13mm Gyrojet

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

13mm Gyrojet

Post by Joom » 27 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

Came across these in one of the other topics and thought they were worth a mention.

The Gyrojet is a family of unique firearms developed in the 1960s named for the method of gyroscopically stabilizing its projectiles. Rather than inert bullets, Gyrojets fire small rockets called Microjets which have little recoil and do not require a heavy barrel to resist the pressure of the combustion gases. Velocity on leaving the tube was very low, but increased to around 1,250 feet per second (380 m/s) at 30 feet (9.1 m). The result is a very lightweight weapon.

Long out of production, today they are a coveted collector's item with prices for even the most common model ranging above $1,000. They are, however, rarely fired; ammunition, when available at all, can cost over $100 per round.

The inherent difference between a conventional firearm and a rocket is that the projectile of a conventional firearm builds up to its maximum speed in the barrel of the firearm, then slows down over its trajectory; the rocket continues to accelerate as long as the fuel burns, then continues its flight like an un-powered bullet. A bullet has maximum kinetic energy at the muzzle; a rocket has maximum kinetic energy immediately after its fuel is expended. The burn time for a Gyrojet rocket has been reported as 1/10 of a second by a Bathroom Reader's Institute book and as 0.12 seconds by "The 'DeathWind' Project."

A firearm's rifled barrel must be manufactured to high precision and be capable of withstanding extremely high pressures; it is subject to significant wear in use. The Gyrojet rocket is fired through a simple straight, smooth-walled tube of no great strength.

13mm_gyrojet.jpg
13mm_gyrojet.jpg (49.34 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

13mm_gyrojet-2.jpg
13mm_gyrojet-2.jpg (52.56 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

It didn't work so good, but interesting anyway :)

(Info from Wiki)
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 13mm Gyrojet

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Oct 2014, 7:46 pm

Thanks Joom, I find all this stuff interesting. I guess Im just a "Gun Nut" lol
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tiiger » 28 Oct 2014, 10:26 am

Essentially trying to scale down a missile.

Cool thinking, just not enough space to get it all in a bullet I guess.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sha » 28 Oct 2014, 3:24 pm

Seriously lightweight looking rifle on the bottom there.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 28 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Well it was the '60s! It was probably developed by "men who stare at goats" I reckon!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 29 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

Interesting idea, but...

Weight retention and energy must be awful though. Like getting hit with a peanut shell looking at that last image of the bullet.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by steyroy » 30 Oct 2014, 4:28 pm

Seems like a firework more than a bullet :lol:
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit