Best rate of twist for a .223?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Best rate of twist for a .223?

Post by Macca » 11 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

Im about to buy a tikka t3 hunter stainless fluted in .223 however it has the option of a 8 or 12" rate of twist. I want to use it shooting foxes, roos but also some long distance shooting. what would be the best rate of twist? any recommendations or benefits negatives of each? cheers
:)
Macca
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Best rate of twist for a .223?

Post by tom604 » 11 Oct 2014, 2:33 pm

what weight bullets are you going to use,1 in 12 you can go up to 65? from memory , 1 in 8 you can go heavier not sure by how much
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 11 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

I have both in the Tikka ,my first choice would be 1-8" wider variety of pills IMHO
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 11 Oct 2014, 4:34 pm

For a spotlighting gun 40-55 grain bullets 1:12 is the best. For a target rifle you'll want faster, 1:8 is good for the long heavy bullets, and will shoot the light ones ok.

It will always be a compromise asking for a rifle to both shoot light and heavy bullets, but 1:8 gives you the most flexibility.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Stevo » 11 Oct 2014, 4:43 pm

I've got the 1 in 8 in my T3 and it handles the 55's just fine but i mostly shoot the heavier projectiles in it like the 69 smk, 75 amax and 80.5 bergers (and it loves them), so much more versatility to be able to shoot the heavier ones at the longer ranges with a faster twist.
Hunting ain't no catch and release sport.

Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 1:8" .223
CZ 452 American .22LR
Sportco Model 33 .222

and some...
Stevo
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Chronos » 11 Oct 2014, 7:46 pm

What they said^^^^^

1:12 " for 40-60gr bullets and 1:8" for 55-80gr.

In reality a fast moving 55gr pill can still be as accurate at longer ranges as a 68gr but you'll be splitting hairs to see which is affected more by the wind.

A lot depends on your definition of long range, a long range shot on a fox could be just 300m so I doubt mr fox could tell the difference

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 14 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

Chronos wrote:a long range shot on a fox could be just 300m so I doubt mr fox could tell the difference

I'll ask for feedback... Just the next time a bullet bounces off a fox ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by south » 14 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

yoshie wrote:It will always be a compromise asking for a rifle to both shoot light and heavy bullets, but 1:8 gives you the most flexibility.

Why's it a compromise shooting the lighter bullets in the 1:8 twist barrel?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tiiger » 14 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

1:8 if you're interested in shooting long range.

Chronos has a valid point about your definition of long range... But if it's something your interested in doing you'll want to shoot further and further in time.

Get the one that'll do more because you'll end up needing it ;)

IMO.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by chrispy88 » 23 Nov 2014, 9:59 am

Interested in hearing an answer to south's question, can someone throw some light on the downsides to spinning a lighter bullet faster please?
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 24 Nov 2014, 10:06 am

chrispy88 wrote:can someone throw some light on the downsides to spinning a lighter bullet faster please?

A bit faster is no issue, if it's spun excessively fast though the bullet can be "over-stabilized".

(Personally I think that's a s**ty term for it but that's the one that's coined and that stuck)

This is quoted from Shooting Times, the last point is key though...

Over-stabilization as a result of a too-fast twist rate can occur, resulting in a bullet that travels along its downward arc with its tip pointing skyward, exacerbating wind drift and hastening velocity loss. Ideally, the tip of a properly stabilized bullet should tip downward as the bullet begins its downward arc. Clearly, an over-stabilized bullet is not conducive to accuracy, but it is only noticeable in extreme cases of over-stabilization and at very long range. You’d never notice it at hunting distances.

It's not something your average shooting is going to encounter.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Jack V » 24 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

Yes it can do that as well as a bit more spin drift but most people will not notice it . Even correctly stabilised spire point boat tail bullets like Military FMJ can travel nose up for a while to some degree . I have a spark range picture some place I will see if I can find it.
You can see it is traveling slightly nose up due the larger angle of the upper shock wave compared to the lower angle .
Attachments
fig2.gif
fig2.gif (261.81 KiB) Viewed 20195 times
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Macca » 24 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

chrispy88 wrote:Interested in hearing an answer to south's question, can someone throw some light on the downsides to spinning a lighter bullet faster please?

ended up finding an interesting little link on the best twist rates and over stabilisation of bullets etc if your interested
http://anarchangel.blogspot.com.au/2007 ... ology.html
:)
Macca
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Mich » 25 Nov 2014, 9:37 am

Sender wrote:"over-stabilized".

(Personally I think that's a s**ty term for it but that's the one that's coined and that stuck)

I get what you mean, the term doesn't really make sense.

A table can be stable or unstable, It can't be over-stabilized so that it's too stable. No such thing.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by chrispy88 » 03 Dec 2014, 1:48 pm

Ok thanks guys.

Looking at buying a .223 for my next one so this helps heaps. At this stage I'm thinking 1:9 or 1:8 so I can throw heavier pills.

Good to know i shouldnt be too adversely affected if i want to use lighter ones too.

Cheers.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 03 Dec 2014, 3:08 pm

No probs :)
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stoney » 25 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm

tikka.jpg
tikka.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 15182 times
G'day fellas, I have just agreed to buy a second hand old model Tikka T3 Stainless Laminate in .223 that has had no use from a bloke I know at a very good price. Problem is I have no idea what twist rate it is. I don't have the rifle in hand yet. Question..... Is there any markings, or way to tell on the rifle what the twist rate is? I understand Tikka offered two twist rates with these rifles? Cheers. The pic is what the rifle looks like. The newer T3x? have different checkering it seems.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 25 Apr 2018, 4:41 pm

its stamped on the barrel 223 rem space then a number 8 or 12 or what ever just went and checked mine is an 8
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 25 Apr 2018, 4:47 pm

Cheers pomemax. Thanks heaps for that mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 25 Apr 2018, 4:56 pm

From memory it is stamped on the barrel of mine.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Apr 2018, 5:00 pm

Yes, I just txted the seller and it's an 8. That's exactly what I wanted. To be able to shoot the heaviest projectiles. Thanks you good bastards.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Apr 2018, 11:08 pm

Stoney wrote:Yes, I just txted the seller and it's an 8. That's exactly what I wanted. To be able to shoot the heaviest projectiles. Thanks you good bastards.

woohoo 75g vmax and berger heaven
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Apr 2018, 7:40 am

If you have an unbalanced wheel on your car you will not feel the vibration at 40 but it will be shaking the steering wheel at 100. The same with jacket runout on a projectile. You increase rpm with velocity and fast twist rates. All things being equal a 1:12 will shoot better groups with a 55 grain pill than a 1:8. This is why PPC shooters use slow twist in their barrels to shoot groups.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics