.22LR Uppercut from CCI

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .22LR Uppercut from CCI

Post by bigpete » 21 Feb 2024, 9:29 pm

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:Don't discount the VELOSATORS this is one out of a fellow deer at 70y .
Not shot my me .
Screenshot_20240221_133522_Gallery_copy_768x1647.jpg

The Velocitor is good ammunition, especially if it groups well in your rifle.

Why wasn't it head shot? A .22LR bullet can definitely kill, even at hundreds of meters, but I wouldn't be relying on it to do so cleanly or quickly except when placed into the brain. The blackfellas up north would just aim "at the cow" and fire as much ammo as they had, then follow it around until it finally keeled over from blood loss. I gave one 50rds of .22LR and he came back an hour later wanting more ammo as the damned killer was still running around. There's good reason the stations preferred them to simply ask for a killer and they'd drop one for them rather than come out to find a dozen animals all getting around with bullets in them.

Don't know it Probably did not present properly for a head shot. Last I heard he has 27 fellow deer to this load and he uses a single shot rifle mostly just dow eaters so 22 is plenty for close ranges like he uses it for as you only need 8" to 12" of penetration on such a small animal.
IF you can hunt

Whats a fellow ? A jolly good chap ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: .22LR Uppercut from CCI

Post by deye243 » 21 Feb 2024, 11:28 pm

bigpete wrote:
deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:Don't discount the VELOSATORS this is one out of a fellow deer at 70y .
Not shot my me .
Screenshot_20240221_133522_Gallery_copy_768x1647.jpg

The Velocitor is good ammunition, especially if it groups well in your rifle.

Why wasn't it head shot? A .22LR bullet can definitely kill, even at hundreds of meters, but I wouldn't be relying on it to do so cleanly or quickly except when placed into the brain. The blackfellas up north would just aim "at the cow" and fire as much ammo as they had, then follow it around until it finally keeled over from blood loss. I gave one 50rds of .22LR and he came back an hour later wanting more ammo as the damned killer was still running around. There's good reason the stations preferred them to simply ask for a killer and they'd drop one for them rather than come out to find a dozen animals all getting around with bullets in them.

Don't know it Probably did not present properly for a head shot. Last I heard he has 27 fellow deer to this load and he uses a single shot rifle mostly just dow eaters so 22 is plenty for close ranges like he uses it for as you only need 8" to 12" of penetration on such a small animal.
IF you can hunt

Whats a fellow ? A jolly good chap ?

Don't know not my problem my telephone cannot spell
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics