Best long range calibre...

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Best long range calibre...

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 29 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm

Hey guys.

I'm working on the plans for building my next rifle. I really want a rifle that will accurately and effectively shoot 1000+ yards without having to adjust elevation too much. Another major thing is affordability. I'd love to get a .338 Lapua, but running that masterpiece costs a fortune.

I was thinking along the lines of the 7mm-08 or the 7mm Rem Mag. Any ideas?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Best long range calibre...

Post by brett1868 » 30 Sep 2014, 7:49 am

Probably easier if you work out your budget first and build to that. I personally like the .375 Cheytac or 338 lap for extended range and hopefully soon will try out the .416 Barrett round. Apollo is having success with his 6.5mm (I think it's a 6.5) at long range bench rest shooting. Much will also depend on what your intending to shoot, if targets then go down the path of what the bench rest guys shoot as they are the best source of knowledge in that field. I on the other hand want to vaporise large hairy mammals at 1000+ which is why I use 50BMG / 416 Barrett & 375 Cheytac and trying to get my hands on the Anzio 50/20 :).
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 30 Sep 2014, 7:54 am

We can get 50BMG in Australia..? Really..? Sick xD

Yeah I was looking at a .416 Chey Tac the other day online. They look pretty mint.

Would you use any of the 7mm calibres or would they have too much drop?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 30 Sep 2014, 8:02 am

There's no such thing as the best, only compromise. More power, more recoil, shorter barrel life and more expense. I think you'd do well to choose a 6.5 or 7 mm cartridge.

6mm cartridges like 6BR, 6 BRX, 6mm Dasher or 6x47 are near unbeatable out to 600m and their low recoil keeps you shooting consistently longer.

Beyond 600 a 7mm or .30 cal magnum seems to be the choice of 1000y benchrest shooters (bare in mind their light guns weigh max 17lbs but heavy guns weigh well more than this with no weight limit) plus almost all ranges will accept them, not necessarily the case with anything above 338wm

I chose the .284winchested for its ability to launch 180gr high BC bullets that will stay supersonic beyond a mile

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 30 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

TikkaT3.223 wrote:We can get 50BMG in Australia..? Really..? Sick xD

Yeah.

The chambering isn't the problem (in most cases), it's the action.

You can more or less have a bolt-action any-calibre.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Sep 2014, 11:57 am

brett1868 wrote:Probably easier if you work out your budget first and build to that. I personally like the .375 Cheytac or 338 lap for extended range and hopefully soon will try out the .416 Barrett round. Apollo is having success with his 6.5mm (I think it's a 6.5) at long range bench rest shooting. Much will also depend on what your intending to shoot, if targets then go down the path of what the bench rest guys shoot as they are the best source of knowledge in that field. I on the other hand want to vaporise large hairy mammals at 1000+ which is why I use 50BMG / 416 Barrett & 375 Cheytac and trying to get my hands on the Anzio 50/20 :).

brett1868 Gets all the best toys :mrgreen:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 30 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm

TikkaT3.223 wrote:We can get 50BMG in Australia..? Really..? Sick xD

Yeah I was looking at a .416 Chey Tac the other day online. They look pretty mint.

Would you use any of the 7mm calibres or would they have too much drop?

50BMG and most of the other fun calibres are banned in Queensland, at the current pace of legislation you'll be back to rubber bands and spitwads in next to no time.

Also I think you either meant 416 Barrett or the 408 Cheytac cause I'm not aware of a 416 Cheytac cartridge. If it's the M99 Barrett in 416 then I've a thread on here with some pictures of the one I've got and will hopefully shoot this weekend.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ken » 30 Sep 2014, 2:29 pm

MeccaOz wrote:brett1868 Gets all the best toys :mrgreen:

Check out dem toys! :arrow: 416 Barrett Model 99.

Love em.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 30 Sep 2014, 3:08 pm

brett1868 wrote:50BMG and most of the other fun calibres are banned in Queensland, at the current pace of legislation you'll be back to rubber bands and spitwads in next to no time.

There are houses for rent in NSW and VIC ;)
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 30 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Chronos wrote:There's no such thing as the best, only compromise. More power, more recoil, shorter barrel life and more expense. I think you'd do well to choose a 6.5 or 7 mm cartridge.

I chose the .284 Winchester for its ability to launch 180gr high BC bullets that will stay supersonic beyond a mile

I'm a fan of the 7mm family too.

Getting slightly off-topic but you can load up heavy high BC bullets for long range shooting or lighter ones for shorter ranges, hunting and less recoil with a little more versatility than the 30 cal options IMO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 30 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

Recoil in the .30 range neighbourhood shouldn't really matter for hunting though. It's not that heavy...
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 Sep 2014, 3:28 pm

No, the recoil isn't devastating but there's no point in me lobbing out heavy pills just for the sake of it.

I use 120gr loads or varmints, small game and target shooting (fun, 500m) which are very recoil friendly.
140gr for larger game.
If I wanted to I could load up some 175gr pills for more serious long range work.

To tick the same boxes with my .308 I was shooting 150gr - 190gr loads. They didn't do anything more for me and I enjoyed shooting the .308 less. I probably shot it worse as well... Can't remember now.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread with a 30cal vs 7mm argument. That my vote and the experience it's based on.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Oct 2014, 1:39 am

Chronos wrote:There's no such thing as the best, only compromise. More power, more recoil, shorter barrel life and more expense. I think you'd do well to choose a 6.5 or 7 mm cartridge.

6mm cartridges like 6BR, 6 BRX, 6mm Dasher or 6x47 are near unbeatable out to 600m and their low recoil keeps you shooting consistently longer.

Beyond 600 a 7mm or .30 cal magnum seems to be the choice of 1000y benchrest shooters (bare in mind their light guns weigh max 17lbs but heavy guns weigh well more than this with no weight limit) plus almost all ranges will accept them, not necessarily the case with anything above 338wm

I chose the .284winchested for its ability to launch 180gr high BC bullets that will stay supersonic beyond a mile

Chronos

Chronos that would be a hot load for a 284win or is it improved.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 07 Oct 2014, 4:21 am

Yeah you're correct, I mispoke. I just looked at the balistics, with my mild load it goes transonic at around 1,100m not a mile.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 07 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

Lorgar wrote:I enjoyed shooting the .308 less. I probably shot it worse as well...

Lots do. Took me a while to get 100% comfortable behind the 300WM I'll say.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics