270win for sambar

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

270win for sambar

Post by tommyguns82 » 23 Jul 2014, 8:02 pm

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out of a pickle.

A year or so ago I got a Remington 715 270win from a mate who needed cash in a hurry (yes it is legally own) anyways I only got it to help him out and I was thinking about getting something bigger then my browning t-bolt .17HMR

I know I maybe should have gotten something along the lines of a 223 or something but I have no regrets haha.

Anyway, lately I've been thinking of doing some deer hunting and from talking to people I've been told its pushing the to small side of things for sambar but when I look up 270 vs 308 vs 30 06 I have read that its all the same at the 300 yard mark.

So now I'm thinking of keeping it or trading it in for a Tikka T3 hunter or something.

What would all you deer hunters do in my shoes?

Cheers,
Tom
tommyguns82
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 270win for sambar

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

It should do the trick if you hit them in the chest cavity. Placement is more important then the caliber. Avoid running shots too. I would buy or load some quality 150gn projectiles and use it . Then if you decide your still keen in a year or two consider aanother cal. 3006 is very popular as it handles 180 to 220 gn projectiles better, but here are plenty of others that just as good or perhaps a little better. Im assuming sambar will be the target? What do the experts here think?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 24 Jul 2014, 8:31 am

Most the time caliber and make are personal likes or dislikes you will be fine I agree with oldbloke
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tommyguns82 » 24 Jul 2014, 10:47 am

Ok thanks guy well looks like I'm sticking to the Remington a little while longer. I'm not a huge fan of the rifle but I guess it will be good as a bush gun. I was gonna go for chest shots as it is a bigger area for a kill shot. Thanks for the info guys
tommyguns82
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 24 Jul 2014, 1:22 pm

Tommy,

With the right bullet the .270 is definitely as suitable Sambar calibre. Stick a 140gr+ hunting bullet it in with a bit of velocity and you'll have no problems.

If you don't like the rifle that's reason enough to sell it IMO and get something that feels better. Feel good, shoot good, you know?

Tikka T3 is a good rifle obviously. If you do end up changing getting the new rifle in .270 again would be fine.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by meek » 24 Jul 2014, 1:27 pm

VICHunter wrote:With the right bullet the .270 is definitely a suitable Sambar calibre

Good post on hunting loads here, Tom, which talks about a few good hunting bullet choices.

That post was talking about .308, but they do they do all the bullets mentioned in .270 and .30 cal so whatever you end up with it'll be good.

Hornady, Speers, Nosler, Sierra... Lots of choices.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2014, 1:32 pm

VICHunter wrote:Stick a 140gr+ hunting bullet it in with a bit of velocity and you'll have no problems.

Tom,

I'm using 140gr Nosler Ballistic tips in my 7mm as my all-purpose hunting load, including Sambar, and they work fine.

They do the same bullet for the .270 which will perform more or less the same ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by whert » 26 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

FYI Tommy min legal calibre for Sambar here in Victoria is .270 with a 130gr bullet.

So even the Gov say it's ok ;)
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 27 Jul 2014, 8:24 am

The 130 graiin is real popular with white tail. And mule deer hunters here in the states.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 27 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm

DONT LISTEN TO ALL THESE YAY SAYERS ,,you will def need a 3006 min so you might as well sell me the 270 cheap and use an ethical calibre 8-) those sambar are bullet proof and even a 308 will only give them a little bruise, :o

just joking a 270 will be fine,,,,,just, :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by tripletwo » 27 Jul 2014, 3:46 pm

White tails are just little fellas aren't they?
tripletwo
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Rocker » 27 Jul 2014, 3:47 pm

About the size of a Chital here in Aus if I remember right.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by paps » 27 Jul 2014, 3:48 pm

tom604 wrote:DONT LISTEN TO ALL THESE YAY SAYERS ,,you will def need a 3006 min so you might as well sell me the 270 cheap

Wait a minute...
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 28 Jul 2014, 5:59 am

The white tail deer can run up to 300 in the north for a real good mature deer but the avg across the country is about 175 to 200 lbs
With the avg doe going about 130 to 150lbs.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tripletwo » 28 Jul 2014, 10:07 pm

Thanks wrenchman,

.270 still plenty for them but they are a bit bigger than I realised.
tripletwo
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Xerox » 28 Jul 2014, 10:08 pm

Overkill really. .243 would be more than enough.

200lbs is only 90kg. Sambar are 200-300kg no problem and plenty are taken with calibres like the .270

A little white tail would be no match.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 29 Jul 2014, 6:26 am

Yea 243 does kill its share of deer
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 30 Jul 2014, 10:13 am

wrenchman wrote:Yea 243 does kill its share of deer

Do you guys have minimum legal calibres for deer in the states?

.243 is popular here too, but not legal for our 3 larger species of deer. Only the small 3.

A good cartridge though for sure. More people would be using it for hunting if our laws were different here I suspect.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wrenchman » 31 Jul 2014, 7:35 am

Most states do have some type of standard Mich does not allow rim fire rounds or 22 center fires and most hunters won't use less then the 243 or 257.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 31 Jul 2014, 3:03 pm

wrenchman wrote:most hunters won't use less then the 243 or 257.

Yeah, I'm sure most guys are using common sense with their calibres, just curious if there were any actual laws there as you're a lot less restricted compared to Australia.

A agree .243 is fine for the smaller species.

Cheers.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wrenchman » 01 Aug 2014, 7:55 am

It is hard to say yes or no because each state is different but most do hunting laws can get real hard to understand

I hunt Kentucky a lot as well as Michigan and In Kentucky I cant hunt with buck shot and I have to have the gun plunged for 3 round

But if I use a rifle I can have 5 round.

If you come here to hunt it is a good idea to read the regs because some thing you think is legal might not be.

But most center fire 30 calibers are legal for every thing in big game.

Gun laws and hunting laws can and are really different here.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusC » 01 Aug 2014, 9:14 am

Same issues here with the laws of course, too complicated and often contradictory.

We have a lot of overlapping laws and government bodies here all telling us what we can and can't do (without speaking to each other it seems).

For example, one of ours provides maps with highlighted zones showing where you can hunt. I have maps which clearly specify you can hunt deer in an area, however just entering the same area is forbidden in other legislation.

If a new hunter was researching areas and came across the maps first they'd have no reason not to act on that information and head out. If they got found though it would be the end of their license etc. I expect.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by whert » 01 Aug 2014, 9:14 am

Water catchment areas right, Ausc?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 01 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

That's them.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 01 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm

One of the things that you guys might not know is some states you can own a semi auto rifle but you can't hunt deer with it or if you are hunting with a hand gun you can't have a long gun.

We also have the same thing if you look at a map for hunting regulationss you will see a are around Detroit were you would think you could deer hunt you can't and it could land you in prison because it belongs to the airport. It's too bad, the largest deer I ever saw was there and all I could do is look at it.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 01 Aug 2014, 3:39 pm

wrenchman wrote:It's too bad, the largest deer I ever saw was there and all I could do is look at it.

That's so frustrating :lol:

I had the same thing not too long ago with a big Red Deer here. He was just slowly strolling around in the open about 200m or so away, but was on somebodies private property so couldn't get him.

Couldn't possible have missed, just had to watch him wander off into the distance though :cry:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tony m » 09 Nov 2015, 11:32 am

I had to look up sambar first.Sounds like a very large stag might go 500 lbs or about the size of a cow elk here or a caribou bull.The
.270 win is used for elk and moose ,very effectively and these bulls are larger than this.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Sam45 » 09 Nov 2015, 7:29 pm

Lorgar wrote:
wrenchman wrote:It's too bad, the largest deer I ever saw was there and all I could do is look at it.

That's so frustrating :lol:

I had the same thing not too long ago with a big Red Deer here. He was just slowly strolling around in the open about 200m or so away, but was on somebodies private property so couldn't get him.

Couldn't possible have missed, just had to watch him wander off into the distance though :cry:

Fark I hate that. I have seen some good Fallow Stags on an adjoining property, guess what no permission to access. Sucks, but thems the rules :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmjer » 12 Nov 2015, 10:03 am

tony m wrote:I had to look up sambar first.Sounds like a very large stag might go 500 lbs or about the size of a cow elk here or a caribou bull.

Even bigger mate.

They're usually around 500 lbs - 550 lbs like you said but a real big buck can 1,000+ lbs
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tony m » 19 Nov 2015, 1:41 am

1000 lbs is a big animal..the very largest bull elk might go that size.The .270 win is very good on elk and I use the very best bullets out there..Barnes, Nosler etc.I would like to try the Woodleigh someday.A bullet that doesn't fracture and able to get through bone.I have used a 25/06 with great success too.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics