Two "no go bang"!!!

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Two "no go bang"!!!

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 6:18 pm

Hi Apollo,
I'm open to ALL suggestions and hints.

Looking back at what I did last night, compared to my first and second shoot, although the score was lower, I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

As for hunting, I wont be going hunting until I can almost guarantee (as much as I can anyway) that I will only need one shot to kill whatever I'm shooting at. Of course, life doesn't always work like that, but if I can't be positive of getting the good shot in, I'll wait for another opportunity.
I went shooting with my dad when he was shooting roos, and we found 6 roos that had been shot and not killed. Dad put them out of their misery.

So, feel free to give advice, tips, etc etc

I've included a pic, sorry about the crappy quality, of my setup last night before I started shooting.

Jenna
Attachments
Anschutz club gun .22lr.jpg
Anschutz club gun .22lr.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by veep » 11 Sep 2014, 10:00 pm

Which range is that?

What's with the funny little windows? :lol:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 11 Sep 2014, 10:08 pm

It's Leongatha Small Bore Rifle Club, and the little hole is where you shoot through.
Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by veep » 12 Sep 2014, 10:47 am

One of those kinds of shooting range hey.

Don't trust you to have an open firing line :(
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Sep 2014, 11:50 pm

jennageit wrote:Hi Apollo,
I'm open to ALL suggestions and hints.

Looking back at what I did last night, compared to my first and second shoot, although the score was lower, I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

As for hunting, I wont be going hunting until I can almost guarantee (as much as I can anyway) that I will only need one shot to kill whatever I'm shooting at. Of course, life doesn't always work like that, but if I can't be positive of getting the good shot in, I'll wait for another opportunity.

Jenna

Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

At this stage you need trigger time, when you have fired a couple of hundred rounds you will find it a lot easier, you are going ok don't be worried.

Check out this shooting test for kangaroo harvesters,if you can shoot a 5 round group of less than 50mm they will give you a Top Gun card.
http://www.firearmtraining.com.au/html/ ... khtest.htm
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by schink » 15 Sep 2014, 2:44 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:At this stage you need trigger time, when you have fired a couple of hundred rounds you will find it a lot easier, you are going ok don't be worried.

There does seem to be a point after shooting a good amount of rounds that something clicks and you get a lot better I think.
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 17 Sep 2014, 11:38 pm

Shooting tonight went well.
1st card was 189/200,
2nd card was 191/200.

I even managed to get 2 bullseyes on one of the cards!

Only problem now is that I have to wait until next Wednesday to go shooting again lol
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 18 Sep 2014, 12:22 am

Keep it up...!!!!

Practise makes perfect, the more you practise the more you will enjoy it.

When you enter your first competition shoot and do well, you will be so proud. I was...!!

It will pay off, it makes you also a better hunter / varminter. Just swap the bullseye for a real eye.

More power to you.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Fry » 18 Sep 2014, 2:58 pm

jennageit wrote:2nd card was 191/200.

And now the chase for those last 9 points :D
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 18 Sep 2014, 6:49 pm

That's the plan mate. I'd still like to know where I'm going wrong, but time will tell.

Jenna

Can't wait until next Wedesday night!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 18 Sep 2014, 8:07 pm

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of precision rimfire target shooters measure and batch all their ammo by "Rim Thickness". From my trials of cheap to expensive ammo the results vary and get less as the quality goes up but there is still enough variation that when you strike one round that is different it won't hit the same point of aim as the other.

It's cheap to do with something home made or you can buy a designated "Rimfire Rim Thickness Gauge" ......

A home made one looks like this ....

You can see a .22LR cartridge in the case neck and the calipres show the thickness.

If you would like to try it out PM me your mailing address and I'll make one up for you and post it over. Pictured is one made from a .22Hornet Case but it doesn't have a very large case head so I might make on out of an old .22BR Case which is near twice the head diameter. I square the case head and neck to each other with my case trimmer.

Let me know if you want to give it a go.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Sep 2014, 10:53 am

Thanks Apollo,

I'll keep it in mind.
At the moment, I'm trying to sort out my technique. It seems every time I fix one thing, I let another slip, which is infuriating, but I'll get there.
When I'm sorted, I'll definitely be getting in touch with you.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics