250 savage

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 250 savage

Post by deye243 » 24 Apr 2024, 9:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:If the donut is pushed back out towards the outer case as the expander ball is drawn up when sizing , do we then have ok internal dimensions and no unnecessary potential pressure spike ftom too much bullet grip , or does chambering the round push that donut tight against the bullet ?

All of the above...... but if you use bushing dies the donut stays inside and then you don't get resistance on the bolt and with this die is the easy way to check for a donut just slide a bullet in a fired case and if you have them it will stop when it touches it at the bottom of the neck .
Now if you don't need to seat that deep there is no problem but if you do all of the above that blr243 has asked can happen.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 25 Apr 2024, 6:08 am

hornady make a handy neck turning tool . i might have to look into this . while the 250 will make a great target round for my intended comp , i'm reassessing whether 257bob isn't a better option with hunting in mind . this choice will also influence my choice of action as well . oh decisions , decisions! :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2024, 9:12 am

When I was younger hunting a lot and reloading a lot I startedneck turning to keep an eye on brass migration with my 243 shells . It was predominantly to prevent thick necks gripping the bullet too much. I was surprised to see how out of round brass was During the neck turning operation I could clearly see brass being removed from some parts of the neck but not others I guess because brass cases are made by drawing , not by uniform turning.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Billo » 25 Apr 2024, 3:34 pm

bigrich wrote:hornady make a handy neck turning tool . i might have to look into this . while the 250 will make a great target round for my intended comp , i'm reassessing whether 257bob isn't a better option with hunting in mind . this choice will also influence my choice of action as well . oh decisions , decisions! :D

Short action for the Savage :thumbsup:

257bob a cartridge I just dont get, whats the point when we have the Swede :lol:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 25 Apr 2024, 6:53 pm

Haha thread derail ....... if I was going to build another 6.5 it would be a 6.5 06imp but just for hunting as it has a short barrel life .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Apr 2024, 4:11 am

Yeah, if I was doing a build purely for hunting, I’d probably be looking at 260 rem. 120’s-130’s would give good speed/trajectory. But the premise of this post is building a pre 1939 cartridge with good barrel life and cheap to run. I’d like to build a group one big game rifle in 35 whelen. But the cost and availability of projectiles is getting rediculous . 22-250’s second hand at my local shop are cheap. The best choice I’ve got is between an early cmc howa with a timney trigger already in it or an early rem 700 . Another option is an early mark x deluxe in 243. But the lock time in this is noticeably slow. I like the old school Mauser action, but the cmc is good value for money. The mark x has enough mag length it could be reamed from 250 savage to 257 bob if I want to up things a bit later on . Any opinions ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Apr 2024, 4:22 pm

righto , after speaking with my smith today and doing a bit of wheeling and dealing with my local gun shop , i've taken the plunge . i have a early "A" code rem 700 in 22-250 going to be coming home with me soon . the rem barrel profile is a match to the 1-10 twist lothar walther barrel i've got coming , and it balances better than the howa and mark x i was looking at this afternoon .

my smith also tells me he can use a 22-250 AI reamer to create a 250AI . hmm , tempting . stoked up the standard 250 case needs frequent trimming , but the ackley is much better and gives 257 bob performance in a efficient short action case . opinions fellas :unknown: for my dual purpose comp/hunting use the standard 250 will do i guess . PM me about those 250 dies please dye243

i've had a few ideas recently that i've discussed on here , 260rem , 6mm250 . i'm finally doing another build . this one will be the last . honest ..... :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 26 Apr 2024, 6:13 pm

How would the 250imp fit in the comp rules
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2024, 8:42 pm

If you go 250 ai Does anyone make dies. Special order. Or do u have to get a set custom made by a smith ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Apr 2024, 9:55 pm

250 AI is an old school hot rod rcbs make dies and a few others. I’m celebrating my new project tonight. Ac/dc , John mayall and the angels. If my posts don’t make much sense it’s because I’ve had more than a few coopers pale ales. I’m probably sharing a bit too much, but I’m old school WTF :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Apr 2024, 9:58 pm

deye243 wrote:How would the 250imp fit in the comp rules

Should be right, but I’ll check. Ackley was around for a long time. Wok’n’woll . Sorry, that just crept in there. Got ac/dc TNT playing at 140 decibels :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 26 Apr 2024, 10:16 pm

s**t hot don't forget thunderstruck
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2024, 8:35 am

deye243 wrote:s**t hot don't forget thunderstruck

:lol: :lol: :lol: . the "back in black" album got played last night too, oh my poor Neighbours :lol:

decided besides whether the ackley version qualifies for my comp , feeding may get complicated . the standard 250 savage will do . if i want a purely hunting rig , i could always ream it to 25 souper ( 25-308) . a simple neck up from 243 . cheap brass and reliable feeding with a bit more herb than the 250 . i would imagine it'd equal the roberts without having to scratch around trying to find obscure brass to form up . you mentioned 250 savage dies mate . i have some 6.5 and 308 projectiles i'm looking to offload if your interested in trading . what condition are your dies in ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Apr 2024, 11:49 am

If you like John maysll , look up the duet with Walter trout SHE TAKES MORE THAN SHE GIVES. .. I think the soaring guitar parts might be Walter. It’s on the full circle album. Walter at his finest.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2024, 11:55 am

Blr243 wrote:If you like John maysll , look up the duet with Walter trout SHE TAKES MORE THAN SHE GIVES. .. I think the soaring guitar parts might be Walter. It’s on the full circle album. Walter at his finest.

yeah, i've listened to trout , not bad . according to my ex yank gunsmith (came out from denver colorado in 1980 i think), all the cool people own 250 savage's . wonder if trout's got one ..... :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 Apr 2024, 8:49 pm

Actually, my little superlite would be awesome in 250 savage.....but I'll keep it as a 308 for now
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Apr 2024, 5:30 pm

bigpete wrote:Actually, my little superlite would be awesome in 250 savage.....but I'll keep it as a 308 for now

i like a little weight in my rifles . i can hold them steadier for offhand shots . cause i shoot comps as well as getting out in the paddock i've paid more attention to how a rifle fits and balances, just like shotgunners do . it's paid off for me . i really like tikkas , but rem 700's point and fit better for me . i bought some lee 250 savage dies on ozgunmart this morning . if i coulda found "25 souper" dies i mighta gone down that track ;) . i just gotta get all the bits together before i can see my smith . oh , and get some money together :roll:

gunna take the 22-250 donor rifle on my next trip and make some empty cases for necking up . bit more fun than just buying a bag of new brass :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Apr 2024, 5:42 pm

I carry a gun more than shoot it,and haven't had any problem making shots offhand out to 150m so far with the superlite. But then I also much rather stalk into 50m and I don't need super fine accuracy at that range ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Apr 2024, 7:20 pm

bigpete wrote:I carry a gun more than shoot it,and haven't had any problem making shots offhand out to 150m so far with the superlite. But then I also much rather stalk into 50m and I don't need super fine accuracy at that range ;)

Horses for coarses, I’m a fairly large fella and lightweight rifles feel like a kids toy to me :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm

If you've ever seen a pic of me,I'm not exactly small lol. Just would prefer to save unnecessary weight were I can
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 29 Apr 2024, 7:53 pm

If you've ever seen a pic of me,I'm not exactly small lol. Just would prefer to save unnecessary weight were I can
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 29 Apr 2024, 8:58 pm

The older I get the Less I want to carry … I recently bought the first 223 I have had since I handed mine in to gov 96. What prompted my choice was my bicycle got a flat tyre on 17000 acres about midnight when I was already tired I had to carry a long barrelled heavy barrelled 243 howa for a long way back to camp .. so now the 223 is on a mini action sporter barrel and barrel is only 16 in 223 ammo is also lighter and cheap as chips
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Apr 2024, 9:01 pm

And another reason for the 223 is this new place I’m visiting has limited pigs . So I’m focusing on cats foxes Roos and dingoes
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2024, 4:11 am

Blr243 wrote:The older I get the Less I want to carry … I recently bought the first 223 I have had since I handed mine in to gov 96. What prompted my choice was my bicycle got a flat tyre on 17000 acres about midnight when I was already tired I had to carry a long barrelled heavy barrelled 243 howa for a long way back to camp .. so now the 223 is on a mini action sporter barrel and barrel is only 16 in 223 ammo is also lighter and cheap as chips

howa/weatherby actions are heavy , no doubt about that . having a heavy barreled one is next level ;) they typically shoot very well , especially for their price point . as for rifle weight that's what slings are for :) if i was in the army i definitely woulda been the guy carrying the bren or the m60 :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2024, 4:27 am

bigpete wrote:If you've ever seen a pic of me,I'm not exactly small lol. Just would prefer to save unnecessary weight were I can

yeah i have seen a pic of you on this forum pete , i understand your forum handle :D . myself , i'm 6'5" with boots on , 135kg at the moment . been a metal worker most of my life . a 5.5lb rifle feels like a toy to me . i find a 8-8.5lb rifle with good balance is something i can bring to my shoulder and hold very steady for snap shooting .bloody pigs jump out when you least expect it sometimes :lol: the factory rifles that fit me best have been sako 85 in a long action and rem700's , in timber stocks . mind you, my musgrave 98 with it's 25" barrel is pretty damn good . i've been going with longer barrels lately . good balance and free velocity over short barrels . which is what my savage 250 build is going to be . 24" rem 700 . looked at parker hales , but the 98 action doesn't function as well with shorter 308 sized cases.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2024, 8:21 am

Well you certainly beat me in height lol.
Personally I think 8lb and over is a good weight for big magnums but anything smaller 7lb or under suits me best. And the little howa superlite is magic for stalking around with
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2024, 9:02 am

bigpete wrote:Well you certainly beat me in height lol.
Personally I think 8lb and over is a good weight for big magnums but anything smaller 7lb or under suits me best. And the little howa superlite is magic for stalking around with

We’re all individuals, it’s whatever works with people’s physiology and needs I guess. I’m liking the idea of 250 savage for my uses, but the more I look into 25 souper the more I like it . Only dies I can find online are CH4D in the states. Might have to get along to some gun shows and see if I can find a second hand set . My smith has a reamer
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 May 2024, 5:35 am

Got my 250 die set and reformed a 22-250 case with the base of a 87 Speer level with the “old” neck .
Left to right, 222, 250 savage, 308. They look like a good team.

wonder if i'll get any comments on my "trump" tekmat on my reloading bench ;) i bought that a few years ago as a laugh cause of it's pure overblown americana :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0911.jpeg
IMG_0911.jpeg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 295 times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 May 2024, 3:10 pm

So 250 savage isn't the same length as 22-250?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2024, 3:34 pm

I just realised the 250 sav is actually the parent case of the 22250 Remington
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

PreviousNext