Short magnums

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Short magnums

Post by 1290 » 08 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

bobnob wrote:I wouldn't eschew the short magnums so readily. I don't have one myself (338WM is the only magnum I have) but in the case of the 300WSM for example, I can see some merit.

To me a short action does balance nicely in the hands and that can help when shooting at game offhand or from an improvised rest. These cartridges can also be easily chambered in other sorts of actions like the BLR. I wouldn't say no to a BLR in 300 or 325WSM. The longer action BLRs chambered in 30-06 etc just look and feel wrong to me.

They have also done away with the useless belt. That's a step up in thinking to me.

There's a couple of short magnums I'd really like to do in a nice custom bolt rifle; the 338RCM and the 7mmWSM.

Yeah, I can see some merit to the short magnums! Not all of them, but a few.

Bobnob, sounds like the marketing has won you over..... there are some rifles and rifle types that balance better, this is probably mostly a personal think, the way you hold, where your hands sit, the size of your hands, the grip/hand spacing, the stock and grip material and finish even...... But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience??? Naaaaah. Not to me, anyway. Give me a slick feeding 'old' magnum.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by greyghost » 08 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

1290 wrote:But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience?

Poofteenth :lol:

Is that metric or imperial :D
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 08 Sep 2014, 4:19 pm

greyghost wrote:
1290 wrote:But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience?

Poofteenth :lol:

Is that metric or imperial :D

Obviously Imperial :roll: :D its a fraction...

Its a bit more than a bees-dick (can i say bee??)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Monty » 09 Sep 2014, 9:33 am

1290 wrote:can i say bee?

Um, yeah? :lol:

"Bee" isn't a four letter word last time I checked ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 09 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

Monty wrote:
1290 wrote:can i say bee?

Um, yeah? :lol:

"Bee" isn't a four letter word last time I checked ;)

Luckily you didnt read past bee then... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 09 Sep 2014, 11:24 am

Speaking of risky big game shots check out the video death at my feet on YouTube

The guy looks like magnum pi and approaches the game until they charge and he shoots them as close as possible so they quite literally drop at his feet
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 09 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Korkt » 11 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:The guy looks like magnum pi and approaches the game until they charge and he shoots them as close as possible so they quite literally drop at his feet

I got no time for that cowboy stuff.

Just wait for the last video where the shot glances off a bone instead of penetrating.

The guy will be in for an interested trip then.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 11 Sep 2014, 4:39 pm

yoshie wrote:The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.

Are you referring to the 'original' short mags, being the win mag family or the newer wsm/wssm and similar...

Yes the win mags (and several Rem, wby, Norma Mags) were sized to the standard action length, suiting the 30-06 Spr. cartridge length of 84.84mm or near.

Re the youtube vids, what are crackup, the hippo is 5m away and the PH is still repeating "Not yet, not yet".... by that stage I would have well and truely let off both barrels and been feeling for the third trigger... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 11 Sep 2014, 9:58 pm

1290 wrote:
yoshie wrote:The real reason short Magnums were developed is so rifle manufacturers can standardise action lengths. They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment. I'm not nocking the WSM, people I know who have them love them. But they weren't good enough to replace the current long cartridges like 270, 30-06 and 7mm RM.

Are you referring to the 'original' short mags, being the win mag family or the newer wsm/wssm and similar...

The new wsm
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tiiger » 12 Sep 2014, 10:49 am

yoshie wrote:They want to make one standard action for all centrefire cartridges, like what Tikka do now but theirs is a long action. It was a failed experiment.

Good idea though.

Just too hard to overtake the established chambering's I guess.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bobnob » 25 Sep 2014, 1:49 am

1290 wrote:Bobnob, sounds like the marketing has won you over..... there are some rifles and rifle types that balance better, this is probably mostly a personal think, the way you hold, where your hands sit, the size of your hands, the grip/hand spacing, the stock and grip material and finish even...... But an extra poofteenth of action length making or breaking the experience??? Naaaaah. Not to me, anyway. Give me a slick feeding 'old' magnum.

No not marketing. Practicality and an assessment of merit is what is in my mind.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Sep 2014, 5:12 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Speaking of risky big game shots check out the video death at my feet on YouTube

The guy looks like magnum pi and approaches the game until they charge and he shoots them as close as possible so they quite literally drop at his feet

Yeahhhh I just watched that, the guy is a complete f***ing WANKER. c**khead missed alot of clean kills cos he got so close, blew the top jaw off one buff. People like that need to join the military and see some action if they want that kind of thrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1MjfP91z8U
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by huccl » 25 Sep 2014, 9:59 am

Tiiger wrote:Just too hard to overtake the established chambering's I guess.

I wonder what it costs a maker to launch a new cartridge. Must be tonnes.

With some many options already you'd want to be damn sure your new one was going to take off for what it must cost them.

I wonder how many rifles and boxes off ammo you need to get out there without making a sale to get it off the ground.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MrClark » 25 Sep 2014, 7:02 pm

Whats the Magazine capacity on most of these Short magnum rifles?? 0.1 second saving in shorter bolt throw dosnt mean anything if theres no case to strip from the mag HAHAHAHAHA
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 25 Sep 2014, 7:12 pm

MrClark wrote:Whats the Magazine capacity on most of these Short magnum rifles?? 0.1 second saving in shorter bolt throw dosnt mean anything if theres no case to strip from the mag HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah no real saving in time when cycling, ammo costs more, no shop has any, one less round available in your magazine, all to save the gun maker a few dollars.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MrClark » 25 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

Whats the Magazine capacity on most of these Short magnum rifles?? 0.1 second saving in shorter bolt throw dosnt mean anything if theres no case to strip from the mag HAHAHAHAHA
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by south » 26 Sep 2014, 11:15 am

Hmm, lower mag capacity is a put off for them.

I hadn't thought of that.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bobnob » 26 Sep 2014, 5:21 pm

The 7mm WSM despite its relative lack of popularity would go close to being the perfect big game cartridge for me. Great ballistic profile bullets at way over 3000fps, in a shorter, stiffer and lighter action than the 7mm RM or 280 Rem. Magazine capacity of 3, hardly an issue. I've done plenty of walking up mobs of pigs and shooting them in mobs from a car too. 3 in the mag and one up the spout is enough provided you can either top off via the open breech or whack in a fresh mag. Name a long magnum that has a bigger mag capacity than three anyway.

A shorter action is a stiffer action and that's never a bad thing. It also means a little less weight and that's never a bad thing. It MIGHT perhaps bring the cost down a poofteenth as someone above suggested. If that was the case, that's never a bad thing either.

I think SOME of the short magnums are a better mousetrap. Some of course are like 90% of cartridges, duplications of an already crowded niche.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 27 Sep 2014, 8:15 am

bobnob wrote:Magazine capacity of 3, hardly an issue.

Plenty for hunting.

If anyone can tell me where there are packs of game that will stand around in groups of 10 while I empty my magazine and get them all though, I'm keen to hear it :D
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MrClark » 28 Sep 2014, 4:19 pm

Im not saying anyone needs more than 3, just saying. and the mag capacity of the WSM's and Belted mags are usually the same anyway. the whole Short Fat thing has both good and bad points depending on how you look at it
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MrClark » 28 Sep 2014, 4:22 pm

oh and sako's have a mag capacity of 4
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 29 Sep 2014, 11:14 am

3, 4. Either is plenty.

If you need 3 follow up shots you're doing something wrong :lol:
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Sep 2014, 4:47 pm

AusC wrote:3, 4. Either is plenty.

If you need 3 follow up shots you're doing something wrong :lol:

WHEN hunting Panthera Leo.....

A REAL man will be toting his favourite SINGLE shot rifle.....

A SANE man will be slinging his side x side double in his preferred Nitro chambering.... with a couple of extra rounds in his left hand ready to drop into the chambers.... along with his PH... laterally ahead of him.. :P
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AusC » 30 Sep 2014, 10:56 am

I'm more into hunting Sambarious Delicioso.

Don't have to worry about one killing me if I miss :lol:
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 30 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

Thats whats makes us lucky in Victoria... if we miss, we live to tell the story!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MrClark » 04 Oct 2014, 5:02 pm

Hahaha funny bunch of blokes, one shot one kill should always be the aim.

Really it's the same argument as .30-06 vs .308 which always ends up as same same but different.

So who gives a $&@!
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by fuggle » 05 Oct 2014, 2:36 pm

MrClark wrote:Really it's the same argument as .30-06 vs .308 which always ends up as same same but different.

Yeah it's a silly argument.

but .308 is better

he he eh :D
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics