300 AAC Blackout fad over?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 300 AAC Blackout fad over?

Post by gunnnie » 04 Jul 2019, 5:01 am

Bugger, bloody typical eh!
I use Lil'gun for my 300BO and also 22Hornet. I have 3 tubs in the locker.
Might do some chasing to verify that info. If it does pan out then I'll be chasing a few more tubs to keep loads running for a while.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

Time to go back to AR2205 me thinks. It appears AR2205 is most similar to IMR 4227? (compared with H4227/H110 and W296).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 04 Jul 2019, 11:21 am

300 Blackout is sorta like the transgender equivalent of a hunting cartridge, not really flat shooting or deep penetration, sorta not quite a man yet not really a woman.....

Hey whatever floats ya boat I guess :lol:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2019, 11:31 am

Bill wrote:300 Blackout is sorta like the transgender equivalent of a hunting cartridge, not really flat shooting or deep penetration, sorta not quite a man yet not really a woman.....
Hey whatever floats ya boat I guess :lol:

Well that's a matter of perspective isn't it. The 300blk is pretty flat shooting compared to a 22lr. And it sure penetrates better than a 204.

Yet a 223 isn't flat shooting compared to a 17rem is it? Does that make the 223 transgender?

It's all relative... :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 Jul 2019, 6:55 pm

Bwahahaha, nicely put Sir.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

in2anity wrote:
Well that's a matter of perspective isn't it. The 300blk is pretty flat shooting compared to a 22lr. And it sure penetrates better than a 204.

Yet a 223 isn't flat shooting compared to a 17rem is it? Does that make the 223 transgender?

It's all relative... :drinks:

In what circumstances does it penetrate better than a 204? Both would use fairly frangable bullets I assume.

If you love the case and have fun shooting it, then good for you. Like you said it is more capable than a 22lr and I have shot ten of thousands of rim fire rounds and had great fun doing it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 7:49 pm

SCJ429 wrote:In what circumstances does it penetrate better than a 204? Both would use fairly frangable bullets I assume.

If you love the case and have fun shooting it, then good for you. Like you said it is more capable than a 22lr and I have shot ten of thousands of rim fire rounds and had great fun doing it.

300BLK uses the same bullets as .308 or .30-06, and heavier - they certainly penetrate better than .204.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Jul 2019, 8:07 pm

SCJ429 wrote:In what circumstances does it penetrate better than a 204?

Last I checked a 40gr pill spat at 4000fps fragments a tad more than say a 130gr 30cal pill spat at 2000fps. And that’s assuming your using the light pill... not sure where your going there sj...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jul 2019, 8:23 pm

I am wondering if you used a bullet with the same construction, how a 220 grain bullet going 1,010 fps was going to provide more penetration than a 40 grain bullet at 3,800 fps? Too lazy to do the maths myself.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 8:56 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I am wondering if you used a bullet with the same construction, how a 220 grain bullet going 1,010 fps was going to provide more penetration than a 40 grain bullet at 3,800 fps? Too lazy to do the maths myself.

You're comparing a subsonic 300BLK load with a high-velocity .204 load?
300BLK shoots high-velocity as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jul 2019, 9:19 pm

Yes, you are right. I was thinking of the earlier conversation regarding using heavy pills at subsonic speeds. I see the upper end of the 300 AAC performance is probably similar to a 30/30. My experiences using a 204 have seen it blowing things apart with very frangable bullets.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jul 2019, 12:58 am

in2anity wrote:I was just told by LGS that Winchester (Australia) aren’t importing (Winchester?) powders anymore? If that’s true, there goes all my Lilgun load development.

My understanding is CFE BLK is relatively close to Lil Gun, so it shouldn't be too hard to switch in that direction. I'd grab a big jug of Lil Gun while you can.

I have a canister of CFE BLK sitting there right now and will start working on loads with it soon.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 06 Jul 2019, 6:45 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Yes, you are right. I was thinking of the earlier conversation regarding using heavy pills at subsonic speeds. I see the upper end of the 300 AAC performance is probably similar to a 30/30. My experiences using a 204 have seen it blowing things apart with very frangible bullets.

In your question/query is your answer. Any projectile moving at ultra high velocities and RPm will have a higher propensity to fragment/blow up up on impact. This is simply dynamics of velocity. Were you to drive the same projectile slower you would find that it would penetrate further; simple ballistics!

Looking at a 30cal pill as a comparative argument. Drive a 150gn pill at 3600fps and it will fragment/blow up upon impact. But if you drive it at 2000fps it potentially will not fragment and will penetrate further.

Clear as mud???
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2019, 9:36 pm

gunnnie wrote:
simple ballistics!

Looking at a 30cal pill as a comparative argument. Drive a 150gn pill at 3600fps and it will fragment/blow up upon impact. But if you drive it at 2000fps it potentially will not fragment and will penetrate further.

Clear as mud???

Unfortunately that is not how it works. Energy equals mass times speed. If you are using a bullet designed for penetration such as a solid or FMJ the faster you drive the bullet the more penetration you will achieve. You don't shoot armour piercing projectiles at tanks at subsonic speeds. This type of ordinance is delivered as fast as possible.

You are correct that for highly frangable hunting bullets are designed to come apart to dump their energy on the target and may blow up on mud caked pigs for example without achieving any penetration. If you deliver other projectiles at low speeds that does not induce fragmentation, they are likely to pencil through your target.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 07 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

Right! Now you're changing the parameters of the discussion by saying "if you are using a bullet designed for penetration"! Additionally, adding the armour piercing projectile at a tank aspect doesn't relate to the initial discussion regarding penetration of a high velocity 20cal as compared to a lower velocity 30cal projectile. There's a lot more that comes into play with an AP round on armour. The terminal ballistics includes more variables and known quantifiable values. It was also accepted in ballistics that increased penetration comes with increased diameter/weight, until metallurgy, design principles & improved powders came about - enter the APFSDS.

Now you wrote, " In what circumstances does it penetrate better than a 204? Both would use fairly frangable bullets I assume." to in2anity's post - right? Then you wrote, "I am wondering if you used a bullet with the same construction, how a 220 grain bullet going 1,010 fps was going to provide more penetration than a 40 grain bullet at 3,800 fps? Too lazy to do the maths myself." - right?

Going by your response above, you are saying that if a 20cal FMJ is driven at say 4000fps it will provide deeper penetration. Let alone doing the same with a 30cal FMJ driven at 4000fps or higher! Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree on that thinking.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Jul 2019, 8:43 am

gunnnie wrote:[

In your question/query is your answer. Any projectile moving at ultra high velocities and RPm will have a higher propensity to fragment/blow up up on impact. This is simply dynamics of velocity. Were you to drive the same projectile slower you would find that it would penetrate further; simple ballistics!

Clear as mud???

I brought projectiles designed to penetrate into the discussion because you said "any projectile".
You said this was "simple dynamics of velocity."
The more speed you put into a mass the more energy it has. If you drive even a small mass fast enough you could get it to pass through anything.

Of course a 40 grain pill driven at 4000 fps has less energy than a 220 grain pill driven at 4000 fps.

You are saying that two identical 150 grain pills are shot at a target, one at 2000 fps and one at 3600 fps and the slower bullet will penetrate more. This is not correct. Shoot the two bullets at a steel plate to test your theory.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 07 Jul 2019, 10:51 am

What does the relevance of a steel plate have to living tissue? Steel plate is thin as compared to the broadside dimensions of an animal. Plus within living tissue there are variations in density, anything from hard (bone) to light (lungs). All of which influences how the projectile imparts it's kinetic energy.

How then do you explain the old buffalo hunters of the US west using large caliber lead projectiles, fired from black powder rifles, moving at relatively slow speeds, passing through bison at long range? Would the same be possible with a high velocity projectile!

From what is known, lead projectiles such as from a pistol, rifle of shottie slug, will not usually deform when punching through living tissue; skin/muscle/tendon/fat etc, without some form of special design aspect such as a hollow point. Without such a design characteristic, the values of velocity & mass then change the outcomes within what potentially becomes the physics of a hydrodynamic nature. Sporting projectiles, even projectiles for military use, are usually tested and calibrated on a simulated tissue, ballistic gelatin. This is supposed to replicate the resistance of living tissue. Just how accurate this is, is open to debate, but it is done this way as it provides a means of consistency & uniformity of quantifiable measurements/data. But ballistic scientists will quantify that such tests are not an 'accurate' indicator of the actual effect on living tissue.

Sporting projectiles aren't designed or tested for their penetration against steel plates. Though it is an interesting test of sporting projectile design and engineering parameters.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

It is very difficult to show the difference between the energy dumped onto an animal because each shot may hit different things but you can quickly see the difference on something like steel. The higher velocity round will penetrate more.

Most early buffalo hunters use large caliber cases with bullets often from 500 to 700 grain. They made up in mass what they lost in speed. Longer shots were rare because their rifles were inaccurate compared to rifles of today. Stories of long shots made it into folk law because they were rare and very impressive at the time.

There are instances where a 204 will outperform larger calibers where it makes up in speed what it lacks in mass. It can be difficult to make a bullet effective at subsonic speeds which is why it can be unethical to shoot at game at extreme ranges. Bullet speed and terminal energy is low. They tend to pencil through things because they don't have the energy to get the jacket to open up as it is designed to do. This can be mistaken for greater penetration but in fact the bullet has less energy.

Bullet blow up is when you hit something tough and the jacket come apart without getting to the vitals. This has nothing to do with more speed, just bullet design. A partitioner bullet is more appropriate where the front of the bullet expands but a separate lead core provides the penetration. If you really want to penetrate things that are very tough you would use a solid which you can drive as fast as you like. I am sure you already know this stuff.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 07 Jul 2019, 10:39 pm

Penetration for solid projectiles is not necessarily linear relationship to velocity, and does not hold across multiple medias. its probably better keeping armour piercing out of normal rifle debates especially, the mechanics behind it are beyond highschool maths. Penetration comes down to the qualities of the target, hardness relative to target, all the metallurgical factors relating to strength, stabilisation in the media etc. Projectiles may use mechanisms of cavitation, breaking, shattering, or causing stretch failure (like a 12 ga punching a plug out of light steel). Shooting soft metal a certain energy may get a certain penetration, but with hard metals you may have more of a pass/fail relationship, if it can't make it right through, it rebounds, in your direction!

There are also velocity nodes where more velocity causes less penetration. An engineer over at accurate reloading called Harald did a lot of tests of elephant gun solids at different velocities and sometimes found penetration dropped at some velocity point, then increased again at another. The theory was many of the traditional round nose FMJ in the elephant guns werent blunt enough. Blunt bullets are theorised to set up a cavitation bubble where they can continue to rotate gyroscopically. This stability is not actually possible iby itself in fluids being 1000x denser than air. ( Its why elephant gun FMJ and solids are blunt, not spitzers as spitzers are too prone to veering of course or tumbing after long wound paths in fluid animal bodies) . The theory was he was picking up rotational instabilities when the bullets were pushed at a certain velocity - relative to their shape..

Anyway its too complicated to describe every instance with a basic momentum or kinetic energy formula.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

mickb wrote:...or causing stretch failure (like a 12 ga punching a plug out of light steel).

An 8x57mm cast lead 180gn bullet at 2500fps punched a steel "plug" out of 8mm plate, I still have it somewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Jul 2019, 8:44 am

Considering the forecast for Winchester powders in the Australian is looking bleak, I went back to revisit adi's AR2205 under the budget Speer 125gr TNT bullet. Sadly we cannot bank on Hogdons lilgun supplies in the foreseeable future :thumbsdown:

In the interim I've been learning more about differences between extruded "stick" powder vs double-base ball type powder. Lilgun is a type of ball powder. What does this mean? Well compared with extruded powders, ball powders are generally harder to ignite, and often give poorer standard deviations. Therefore lilgun really demands a magnum primer. And the harder magnum primers do not gel with with the (at least early model) RARRs (like mine). So in many ways, in my RARR 300aac it's actually more suited to an extruded powder like AR2205 (with a regular SR primer such as the cci400).

AR2205 was definitely a little finickier to get to group (at least compared with the lilgun loads), but thankfully I found a node with this powder+projectile+rifle combo last night:

speer.jpg
18gr AR2205 under Speer 125gr "TNT", light crimp. 4x scope.
speer.jpg (1013.76 KiB) Viewed 6734 times

For the record I went up to a compressed 19gn AR2205 load without any pressure signs (AR disclaimer in a bolt gun I might add!!). The 18gr load is yet to be chronoed, but from my previous findings, std-dev should be more than adequate with AR2205. I take comfort in knowing it's not the very hottest of loads as I was seeing primer pockets opening up with hot lilgun loads.

This journey has also brought into light the potential need for a crimp; not from an accuracy perspective, but rather the RARR seems to be fairly rough on the projectile as it feeds from the rotary magazine. I feel sometimes the gun would set-back the pill, leading to flyers and pressure spikes. I'll be crimping from now on just to relieve my anxiety about any set-back, which really makes a bullet with a cannelure (like the Hornady SST) a little more desirable... still a light crimp on the cannelureless Speer bullet certainly does not seem to do any measurable harm to group sizes.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 19 Jul 2019, 2:27 pm

Handy to know. Looks like it'll be worth while re-visiting loads for my RARR also.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 Jul 2019, 2:31 pm

Mate I have been running the Hornady 125 SST WITH AR2205, no crimp and have had no issues at all.
I have just started experimenting with the Speer 130 HP. Whilst they shoot quite nicely, I have an issue with the last round feeding properly from the magazine. I initially seated the projectiles a few though of the lands however could not get them to feed at all. I am now loading them at spec length and they feed nicely with the exception of the last round out of the magazine. Any suggestions?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 19 Jul 2019, 2:37 pm

Just to clarify mate I have the Ruger American Ranch with rotary mag.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Jul 2019, 3:52 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I have been running the Hornady 125 SST WITH AR2205, no crimp and have had no issues at all.
I have just started experimenting with the Speer 130 HP. Whilst they shoot quite nicely, I have an issue with the last round feeding properly from the magazine. I initially seated the projectiles a few though of the lands however could not get them to feed at all. I am now loading them at spec length and they feed nicely with the exception of the last round out of the magazine. Any suggestions?

Don't really have any suggestions unfortunately JT - my rotary mag also has same problems with the speer bullet - some have suggested filing the feed lips a touch to get the round to feed a tad higher. Other than that - I picked up the Lucky13 10-shot mag. It feeds reliably, but only if you cycle the action with authority - if you limp-wrist it, the rounds jam. But the problem with that is it puts more wear on your brass... plus the L13 mag is a bit of a monstrosity on the little rifle. :crazy:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 19 Jul 2019, 5:05 pm

Yep I can imaging it would be mate. I like the rotary mag being flush with the bottom of the rifle, bit easier on the back when rifle is slung whilst riding motor bike.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 19 Jul 2019, 10:58 pm

I have a box of those Sierra 130gn Hog Hammers but haven't got round to trying them in my RARR yet. Have been using Sierra 125gn and 110gn pills.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Jul 2019, 7:14 am

Me too mate, if you happen to try them before I do then post the results for us to have a look at.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 20 Jul 2019, 8:59 am

Picked up a box of the Hornady SSTs - feeding 100% reliably out of the factory rotary. It’s a bit of a shame, as those TNT bulk packs are very well priced. You get what you pay for I suppose :unknown:

C32A29D4-4B79-4329-B11C-F898851D6291.jpeg
125gr TNT vs SST
C32A29D4-4B79-4329-B11C-F898851D6291.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 6676 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 20 Jul 2019, 10:45 am

Yep the 125 SST feed faultlessly out of mine too mate. Fortunately they are accurate and perform well on the hogs too. Seems the magazines just don’t like feeding hollow points.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics