Those who've done the .308 to 7mm-08 switch

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Those who've done the .308 to 7mm-08 switch

Post by subatom » 16 Oct 2014, 2:41 pm

Not to repeat this same old argument with which is better on paper.

To the 7mm-08 shooters here, did any of you go from a .308 to your 7mm because of the usual arguments?

More pointedly, was it worth it once you'd done it?

:?:
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Those who've done the .308 to 7mm-08 switch

Post by Calamity Jen » 21 Oct 2014, 7:51 pm

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this too. I'm newly into deer hunting, butchering and caping especially and enjoying it a lot and looking to add a new rifle. Love a good trophy wall, which I'm working on and a full freezer. I've been mainly varminting with my .223. I'm not likely to come across many Samba so am thinking either/or here and keen to hear the pluses and or minuses.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 21 Oct 2014, 8:37 pm

I know there are a few guys here that have gone down the 7mm-08 path. I'd love to hear from them myself, it was the caliber I originally was going for but ammo costs and not being as popular in gunshops ( the ammo ) is 1 reason I went for a 308.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by North East » 21 Oct 2014, 8:49 pm

I went from a .308 to a .30-06…more grunt with 180gn projectiles…don't regret it and would never go back.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 22 Oct 2014, 8:24 am

subatom wrote:Not to repeat this same old argument with which is better on paper.

To the 7mm-08 shooters here, did any of you go from a .308 to your 7mm because of the usual arguments?

Yep, I went to 7/08 and have recently gone back to .308. For me it is a bit of an autistic child.

To be honest in the longer range, paper punching, internet hunter world the 7/08 ****** all over the .308.

Reality? Well the .308 does 95% of hunting just as well and cheaper than a 7/08. The 5% it lags isn't noticed by most.

But then again I am a bit old fashioned, when shooting on cull tags earlier this year I dragged out the .303 and it didn't let me down. So I am not fazed by shooting calibres with rainbow trajectories(which I was recently told by a young hunter is why the .308 is no good as a hunting calibre) and if the bullet is going to fall on my toes(like some experts would have you believe if you don't shoot the latest and greatest) then I wear steel caps so i am protected.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tiiger » 22 Oct 2014, 10:05 am

MeccaOz wrote:ammo costs and not being as popular in gunshops ( the ammo ) is 1 reason I went for a 308.

Reloading the price is the same as .308.

Factory ammo prices though :?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 22 Oct 2014, 10:30 am

Tiiger wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:ammo costs and not being as popular in gunshops ( the ammo ) is 1 reason I went for a 308.

Reloading the price is the same as .308.

Factory ammo prices though :?

As long as you bulk buy and don't want anything in a hurry, .30 cal projectiles are everywhere and cheap, not so much with the others.

Don't get me wrong 7/08 is still a good calibre.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 22 Oct 2014, 10:43 am

subatom wrote:To the 7mm-08 shooters here, did any of you go from a .308 to your 7mm because of the usual arguments?

I did, from my .308 Ruger Hawkeye to 7mm-08 Tikka Hunter for "the usual" arguments and a few more.

I needed a second deer legal rifle, I wasn't desperate to replace the .308 because I hated it for any reason. But went with a 7mm instead of another .308 because...

1) I wanted more accuracy, for hunting but also for fun target shooting out to 500m. I would say the Tikka is inherently more accurate than the Ruger as well, but the improve ballistics of the 7mm-08 weighed in a little here.

2) Less recoil - Sambar hunting etc. where you might only fire a few shots with the .308 is fine, but I don't enjoy shooting for extended periods. 150gr bullets and up shot well in my .308 so I was required to use those weights and corresponding recoil.

In my 7mm I load 140gr for deer and 120gr for vamints and small game. The 140gr loads are marginally less recoil than my .308 loads, but the 120gr is very friendly and I can shoot it all day without any discomfort.

I still have the Ruger as a backup or for friends to use at the range or whatever, but the 7mm Tikka is my go-to rifle.

subatom wrote:More pointedly, was it worth it once you'd done it?

Yes. Not that I expect to buy another hunting rifle but if I was forced to replace my Tikka for some reason, damage etc., it would be with another 7mm-08. I wouldn't get a .308 again.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 22 Oct 2014, 10:48 am

Warrigul wrote:As long as you bulk buy and don't want anything in a hurry, .30 cal projectiles are everywhere and cheap, not so much with the others.

I reload so the cost is the same as it would be for .308, but ammo availability is an issue, that's for sure.

I buy up all the 120gr and 140gr Ballistic tips when I see them in store. If I'm lucky I might get 5-6 boxes if they've recently come in and I beat other shooters there. It can be 2-3 months between this though if I don't special order.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 22 Oct 2014, 10:51 am

Warrigul wrote:So I am not fazed by shooting calibres with rainbow trajectories (which I was recently told by a young hunter is why the .308 is no good as a hunting calibre)

Probably a "hunter" as far as he's bought a rifle... His "experience" probably ends there.

I wonder if he's actually stepped out into the bush with it yet...
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Warrigul » 22 Oct 2014, 11:11 am

Yep it works, I had an obligation to his family to fill so helped him get his first deer this year. He is full of BS but he'll learn, no point in trying to correct him(unless it is to do with safety) he will come around in good time. He knows the basics now so can explore on his own.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by MeccaOz » 22 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

Warrigul wrote:Yep, I went to 7/08 and have recently gone back to .308. For me it is a bit of an autistic child.

To be honest in the longer range, paper punching, internet hunter world the 7/08 ****** all over the .308.

Reality? Well the .308 does 95% of hunting just as well and cheaper than a 7/08. The 5% it lags isn't noticed by most.

But then again I am a bit old fashioned, when shooting on cull tags earlier this year I dragged out the .303 and it didn't let me down. So I am not fazed by shooting calibres with rainbow trajectories(which I was recently told by a young hunter is why the .308 is no good as a hunting calibre) and if the bullet is going to fall on my toes(like some experts would have you believe if you don't shoot the latest and greatest) then I wear steel caps so i am protected.

LOL sometimes you just have to grit your teeth dont ya... It would seem unless you have the latest and greatest caliber, you couldnt even take a bunny at 50 yards with a 308 lol

** EDIT

I know blokes who still shoot the 303 as their main do everything gun. Are there more "efficient cartridges around", yes ! Will the 303 do the job yes. Why would these guys change ? they know how to use their gun/cartridge. They know range/holdover, they know what it and they can do and there happy doing so. They can prolly outshoot alot of people in the hunting world, the cartridge may be losing ground but that doesnt mean it's s**t, just means other cartridges have come along.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by inventurkey » 23 Oct 2014, 1:23 pm

You could take him.

Just not home. Soup. :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 23 Oct 2014, 2:47 pm

subatom wrote:Not to repeat this same old argument with which is better on paper.

I'm not sure what "the usual arguments" are or what you plan on using it for.

The 7-08 is designed specifically for metallic silhouette not for hunting. Yes it makes a good hunting cartridge but IMHO no better than .308, 6.5x55 or any other cartridge in that class of cartridge.

What it does well is knock down steel plates at ranges over 300m. Why? Because it can shoot the same weight bullets as .308 but with less wind drift and more energy (over 300m)

You ask for replies from people who have gone from .308 to 7-08. I didn't reply because I didn't. I went from .223 for 100-300m target shooting to 7-08 specifically for centerfire metallic silhouette. It's the cartridge of choice because that's what it was designed for. If you're shooting paper as you say unless you're shooting beyond 500m I'd say there is little advantage going to 7-08. More drop from the .308 easily can be accounted for but you'll get more wind drift with the .308 and that could mean worse scores at the end of the day. For under 300m is say stick with a .223 ;)

However when I was looking for a hunting gun I went for a .308 even though it meant buying dies. The reason is simple. Both factory .308 ammo and reloading components are available in every gun shop. bullets are normally cheaper and factory ammo is ALWAYS much cheaper than 7/08 and that makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

There's some really good reading on the 7-08 around but take the "pro's" of the round with a grain of salt. Yes it has less drop and wind drift than the .308.....but more than the .243 :lol:

This is probably the best write up

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... ngton.html

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 23 Oct 2014, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the link Chronos, that was a good read mate.

I also think you nailed it about the factory and shooting discipline aspects of it.

In my humble opinion anyways :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by North East » 23 Oct 2014, 3:25 pm

These old caliber debates for hunting have been around for ever and will probably go on for another 100 years.

It's like the old "should I get a .270, .308 or a .30-06?" question. Damned if I know…they all do the job, just a matter of preference. I prefer the .30-06 though.

But a 7-08 does the job as well as does a heap of other calibers.

Then you go to bench rest and the 6mm BR crowd chime in.

It never ends but it's a good laugh.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 23 Oct 2014, 3:29 pm

North East wrote:These old caliber debates for hunting have been around for ever and will probably go on for another 100 years.

It's like the old "should I get a .270, .308 or a .30-06?" question. Damned if I know…they all do the job, just a matter of preference. I prefer the .30-06 though.

but you forgot the .260, don't you know it does everything the old 6.5X55 sweede can do.....but..err...with a different name :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Calamity Jen » 23 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

Chronos wrote:

I'm not sure what "the usual arguments" are or what you plan on using it for.

The 7-08 is designed specifically for metallic silhouette not for hunting. Yes it makes a good hunting cartridge but IMHO no better than .308, 6.5x55 or any other cartridge in that class of cartridge.

What it does well is knock down steel plates at ranges over 300m. Why? Because it can shoot the same weight bullets as .308 but with less wind drift and more energy (over 300m)

You ask for replies from people who have gone from .308 to 7-08. I didn't reply because I didn't. I went from .223 for 100-300m target shooting to 7-08 specifically for centerfire metallic silhouette. It's the cartridge of choice because that's what it was designed for. If you're shooting paper as you say unless you're shooting beyond 500m I'd say there is little advantage going to 7-08. More drop from the .308 easily can be accounted for but you'll get more wind drift with the .308 and that could mean worse scores at the end of the day. For under 300m is say stick with a .223 ;)

However when I was looking for a hunting gun I went for a .308 even though it meant buying dies. The reason is simple. Both factory .308 ammo and reloading components are available in every gun shop. bullets are normally cheaper and factory ammo is ALWAYS much cheaper than 7/08 and that makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

There's some really good reading on the 7-08 around but take the "pro's" of the round with a grain of salt. Yes it has less drop and wind drift than the .308.....but more than the .243 :lol:

This is probably the best write up

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... ngton.html

Chronos
Edited to say: This is great info. Just what I was after. Thanks! (not sure what happened to my reply saying this first time around) LOL
Last edited by Calamity Jen on 24 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 23 Oct 2014, 5:30 pm

North East wrote:These old caliber debates for hunting have been around for ever and will probably go on for another 100 years.

You know if I go for a drive down the valley and I have cull tags or it is one of the two deer seasons we have and I am helping someone I usually throw the dirty old .303 in the back, I have numerous other calibres and even two .243s but the .303 sits comfortably and has done so on and off since I was 14, 30 plus years.

I have a mate with an early Winchester model 70 30/06 that his grandfather handed down, at half a dozen shots a year it will serve his kids just as well as it has done him, his father and grandfather.

You need to change to progress but sometimes it really isn't neccesary as long as there is still food on the table, the ones that have gotten away have usually been my fault not the firearm's. There's something profound in that statement.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 23 Oct 2014, 9:16 pm

Warrigul wrote:I have a mate with an early Winchester model 70 30/06 that his grandfather handed down, at half a dozen shots a year it will serve his kids just as well as it has done him, his father and grandfather.

And the old battle horse will keep on going.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2014, 7:47 am

Hey, north east. Have you joined the "to be sure to be sure club" You are repeating like me. ;)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2014, 7:51 am

Repeated it again lol. But have deleted it. Lol correction, will try to delete it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 24 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

Should be an [X] icon on your post if you need to delete a dupe Oldbloke.

(did this one anyway)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by MrClark » 01 Nov 2014, 7:29 pm

300 or 7mm mag, .30-06 or .270, 308 or 7mm-08,
Same same but different. All good fun haha personal preference in the end i guess,

Get both
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Browning » 01 Nov 2014, 9:08 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I know there are a few guys here that have gone down the 7mm-08 path. I'd love to hear from them myself, it was the caliber I originally was going for but ammo costs and not being as popular in gunshops ( the ammo ) is 1 reason I went for a 308.

Just did the EXACT same thing.. Ended up with Tikka T3 in the hunter s/s fluted.. Same reasons as well
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics