How long can you store hand loads?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

How long can you store hand loads?

Post by agentzero » 12 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I've read ammunition will last years and years in the right conditions.

Is this the same for hand loads as well as factory ammo?

I guess I'm wondering does filling it yourself and maybe getting oil from your skin, or dust or whatever else in there cut the shelf life of the things?
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: How long can you store hand loads?

Post by Wes » 12 Sep 2014, 4:16 pm

ADI have a formula for calculating the lifetime of their powders.

It's X number of years less some time for temperatures over a certain temperature. Hotter weather shortens the life from memory.

I can't remember the details though, if someone else can complete the thought?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 12 Sep 2014, 6:29 pm

I bought one of those food vacuum sealers from JB HiFi. I make a label with load data and date before vacuum sealing 10-50 rounds per bag depending on calibre then store those bags in one of those large 50cal type MTM ammo cases with 2 padlocks. These are then stored in my ammo safe which is reasonably well sealed with a couple of big bags of desiccant. Should last for as long as I live, got the vacuum sealer tip from some prepper on youtube...works on food so should be fine for loaded ammo.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 13 Sep 2014, 11:35 am

Psst... we're still shooting ammo from WWII. Not all of it is sealed. A lot of it (rifle) is just IMR 4895.

It works well.

Bullseye and most other pistol powders should last fine, too. Remember it's organic and will degrade. Sealing like you talked about should make it last longer.

If you want it to last years, why not put some lacquer around the neck?

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

the nitrocellulose is very stable, provided the ammo is stored in a stable environment, without severe fluctuation in temp and low humidity.... it should last, I hesitate to say forever, but yeeeeeears...

I'm still shooting 12g rounds that the old man had since the 70's......and yes, plenty of milsurp is as lethal today as it was in WW2.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

"If you want it to last years, why not put some lacquer around the neck?"

I think that is why the WW11 stuff is still shooting OK. It was all sealed against air & moisture. Top idea. Exposure to oxygen & high storage temps will shorten it's life. Heat will speed up most chemical reactions, add oxygen and it oxidizes even faster. For some substances moisture will add to the problem. Reduce some or all and the life will be extended, just like food. Stick it in the fridge and cover with glad wrap, powder is no different. Mmmmmm, not sure if the mrs would like that though :D

A sturdy wooden box in a shaded/cool spot should help to reduce the temperature increases/variables on very hot days and is recommended for powder/ammo storage in some (i think most) states. No static issues with wood either.

Having said that IMO if you are only storing it for say upto 5 years, forget it. It will shoot Ok even if just left in the corner of the garden shed provided it stays sealed & dry. We are talking 15 or more years storage before we need to worry. Just my opinion.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by agentzero » 15 Sep 2014, 11:49 am

Josh Smith wrote:Psst... we're still shooting ammo from WWII. Not all of it is sealed. A lot of it (rifle) is just IMR 4895.

Good to know.

Won't be keeping it that long :D
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Monty » 15 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

Wes wrote:ADI have a formula for calculating the lifetime of their powders.

This is from the ADI website.

Took it from another topic, thanks to Apollo for originally digging it up.

Q: What is the recommended way to store my powder?

A: Store smokeless powders in their original containers, which have been approved for that purpose.

Keep in a cool dry place separate from solvents, flammable gases and other combustible materials.

Ensure that the storage area selected is free from any possible source of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, hot water heaters, furnaces, chimneys, flue pipes, etc.

Avoid storing smokeless powders in areas, which may be heated by the sun or where electrical, electronic or mechanical equipment is operated.

Do not allow containers of powder to contact walls of storage areas where the outside wall is exposed to sunlight or any other form of heating. Any such form of heating may result in spontaneous ignition, either immediately or at a later stage, due to accelerated chemical deterioration.

An average storage temperature below 25ºC is recommended to obtain a safe shelf life of at least ten years from the date of packing.

Increased storage temperature will reduce the safe shelf life significantly – by approximately one third for every 10ºC above 25ºC.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 15 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm

The military ammo with sealed primer and proj, is more so to keep water out of the case, you know, when the soldiers are waste deep in the trenches, or wading through rivers with the rifles held high (I think I saw that in a movie :? :D ) with ammo belt underwater....

Apparently powder and primer don't work as well when wet.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 15 Sep 2014, 4:02 pm

1290 wrote:Apparently powder and primer don't work as well when wet.

No way!
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 15 Sep 2014, 4:28 pm

Lyam wrote:
1290 wrote:Apparently powder and primer don't work as well when wet.

No way!

who would have thunk it...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Grated » 17 Sep 2014, 8:37 am

I have it on good authority that fire doesn't like water.

Helpful information, right?
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 17 Sep 2014, 8:37 am

Grated, I'm going to have to send you some money or something because knowing that will make my life so much easier now :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farm Shooter » 19 Sep 2014, 2:43 pm

I had some .22 rabbit ammo, (can you remember that) that had to be 20years old when it was used. My son fired the last of it and he wasn't born when I brought.
Farm Shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Westy » 20 Sep 2014, 9:08 am

LAST LAST LAST

I make mine to bloody shoot not look at!!!!! :lol: :x :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 21 Sep 2014, 11:08 am

But they're so pretty!
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by 1290 » 21 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

inventurkey wrote:But they're so pretty!

and you can stroke them...... my preeeecious
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 21 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

I disagree with a number of replies in this thread. Not with the overall thrust however that modern handloads are likely shelf stable for several decades.

However it is erroneous to state that nitrocellulose is stable, or that air must be excluded to keep it stable - there is a spontaneous decomposition of nitrocellulose and the conquering of this has been the real secret of smokeless powders success. From the incomparable TL Davis, Chemistry of Powder and Explosives:

The French found out about the instability of nitrocellulose when they lost two ships, the Jena in 1907 and the Liberte in 1911 due to decomposing smokeless powder detonating spontaneously. After this more work was done on retardants, using chemicals like aniline, dephenylamine and the centralite family.

The modern success of smokeless powder in terms of shelf life and temperature insensitivity is due to various coatings that are burning rate retardants and stabilising chemicals.

This is a report of a fellow shooting his 40 year old handloads:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... r-old-ammo
Five years is the oldest I have shot.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 22 Sep 2014, 11:47 am

1290 wrote:and you can stroke them...... my preeeecious

FYI. If the fuzz find you sitting in a dark cave eating raw fish and stroking a rifle, I think they're going to take away your shooting license on the grounds of mental instability :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics