300 AAC Blackout fad over?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

300 AAC Blackout fad over?

Post by Rocker » 09 Oct 2014, 3:20 pm

Something that popped into my head today...

Everyone will remember when 300 Blackout was newer all the fanboys were gah-gah for them and it was just about all you could find talk of.

Haven't seen a post for months at least...

I go to the range pretty regularly and haven't seen one for a while either.

Seems to fad is over? Anyone still seeing them around? or just on used guns :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: 300 AAC Blackout fad over?

Post by Chronos » 09 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

That's because people realised that they were near pointless without a semi auto and a suppressor.

The round makes sense if you're an American buying a semiautomatic rifle for home defence, which is what the round was designed for. To provide better mid range performance than the 9mm Luger, fit existing AR magazines. Basically they spent all that time and money reinventing the 7.62X39 then convincing everyone it was the next big thing

Before the blackout it was the 6.8SPC

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Oct 2014, 6:51 pm

Yeah I kinda always put the 300 Blackout in the "might be useful if we were allowed suppressors" category. But there are people out there who are loving them for different reasons. Personally I own a 308 If we were allowed suppressors I'd make up so subsonic 200gn loads.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Timb0 » 09 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

I picked up a copy of Guns Australia in the news agents yesterday and one of the first pages I flicked to was an article on the .300 AAC Blackout ( rem 700). I put it down and left.

I will be glad when the tacticool days are over, but I think it might mean they will just make everything bright orange next!
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 09 Oct 2014, 7:57 pm

Well I read a lot of negatives here about the 300 blackout, quick question do any of you own one???? Well I do so I think I can comment more so than the rest of you and say your right up to a point but don't knock it till you try it as they say!!!!

No suppressor makes it useless, I don't think so. We have found it to be a great cartage on fallow deer, red deer and hogs of any size in fact I find it better on pigs than any 308 and that's going to get the fur flying here for sure.

I'm old and so have the time more than others too dick around with it, we bought it mainly for s**ts and giggles but it truly is a versatile cartridge in many respects. We all got 223's so we have a steady supply of brass and who doesn't own a 30 cal ????

Well sometimes if you don't know s**t from clay your better not saying anything as I'll be keeping mine as it fills a gap on smaller blocks with a lot less bullet travel and still has enough knock down with 110 grn V max's out to 200yrds and tell me who has shot a deer (not including you boys from Vic /Sambar) in the past 12 months ??? Is it the greatest rifle in the safe---- No is it the worst no but it does fill a little gap that needed filling in my safe.

Here's a pic of a fallow we dropped a few months ago at 100 yrds pill entered but remained contained in the beast killing it instantly, so guys it's not all about tactical s**t and supperssors and yer sure your 30-06 or 7mm-08 can do it better I'm sure but this does it with out recoil and a ****** quitter than they ever will so sorry guys I think your all wrong on this one :lol: :D :lol:
Attachments
neil deer 2.jpg
neil deer 2.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 12949 times
neil deer.jpg
neil deer.jpg (99.76 KiB) Viewed 12949 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 09 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm

i'm sure you right on all accounts westy and i certainly don't own one but i have fired one. i looked at one a while back, did my research and found the benefits of the cartridge didn't carry enough weight to justify itself a place in my safe.

my point relates to subsonic ammo of course and to me, and that's all i can base my opinion on i have no need for a rifle that shoots heavy (and expensive) 220gr bullets as subsonic speeds, sure it'd be fun to play with but at the time i couldn't afford a gun just to play with and shooting lighter bullets supersonic makes it almost no different to any other centerfire as far as noise goes, sure it wouldn't have the bark of a .243 but you'd still need hearing protection

i still plan on buying a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39, to me the 300 offers an alternative but the only advantage it has is .308 bullets

Chronos

this year i bought a .44mag lever gun.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 09 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm

44 Mag great lever gun also a fan of the 357 , as I said just something to have a little fun with and dream about the day we get with the program like the rest of the modern world and let us have a hush puppy!!!! Got to tell you 110grn speer hollow points with 6 grns of trail boss very quite but pretty useless after 50 yrds as they want to start tumbling after that range.. In fact their pretty useless full Stop!!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Timb0 » 09 Oct 2014, 9:13 pm

Westy, people who have the time to muck around and do what they want I'm envious of and I would probably do something similar.

I don't like the modern day consumerism that seems so control people and I don't like the marketing hype behind things like the .300 blackout. If i wanted a smaller 30 cal cartridge I'd buy a 30-30 not that I think they are special but more the guns they come in. Since I cant own an AR style rifle the .300 blackout seems not so good for me.

I'm sure it kills things quite well after all human size game is what its designed for and no doubt marketed for in the US.

I don't have anything against people who want to gin around with unusual cartridges.

I'm only admitting this as I have the guilts on, I do own a rem 700 AAC in 308.
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 09 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm

Didnt mean to knock it mate, just giving my reasons why it's not for me. I'm following Chrono's lead, as I's love a CZ in 7.62 x 39, simply for something different and it's a viable alternative to the 223 in some respects :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 12 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

In my mind this is where the 300bk fits into the Australian market. Obviously we can't saw that much barrel off but even that cut to 16 inches would make a pretty good scrub gun. Put a 10 shot mag in and it's no different to a pump or lever if you have the skills.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.11 KiB) Viewed 12893 times
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by newsteadvic » 13 Oct 2014, 5:14 am

Westy wrote: We have found it to be a great cartage on fallow deer, red deer and hogs of any size in fact I find it better on pigs than any 308 and that's going to get the fur flying here for sure.

I am sure it is great for these things - it is a slightly downloaded 30-30 which has been doing these jobs for decades. There is a lot to be said for the 30-30, 7.62x39 and 300 whisper/blackout.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inspector » 13 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

Timb0 wrote:I will be glad when the tacticool days are over

I wouldn't hold your breath.

There's always the next generation doing cool 'for the first time'.

There will always be picatinny rails and black spraypaint :lol:
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 13 Oct 2014, 6:40 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:In my mind this is where the 300bk fits into the Australian market.

That is a pretty cool little unit.

Muzzle blast must be a bastard though being that short :lol:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 13 Oct 2014, 8:19 pm

Dont forget the 300bk is probably burning under 20gr of a fast powder so blast wouldn't compare to a 20" .308 I'd guess. I'm sure others could give a more accurate comparison.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 13 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

Yep very little blast or recoil 110Grn V-max using 17.5Grns of 2205 gives very little to nil in the Muzzle blast Dept :lol: :D :lol: Do you reckon I might be able to get myself on Commission at Remington???? :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking for some Lil Gun supposed to give me 200 FPS more at the muzzle according to Hodgdons reloading data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Manimal » 15 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

I had forgotten that actually, it's a good point.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 29 Apr 2015, 2:07 pm

I can see that.

With a brake would make an especially friendly .30 cal for the kids. Something they might not be able to handle well otherwise.

:thumbsup:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by CustomPC » 29 Apr 2015, 2:25 pm

I'm considering a .300 blackout just as something to use at 50 - 100m target ranges.

It seems that i only ever get the time to visit the indoor range these days.
I normally take a rimfire but i enjoy the whole technical aspect of reloading and load development just as much as shooting.

I'm thinking a .300 Blackout would be an ideal caliber for indoor range use with it's low muzzle blast.
I'm also looking into reduced loads with a .223 which generate .22 Magnum - .22 Hornet Ballistics.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 30 Apr 2015, 9:28 am

I'd certainly consider the Blackout / AAC in a small action scaled around the little cartridge. Can't see ANY point in chambering it in a 308-size action.

You can always load the 308 down a bit.

I really hope that Howa chamber their new Mini-action in the 300AAC, and that they import them of course.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by CustomPC » 30 Apr 2015, 9:48 am

bobnob wrote:I really hope that Howa chamber their new Mini-action in the 300AAC, and that they import them of course.

Oh.... Do you have any links to that Mini-Action? It's the first i've heard of it.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Apr 2015, 11:48 am

bobnob wrote:I'd certainly consider the Blackout / AAC in a small action scaled around the little cartridge. Can't see ANY point in chambering it in a 308-size action.

You can always load the 308 down a bit.

I really hope that Howa chamber their new Mini-action in the 300AAC, and that they import them of course.

CZ already do their 527 mini mauser action in 7.62X39, hard to make a case for a 300BO but there are a few guys rebarreling .223 527's in 300AAC and a better choice IMHO 300 Filski, a full length .223 case necked up to 30cal

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bobnob » 30 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

CustomPC wrote:
bobnob wrote:I really hope that Howa chamber their new Mini-action in the 300AAC, and that they import them of course.

Oh.... Do you have any links to that Mini-Action? It's the first i've heard of it.

http://www.legacysports.com/mini-action-rife

Looks good if you ask me.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by The Brass » 05 May 2015, 9:40 am

Chronos wrote:hard to make a case for a 300BO but there are a few guys rebarreling .223 527's in 300AAC and a better choice IMHO 300 Filski, a full length .223 case necked up to 30cal

You know the cartridges development history I'm sure, that it was designed for suppressed military use in short-mid range actions. Which it's probably perfect for. Horses for courses, right?

I wouldn't knock it, but it was certainly over hyped to start. We can thank the US mall-ninjas for that I guess.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 05 May 2015, 8:49 pm

It wouldn't particularly shine in Australia. It's built around the AR-15 and magazines, 5.56 brass, with full power and subsonic options at the whim of the shooter with no changes to the configuration of the rifle. It's obvious why it is popular in the US. It uses all the same gear as your AR-15, just a different barrel.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Arth » 06 May 2015, 9:24 am

No AR-15s and no suppressors here which gimps it a bit :(
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 06 May 2015, 11:27 am

Arth wrote:No AR-15s and no suppressors here which gimps it a bit :(

Absolutely. I didn't even like the idea when it came out. The subsonic .300 has the energy of a .45, so I figured why bother?

But when you throw in the improved ballistics (subsonic), AR commonality, and ability to switch to supersonic rifle ammo without changing anything I guess it makes sense. I don't have one but friends do. Without any of that stuff, it's a niche round and if you like it I guess you like it.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusC » 10 May 2015, 10:21 am

lmao, what a setup.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 10 May 2015, 9:29 pm

with all the hassle of making cases or buying over priced when i can afford it i

will be doing a 30 apache , easy to load sub or full house that rival the 30-30 .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 May 2015, 9:36 pm

deye243 wrote:with all the hassle of making cases or buying over priced when i can afford it i

will be doing a 30 apache , easy to load sub or full house that rival the 30-30 .

check out the 300 Filski

http://www.filskis.com/323_FILSKI.html

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Franky » 11 May 2015, 6:23 am

That 300 Filski looks the goods but you'd have to prep your own cases right can't buy them over the counter yet right?
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics