Lever Action Silhouette

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Lever Action Silhouette

Post by Pepperpete » 14 Sep 2023, 2:27 pm

First time poster. I'm no longer shooting pistol comp but I have just acquired a Rossi .357 lever action for shooting lever action pistol calibre silhouette. As I have a ton of .357 cases and 125gn Boyne lead projectiles I was wondering what your thoughts were about using these to shoot steel out to 100m? Wondering how they will go for rams at 100m? I do think they will be OK for the shorter distances. Any comments?
Pepperpete
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Lever Action Silhouette

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Sep 2023, 12:02 am

I knock rams at 100 with a 9mm Browning using 115 and 124g projies, I can see no problem using 125g in a 357mag rifle that fires faster velocity than a Hi-Power.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Sep 2023, 8:29 am

They will be fine, a .22 rimfire will knock them down. There is two schools of thought on lever-action silhouette loads. Some folks go for fast and flat, no adjusting sights,
others use mild loads and adjust sights. I'm in the second group, these guns shoot very accurately at lower velocities, your follow through is far easier to maintain and that is a big factor in consistently hitting the targets.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Sep 2023, 8:37 am

wise words from GR. Follow through is everything, from smallbore to fullbore. Whenever I'm going through a sh!t patch, I focus on follow through, with tonnes of dry fire.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pepperpete » 15 Sep 2023, 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm about to load a few. The shortage of pistol powders is a pain :-(
Pepperpete
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Sep 2023, 5:18 pm

12 gr of 2207 works in the .357
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics