Hand loads when there are no more lead bullets

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Hand loads when there are no more lead bullets

Post by Jack V » 06 Mar 2015, 2:10 pm

The problem with all this is that the solid metal bullets are best when they are large calibres and very heavy . If you make a .224 out of a solid brass it will have sh*t ballistics at longer ranges unless you make it very long to get back the original lead bullet weight then barrel twists go very fast and pressures rise dramatically to try and push that bullet as fast as before. It's a case of diminishing returns . If the Military go monolithic bullets only then .223 Rem will probably die .
They would have to go to a 6.5 mm bullet diameter to maintain some decent down range ballistics .
Obama is doing everything possible to weaken the USA and this is another example . It will not affect the large sniper rifles already using monolithic bullets but it will adversely affect other small arms range performance .
I said years ago that no shooter should by any monolithic bullets at all , so the manufacturers are forced to keep the status quo . The bullet manufacturers want to get rid of lead cores as the monolithic is cheaper and quicker to make but they will still cost you the same .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Xerox » 06 Mar 2015, 3:12 pm

Pennsylvania Yank wrote:then attempt to ban much of the the inexpensive, heavy hardened steel core, steel tipped, and alloy bullets that replace lead

That sounds a bit like banning all metal effectively if it's any steel or alloy....

Did they get any of that to stick or are they still arguing for it?
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 06 Mar 2015, 3:18 pm

Load frozen peas.

You ever stand one one of those? Deadly.

Image at 3,000fps.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Turtleburp » 28 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm

Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Apr 2015, 9:32 pm

Ok heres one for the balistic technical savvy folk, if iuse a copper projectile of the same weight as my copper coated lead projectile, say 100 gn

How would the longer 100 gn copper projectile preform against the shorter lead one ... obviously it would catch the wind a bit more but dose it have an up-side being longer ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

China produces the most lead in the world, so no shortage as such, just depends if the bullet makers still want to continue using it and if no enviro concerns stop them from doing so.

http://www.indexmundi.com/minerals/?product=lead
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 28 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Ok heres one for the balistic technical savvy folk, if iuse a copper projectile of the same weight as my copper coated lead projectile, say 100 gn

How would the longer 100 gn copper projectile preform against the shorter lead one ... obviously it would catch the wind a bit more but dose it have an up-side being longer ?

I would guess there'd be pros and cons....

Before leaving the cartridge, if longer does it sit deeper and take case cap away?, if loaded out does it interfere with rifling?

In the barrel, the increase surface area and possibly harder material may increase bearing friction, requiring more energy to drive, and cause more pressure.... less velocity.

Leaving the barrel, more cross sectional area, yes, theoretically more area to be drifted by wind, but depending on shape it may be more inherently stable tip/tail tan/secant (and accurate) but the friction from the increased surface area will result in higher drag co-efficient and lower bc....but bc isnt a measure of accuracy...

thinking out loud here... but more so typing out loud

:thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm

All good points... i don't like them already,
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

bigfellascott wrote:China produces the most lead in the world, so no shortage as such, just depends if the bullet makers still want to continue using it and if no enviro concerns stop them from doing so.

http://www.indexmundi.com/minerals/?product=lead

Can't make lead acid battries without lead... we mine and smelt plenty of lead here in Australia, atleast for now.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bluerob » 29 Apr 2015, 9:10 am

keen wrote:I've got all my marbles (the glass ones, not the ones in my head) from when I was a kid.

Load those up? :D

Don't be crazy. They are collector items that you can trade when there's no lead left.

Wanna sell any?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 29 Apr 2015, 10:43 am

bentaz wrote:I'll just go up the high country and leave lego laying around everywhere then come back and collect all the maimed deer!
Lego trumps pee's any day :lol:

They recently updated the geneva convention to prohibit to use of lego as it's too cruel to have soldier step on it :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 29 Apr 2015, 1:27 pm

The very thought of no lead to cast sends a nasty, cold shiver up my spine!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Carter » 05 May 2015, 11:55 am

Genuine question, what is there in the way of lead replacements for reloaders/casters?

We obviously won't all be making solid copper projectiles on lathes in the future. Is there a viable DIY alloy perhaps that could serve as a replacement?
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by anthillinside » 06 May 2015, 1:50 am

Carter wrote:Genuine question, what is there in the way of lead replacements for reloaders/casters?

We obviously won't all be making solid copper projectiles on lathes in the future. Is there a viable DIY alloy perhaps that could serve as a replacement?

Now we get down to reality and the answer is no, not that is economically viable.
And there’s the danger and the anti's weapon. :silent:
It’s not the possibility that lead supply will become scarce, it’s the possibility that it could become demonized to the same level as asbestos that would kill us (in more ways than one and the greens have used that tactic already from memory thats wy we have steal shot)
But as long as theres no economic reason for big business to stop using and producing lead acid batteries we're pretty safe with lead supply. :thumbsup:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 06 May 2015, 2:36 am

Go out and get a couple hundred pounds of lead. It's not expensive. From what you said in this thread, you still use it for wheel weights. We have plenty of lead around as well but wheel weights have been mostly zinc here for a while now so that angle is a little more difficult than it once was.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 06 May 2015, 8:52 am

A few of the bullet producers offer 'green' bullets, either copper or other alloys that with their use and through our sheer effort will save the whales, the baby seals and stop climate change in its track.... :crazy: :roll: not.

Seriously, the EPA enviro-extremist authority has closed down every single lead producer in the USA, not a single left, with this misguided theory that strenuous licensing condition and other mechanisms will close down these 'polluting industries'....... of course the off-shoring to countries with minimal or zero enviro standards doesnt matter as they are out of sight out of mind, right....

It is strange that the save the planet from ourselves movement coincides with the 'also save us by trying to disarm us', a convenience perhaps.

In the US, I understand little if any virgin mined lead was going into bullet production anyway, so the recycling of lead acid batteries mainly serves most lead industries sufficiently. I wonder if the zinc, tin, copper (some lead 'replacement' elements) mining operations are any different from an enviro perspective than lead???
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Brute » 06 May 2015, 9:16 am

1290 wrote:A few of the bullet producers offer 'green' bullets, either copper or other alloys that with their use and through our sheer effort will save the whales, the baby seals and stop climate change in its track.... :crazy: :roll: not.

Any idea what the cost of said bullets is?

With a green price tag they're going to hurt the wallet a bit I'd guess.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 06 May 2015, 9:24 am

Brute wrote:
1290 wrote:A few of the bullet producers offer 'green' bullets, either copper or other alloys that with their use and through our sheer effort will save the whales, the baby seals and stop climate change in its track.... :crazy: :roll: not.

Any idea what the cost of said bullets is?

With a green price tag they're going to hurt the wallet a bit I'd guess.

Did a quick looksee, there is a premium to be paid as expected;

SPEER PROJECTILES 22 CAL .224
PER 100
S1021 SPEER 224 30GR TNT GREEN (HORNET) $58.85
S1014 SPEER 224 33GR HP VARMINT $37.25
S1017 SPEER 224 40GR SP $36.35
S1022 SPEER 224 43GR TNT GREEN $73.45
S1023 SPEER 224 45GR SPITZER $36.35
S1024 SPEER 224 46GR FN CANNALURE $36.35
S1030 SPEER 224 50GR HP TNT VARMINT $38.30
S1029 SPEER 224 50GR SPITZER $36.35
S1028 SPEER 224 50GR TNT GREEN $49.60