Dummy/Blank/Practice Cartridges Query

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Dummy/Blank/Practice Cartridges Query

Post by Jorlcrin » 02 Sep 2023, 9:32 am

Rummaging through my Grandfathers stuff the other day; came upon his box of assorted Dummy cartridges.

The dummy .303 Brit (2 different styles) at the bottom is obvious.
Same with the .45ACP dummys (Centre Top) - Some serious Crimpage to leave you in no doubt it's dummy!
Same with the .30-06 Bottom Left.

Ammo top-left is a query for you all; HeadStamp is R^L (Royal Laboratory (1696–1965). – Woolwich, Greenwich, London, United Kingdom.)
Bottom of Headstamp is "O I' - Definately NOT a 1.
Would it possibly be .442 revolver?

Ammo Top right, I now realise is TWO different types; one rimmed and one rimless.
Possible the rimless is .38 Super, but I'll have to go look again to see if I can get a clear headstamp of each.
Looks like I didnt get Headstamp pics of either type of .303 dummy rounds in the clips, but the 2 in centre look to have 'CAC' (- Colonial Ammunition Company) - which suggests Australia or NZ, but I'll need to get better pics of both to see if I can unravel the rest of their stories.

2 cases in the middle (.303?) I read is supposed to be for display(hence the holes)?

After I took this pic, I found another stash that had a few more of the .303 dummys, so might be yet more different dummys to find..

Any info appreciated.
Attachments
20230830_163916 (2)_Downsized.jpg
20230830_163916 (2)_Downsized.jpg (651.49 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Dummy/Blank/Practice Cartridges Query

Post by JohnV » 02 Sep 2023, 9:53 am

We called them drill rounds in my day . They are used in training people before they are given live ammo .
I used to make them up in 12 ga and 223 for my department work mates to practice with so they never shot their foot off.
Always check drill rounds before use as a live round could get mixed up with the drill rounds and go unnoticed .
Similar to what happened with the Alec Baldwin incident when someone could not tell live ammo from blanks .
Drill rounds have a projectile to simulate normal feeding and blanks should not have a projectile and have a star crimped case neck , can be either a brass case or black plastic with an alloy base . Also in Military ammo you can get a ballistite round which looks like a normal blank but is quite powerful for driving grenades . Should not be used as blanks as they are more dangerous .
The holes in the case wall are probably just another way to show it's a drill round .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Sep 2023, 5:37 pm

455_mk1_bs.jpg
455_mk1_bs.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 541 times
455_drill_bs.jpg
455_drill_bs.jpg (3.58 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Top left is 455 Webley, headstamp will be D or C ( C looks almost closed on the headstamp), D I is Dummy MkI which RL made a lot of, or Cordite MkI converted to dummy.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 05 Sep 2023, 4:43 am

So,

The .455 rounds look to be the bottom one of the 2 pics No1Mk3 posted, with a larger(Berdan?) primer, and what looks to be a red lacquer on it.
Only thing is, I'd swear mine says "O I", rather than "D I", but I'll have another good look at it to be sure.

I did finally come across some pics of the .445 Webley, and the overall size and crimp style suggested(To me) it might be a Mk II.

I found another website that stated that the holes and/or the crimped grooves in the case wall, were there to enable the user to pick out a drill/dummy round in the dark. Must admit; that makes sense.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics