Short magnums

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Short magnums

Post by south » 13 Aug 2014, 4:04 pm

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me about short magnums?

I just notice with what's on shelves in stores 300 win mag is common enough, 300 win short magnum isn't anywhere to be found.

Are they worth having or is getting supplies too much of a pain? What's the advantage?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Short magnums

Post by 1290 » 13 Aug 2014, 7:18 pm

The new generation of short magnums are bulls*&t!

They're a solution to a problem that never existed.

Go the original family of short mag; 264/300/338/458 win mag.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shotfox » 14 Aug 2014, 2:10 pm

1290 wrote:The new generation of short magnums are bulls*&t!

They're a solution to a problem that never existed.

Go the original family of short mag; 264/300/338/458 win mag.

Agree. ADI are currently testing factory 300 WSM ammo to add to the range of Outback ammo. It has a black case and will come in clips of five rounds in a box of 20. Dont know where they are up to but I beleive it is soon to be released.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Klem » 14 Aug 2014, 3:21 pm

There's some argument that the wider, shorter arrangement of powder gives better accuracy.

A shorter action (can cycle the bolt faster) is the main advantage with them.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by handofcod » 15 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm

I've just bought a 300wsm but haven't picked it up yet. Advantages that I've read about are:

Shorter action and shorter barrel achieves close to 300wm speeds but in a lighter package
Theoretically more accurate because greater surface area exposed to primer
Uses 10% or so less powder which theoretically produces less recoil and saves money for reloading
No belt on case

For me it was just because it's more interesting to me as a reloader. I honestly don't know if any of these are measurable advantages.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 16 Aug 2014, 8:54 am

It's called marketing. Build it and they will come...

From an efficiency perspective, yes, the shorter powder column will probably burn more efficiently and therefore need less powder, but a magnum primer will engulf most of the column regardless of whether its a long or short mag.

This idea of saving weight from a shorter action, come on, a quarter inch of action?? is going to make or break your trek from the car boot to the bench?? and the 'shorter' bolt throw by the same length will spell the difference between a successful hunt? saving 0.1 of a second?

There are disadvantages; stubby case feeding from the mag.....sharp shoulder angle feeding well much, if I'm out on the hunt I dont want to cross my fingers each time I pop a round from the mag up into the chamber threshold.

Give me a 300winmag, maybe even the old lady 300H&H.

I do magnum oldstyle :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by The Brass » 18 Aug 2014, 10:55 am

handofcod wrote:Uses 10% or so less powder which theoretically produces less recoil and saves money for reloading
No belt on case

That's a stretch to say that's a benefit of the SM cartridges specifically. There's no magic recoil reduction.

Less powder in anything means less recoil in anything obviously. Reduce the load in your regular win mag etc.

Not knocking your WSM, just saying :D
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 18 Aug 2014, 11:01 am

1290 wrote:and the 'shorter' bolt throw by the same length will spell the difference between a successful hunt? saving 0.1 of a second?

I've always had to turn my nose up a bit at the idea of a short action being needed for a dangerous game rifle.

Like you say, 0.1 of a second saved or however much it is.

If your hunts are turning into life or death situations and coming down to the length of your bolt action to save you you're doing something massively wrong :lol:

Must be for the idiots that walk 5 metres away from angry buff before pulling the trigger.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by BBJ » 18 Aug 2014, 9:00 pm

You mean bullets go further than 5 metres? Since when?!
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by headwerkn » 19 Aug 2014, 12:20 am

Before buying my 300WM I test drove my old boss's 300WSM (Steyr Pro Hunter - trés noice) for an evening to get a feel for the recoil, inadvertently shooting through a $70 box of XP3 ammo in the process.... kinda wish he'd told me how expensive the rounds beforehand :-/

I wasn't able to sense any difference in either recoil or accuracy. Both go "boom" in a fairly significant manner, as accurate as you are out to whatever distance you dare.... chew through a box in an hour and your shoulder will be as bruised as your wallet. All good fun.

In terms of 300WM vs 300WSM the only real genuine point of differentiation I'm aware of is the former's short neck being a limitation when handloading certain projectiles.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Westy » 19 Aug 2014, 6:50 am

Khan wrote:
1290 wrote:and the 'shorter' bolt throw by the same length will spell the difference between a successful hunt? saving 0.1 of a second?

I've always had to turn my nose up a bit at the idea of a short action being needed for a dangerous game rifle.

Like you say, 0.1 of a second saved or however much it is.

If your hunts are turning into life or death situations and coming down to the length of your bolt action to save you you're doing something massively wrong :lol:

Must be for the idiots that walk 5 metres away from angry buff before pulling the trigger.

I'm with KHAN on this one if I can't kill it with 1 shot then I need a bigger Rifle or I'm not trying hard enough, short action long action it's still a bolt action!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by meateater » 19 Aug 2014, 9:59 am

headwerkn wrote:inadvertently shooting through a $70 box of XP3 ammo in the process.... kinda wish he'd told me how expensive the rounds beforehand :-/

:shock: Sounds like he just palmed off an expensive box of ammo onto you. Probably went and bout a $40 after and went to the pub with the change :lol:
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 19 Aug 2014, 10:05 am

Westy wrote:I'm with KHAN on this one if I can't kill it with 1 shot then I need a bigger Rifle or I'm not trying hard enough

Or doing something stupid... I couldn't believe some of the videos I've seen on YouTube of dangerous game hunts.

Guy shooting charging buffalo at 5 metres like I said, or there is one where a bloke waits so long for this charging lion that when it hits the deck after the shot it slides past him and knocks him over in the process. Pull trigger 1/4 second later or miss and he'd be cat food.

Talk about asking for trouble...
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by cooker » 19 Aug 2014, 10:06 am

I wouldn't want to hunt a lion, but if I did I'd be doing it at like 200m!

From the top of a tall ass truck too if I can! :lol:
cooker
Private
Private

New Zealand

Post by headwerkn » 19 Aug 2014, 7:01 pm

meateater wrote::shock: Sounds like he just palmed off an expensive box of ammo onto you. Probably went and bout a $40 after and went to the pub with the change :lol:

Nah, that was his deer rifle and probably shot 3-5 rounds a season at most (he had access to cull tags) - he'd probably had the box for a couple of years. I replaced the box with the most premium rounds I could find locally, even though he said I didn't have to..... he was a lousy boss to work for but very good to me when it came to borrowing trailers, work utes etc. for personal use.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by meateater » 20 Aug 2014, 8:20 am

Fair enough then :)

I know what you mean about the rest of him, some good blokes are just s**t bosses.
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 07 Sep 2014, 12:32 pm

I wouldn't eschew the short magnums so readily. I don't have one myself (338WM is the only magnum I have) but in the case of the 300WSM for example, I can see some merit.

To me a short action does balance nicely in the hands and that can help when shooting at game offhand or from an improvised rest. These cartridges can also be easily chambered in other sorts of actions like the BLR. I wouldn't say no to a BLR in 300 or 325WSM. The longer action BLRs chambered in 30-06 etc just look and feel wrong to me.

They have also done away with the useless belt. That's a step up in thinking to me.

There's a couple of short magnums I'd really like to do in a nice custom bolt rifle; the 338RCM and the 7mmWSM.

Yeah, I can see some merit to the short magnums! Not all of them, but a few.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kater » 08 Sep 2014, 8:35 am

BBJ wrote:You mean bullets go further than 5 metres? Since when?!

Since Tuesday the 12th of August.

Didn't you get the memo? I'll forward it to you.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 08 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

bobnob wrote:I wouldn't eschew the short magnums so readily. I don't have one myself (338WM is the only magnum I have) but in the case of the 300WSM for example, I can see some merit.

To me a short action does balance nicely in the hands and that can help when shooting at game offhand or from an improvised rest. These cartridges can also be easily chambered in other sorts of actions like the BLR. I wouldn't say no to a BLR in 300 or 325WSM. The longer action BLRs chambered in 30-06 etc just look and feel wrong to me.

They have also done away with the useless belt. That's a step up in thinking to me.

There's a couple of short magnums I'd really like to do in a nice custom bolt rifle; the 338RCM and the 7mmWSM.

Yeah, I can see some merit to the short magnums! Not all of them, but a few.

Bobnob, sounds like the marketing has won you over..... there are some rifles and rifle types that balance better, this is probably mostly a personal think, the way you hold, where your hands sit, the size of your hands, the grip/hand spacing, the stock and grip material and finish even...... But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience??? Naaaaah. Not to me, anyway. Give me a slick feeding 'old' magnum.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by greyghost » 08 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

1290 wrote:But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience?

Poofteenth :lol:

Is that metric or imperial :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 08 Sep 2014, 4:19 pm

greyghost wrote:
1290 wrote:But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience?

Poofteenth :lol:

Is that metric or imperial :D

Obviously Imperial :roll: :D its a fraction...

Its a bit more than a bees-dick (can i say bee??)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Monty » 09 Sep 2014, 9:33 am

1290 wrote:can i say bee?

Um, yeah? :lol:

"Bee" isn't a four letter word last time I checked ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 09 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

Monty wrote:
1290 wrote:can i say bee?

Um, yeah? :lol:

"Bee" isn't a four letter word last time I checked ;)

Luckily you didnt read past bee then... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 09 Sep 2014, 11:24 am

Speaking of risky big game shots check out the video death at my feet on YouTube

The guy looks like magnum pi and approaches the game until they charge and he shoots them as close as possible so they quite literally drop at his feet
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 09 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Korkt » 11 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:The guy looks like magnum pi and approaches the game until they charge and he shoots them as close as possible so they quite literally drop at his feet

I got no time for that cowboy stuff.

Just wait for the last video where the shot glances off a bone instead of penetrating.

The guy will be in for an interested trip then.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 11 Sep 2014, 4:39 pm

yoshie wrote:The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.

Are you referring to the 'original' short mags, being the win mag family or the newer wsm/wssm and similar...

Yes the win mags (and several Rem, wby, Norma Mags) were sized to the standard action length, suiting the 30-06 Spr. cartridge length of 84.84mm or near.

Re the youtube vids, what are crackup, the hippo is 5m away and the PH is still repeating "Not yet, not yet".... by that stage I would have well and truely let off both barrels and been feeling for the third trigger... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 11 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

1290 wrote:
yoshie wrote:The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.

Are you referring to the 'original' short mags, being the win mag family or the newer wsm/wssm and similar...

The new wsm
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Tiiger » 12 Sep 2014, 10:49 am

yoshie wrote:They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment.

Good idea though.

Just too hard to overtake the established chambering's I guess.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bobnob » 25 Sep 2014, 1:49 am

1290 wrote:Bobnob, sounds like the marketing has won you over..... there are some rifles and rifle types that balance better, this is probably mostly a personal think, the way you hold, where your hands sit, the size of your hands, the grip/hand spacing, the stock and grip material and finish even...... But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience??? Naaaaah. Not to me, anyway. Give me a slick feeding 'old' magnum.

No not marketing. Practicality and an assessment of merit is what is in my mind.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics