurately in your rifle, that will allow you to properly place the bullet where it counts instead of relying on the bullet to deform. Brain and cervical spine are the ideal places to place your bullets. We are legally required to head-shoot kangaroos over here. Whether the 30gn bullet is more likely to deform at the distances at which heavier bullets might not seems unlikely. It's probably still limited to about 80m as the light bullet dumps velocity quicker, heavier bullets would hold their velocity longer. The Hornady 30gn for example starts at 2200fps but is down to 1421fps at 91m and 1002fps at 182m. They state that the bullet only functions down as low as 1600fps, so about 80m tops. CCI's 30gn BT also starts at 2200fps but has 1571fps at 91m. CCI's 46gn Segmented HP starts at 1875fps but at 91m still has 1403fps. This one might be a good choice for longer distances perhaps. But if you're trying to use the WMR over about 80m you really do need to assume the bullet will behave as an FMJ and aim for the kill zones.
Last edited by bladeracer on 16 Jul 2023, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 16 Jul 2023, 7:51 pm

Yep, as Blade has already said.
I used the 40gr winchester for many years and results were good shooting thousands of rabbits and foxes. I have changed to the CCI Game point because of better accuracy and more consistent bullet performance.

The lighter bullets shoot even more accurate in my .22 Mag with substantial differences between each makers product. You will need to test these in your own rifle.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 31 Jul 2023, 4:12 pm

Hello Waimo

Some years ago, I used to own a 22 magnum, and I found the ammo I tried wasn't too accurate in my rifle.
I tried a number of various types and weights of bullets, and none seemed to have any real consistent accuracy in my rifle.

Then I came across some Remington, Accutip-V 33gr. They were a premium bullet, they seemed to shoot better in my rifle.
But and there is always a BUT....they were very expensive.
It was cheaper for me to use 223 than the 22WMR.
So, I sold my 22 Magnum.
Attachments
22WMR2 (2).jpg
22WMR2 (2).jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
22WMR2 (1).jpg
22WMR2 (1).jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 31 Jul 2023, 8:57 pm

I have used many 22 Magnum bullets in a switch barrel that has won a benchrest championship. Using a 36X scope the most accurate were hornady 30gr Vmax. Then it was 33gr Remy Vmax followed by 50gr Federal. The latter having a rainbow trajectory and only recommend if you need good penetration.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 04 Aug 2023, 11:24 am

My CZ455 HATES the CCI Maxi-Mag 40gn JHP cartridges.
Lucky if I get 1 round in 10 feed into the chamber.
Tried all 3 magazines (2 poly and 1 steel), and they all do same.
Followed the CZ instruction for bending the rear mag-follower leg (instructions are for .22LR feed issues), but no improvement.
Frustrating that I'd bought a 200-round brick of the damn things, before realising they dont feed.

Finally part of the problem; a step/ridge formed in the copper projectile about 5mm in front of the case mouth, and it catches on the chamber during feeding.
Solution was to use either the Hornady Vmax ammo, or the CCI VNT ammo; both feed with zero problems, and seem to be giving me around 1.5" at 100 yards.

Some time I'll revisit the problem; looks like the cartridge isnt angled correctly when being stripped off the mag, but not sure adjusting the mag follower will be enough to solve it.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics