What one calibre for hunting all species of deer

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

What one calibre for hunting all species of deer

Post by Small Fry » 04 Sep 2023, 2:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to figure out what calibre to get for an all round hunting outfit... Some background, I will mostly be hunting Fallow deer in my local area but would like to be able to target Sambar/Reds etc. when the opportunity arises. I am in the mind of spending on one good rifle/scope etc. rather than having to split the funds between two possibly lesser/heavier outfits.

I am also mindful of meat damage, I don't want to destroy a Fallow doe, meat recovery is important but also need to put the brakes on a Sambar stag. I realise there is compromises with any choice and shot placement etc. will all play a role. I guess I am trying to find what calibre ticks most of the boxes, i.e.one calibre to rule them all for Aussie hunting.

I am open minded and happy to learn from others, currently I am leaning towards a 30-06. The reason being that it is versatile - Many people say with heavier loads at slower velocity the 30-06 causes less damage on small deer compared to a faster moving projectile, like from a 243... The 30-06 also undoubtedly will have no issues stopping pretty much anything else in Australia at typical hunting ranges.

Help me convince myself this is a good calibre choice or open my mind to other good options? Any opinions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)
Small Fry
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: What one calibre for hunting all species of deer

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Sep 2023, 9:44 pm

Yes a 30/06 will do the job, so will a 308 or a 7mm08. Why not consider something a little more interesting like a 7mm WSM or 300 WSM. So many options for you but a 243 isn’t one of them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2023, 10:15 pm

Small Fry wrote:Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to figure out what calibre to get for an all round hunting outfit... Some background, I will mostly be hunting Fallow deer in my local area but would like to be able to target Sambar/Reds etc. when the opportunity arises. I am in the mind of spending on one good rifle/scope etc. rather than having to split the funds between two possibly lesser/heavier outfits.

I am also mindful of meat damage, I don't want to destroy a Fallow doe, meat recovery is important but also need to put the brakes on a Sambar stag. I realise there is compromises with any choice and shot placement etc. will all play a role. I guess I am trying to find what calibre ticks most of the boxes, i.e.one calibre to rule them all for Aussie hunting.

I am open minded and happy to learn from others, currently I am leaning towards a 30-06. The reason being that it is versatile - Many people say with heavier loads at slower velocity the 30-06 causes less damage on small deer compared to a faster moving projectile, like from a 243... The 30-06 also undoubtedly will have no issues stopping pretty much anything else in Australia at typical hunting ranges.

Help me convince myself this is a good calibre choice or open my mind to other good options? Any opinions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Do you load your own ammo or are you stuck with factory offerings?
If you load your own ammo my preference is 7mm-08, if you have to use factory then .308, or .30-30 if you prefer a lever-action. .30-06 is a great cartridge, but it requires a long-action, which is unnecessary nowadays. If you think you'll want to hunt even bigger beasts, like donkeys, horses or camels then something bigger than the .30-06 might be better. It's also possible you might have to choose from a limited range of chamberings offered in a rifle you particularly prefer. But if you load your own ammo then you can load any obscure cartridge so the chambering is no longer an issue.

A rifle that comes with iron sights can be a bonus when you're hunting in wet weather, optics suck when they're wet.

If you want to maximise meat then practice head or cervical spine shots.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Sep 2023, 11:12 pm

A 308 will cover all your needs, use light pills on Fallow, heavier on Reds and Sambar.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Sep 2023, 11:51 pm

270W thank me later .
Don't believe all the internet bs on the 270 I have seen a factory winchester 150 power point go from front to the opposite hind quarter at 70 yards plenty of Penetration.
And there are plenty of hunters using 110 pills in a 270 on fallow
But as you know they are very small so if meat recovery is a factor you better learn to head and neck shoot .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tassiebloke » 06 Sep 2023, 12:46 am

i have to nominate the 30-06. if you do your part it'll do sambar out to 400+
saying that, there are many, many cartridges that can do the same job. 280 rem, 270 win, 7mm rem mag, 7x57, 7-08, 308 and the list goes on and on and on.
i'd stick with a 30-06 with a 2-10 or 3-9 power scope.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Billo » 06 Sep 2023, 7:45 am

308W handles all the deer up to Reds easily and with the right projectile choice and range a Sambar is doable.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jorlcrin » 06 Sep 2023, 8:04 am

I'd vote .308, myself.

Much more availability of ammo (and brass for reloading), and there are very few animals who walk away from a well-placed .308 round (of the right projectile weight /type).
I'd also be surprised if you cant load a .308 to be as bitey or as mild as you need for the hunting of anything found in Australia.
The 7mm-08 would likely be my next suggestion, but the .308 still wins out for projectile range, and ammo availability (though 7mm-08 ammo IS getting more common).

IF I already HAD a .30-06, then it would be a no-brainer.
But if I was buying a rifle new, then the versatility of the .308, as well as the consumables/supplies available to support the caliber, it's hard to pass up.
I just dont know what you get for the extra case capacity(30-06 vs 308), IF you are buying a new rifle.

AND; the options to re-barrel a .308 into something else, are huge.
7mm-08, .260 Rem, .243 Win are all popular cartridges in their own right, and are based on that same bolt-face and approx. cartridge length.

There are many similar rounds based on the .30-06 case directly, but ammo availability is much more limited.

6 months back, I walked into the gun store and picked up 200 of the Federal 130Gn Hp factory rounds.
I walked into the gun store again the other day, bought a can of 480 rounds of ADI 165Gn GameKings, and a box of 200 Federal 150Gn PowerPoints.
I'd be lucky if the local gun store stocks more than a couple of 20-round boxes of .30-06, and my projectiles options will be non-existant.
(Though this also partly reflects what game is available locally - sod-all deer..)

So, as much as a .30-06 is a fantastic trooper in it's own right, for the needs stated by the OP, I'd be suggesting a .308.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 06 Sep 2023, 8:54 am

bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2023, 12:50 pm

This Qn comes up often.

Your in tassie, but in Vic there are minimum requirements. Therefore:

They are popular for a reason.
Very available.
Legal all species
Cheap components for reloading.
But there are other options as previously mentioned.
For fallow, load a lighter bullet if your worried.

Min Deer Cartridges New.JPG
Min Deer Cartridges New.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Sep 2023, 12:56 pm

At the end of the day you'll most likely discover that trying to stick to just one rifle/caliber is not gonna be entirely favorable.

However,, that being said,, if I were to hypothetically stick to just one rifle/caliber it would be as the majority here have already indicated.
>>>>>>>>> .308

But,,,,,, have you thought about considering an Under/Over combination,,,,, ie: 12g/308 or 12g/30-06 (if that particular combo is made)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics