Sierra gameking 55gr

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Sierra gameking 55gr

Post by S O K A R » 18 Aug 2023, 9:36 pm

Has anyone used/still using the australian outback sierra gameking 55gr in their 223?
My local store is selling cans of these (900 rounds) for $1,200, seems to be a decent deal as far as tassie prices go....
Something you'd recommend? Or should I steer clear?

Cheers
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Sierra gameking 55gr

Post by geoff » 18 Aug 2023, 9:59 pm

I don't work in a gunshop so I don't have the data but anecdotally, this has got to be the most popular factory 223 round at the moment

I just bought a 900rd can for $950 in WA

If your rifle shoots that stuff well enough, and you're not a massive volume shooter just after a "good enough" 55gn soft point round for the bush....you would have to be mad to bother reloading 223 at those prices.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jorlcrin » 19 Aug 2023, 6:14 am

Yes, We use them (Western QLD).
[Assuming we are talking the 55gn SP, and not the Blitzking Polymer tipped ones?]
It depends upon what game you are mostly shooting, though.

Up until early this year, we were buying these cans rather than relaoding, because as Geoff said, it was so close to the price point of reloading, and I didnt really have the time anyway.
I always try to keep a can in the ammo fridge.

We find them a bit light on larger pigs, but great on smaller game.
Consistent, and accurate; cant ask for more.
They are an ADI product, and it's good quality brass for reloading.
The only brass I've been able to buy that is better quality are Lapua and Norma, and both are much more expensive.

Probably prefer the polymer-tipped Blitzkings if I can get them (less mess when rattling around in the ammo box in the car), but either work well on small game.

Larger pigs we are getting great success with reloaded 68gn Hornady Match pills; not recommended for hunting, but they penetrate mud on the shoulder of large pigs, and stop them.
I'd be happy with another can of the Aussie Outback ammo .223 if/when I next the chance to see one.

And you get a steel ammo can thrown in as well!
$1.33 a round is pretty cheap for the quality; in my mind.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 19 Aug 2023, 6:22 pm

I used 400 rounds of the 62G in QLD recently, pretty good stuff. Does ricochet now and then, my normal reloads are 60G Nosler varmint and no ricochet there.
The ADI is 2950, my reloads are 3150 so I was running 150Y zero with them rather than 200Y.
Shot 300+ roos and about a dozen pigs with them.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bello » 20 Aug 2023, 8:54 am

Hello S O K A R

I have found this ammunition to be accurate in my 223 rifles. Both the lead tip and polymer. Both are very accurate and devastating.
I prefer the polymer tip for small thin-skinned game at reasonable distances, (For me that's under 200 meters).
I use the lead tip for closer work on game that may be a little bit more resilient, such as small pigs. That's if I don't have a larger caliber rifle on hand at that moment.

When asked by other shooters/hunters weather to buy ammo or reload ammo, I always ask how much they are going to use. I find that for the regular hunter it is better to just buy this ammo as they tend not to shoot that many bullets. Saves a lot of time.

As for price, all I can say is that all our consumables, being; projectiles, cases, primers etc are getting hard to source at this present time, and prices are reflecting that (supply and demand forces).

If this ammo shoots well in your gun, your on a winner. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 21 Aug 2023, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, ended up buying a can to see how it goes in my rifle
I was looking at reloading, but at this price it seems counter productive time wise
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2023, 12:39 pm

S O K A R wrote:Thanks for the replies, ended up buying a can to see how it goes in my rifle
I was looking at reloading, but at this price it seems counter productive time wise

The 55gn SGK's are cheap, one of the cheapest bullets available, under 20c apiece. Reduce your loads below factory levels and your brass will last virtually forever, so all you're paying for is primers, powder, and bullets. Very cheap centrefire shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 21 Aug 2023, 6:06 pm

Is this the same as the Buffalo River stuff?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 22 Aug 2023, 1:05 pm

Both of these .223 rounds are accurate in my two rifles. They shoot as good as I can in the field.
Pick the one that suits the animals you are shooting.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics