Share some info on less popular rifle chamberings

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Share some info on less popular rifle chamberings

Post by Carter » 03 Nov 2014, 9:40 am

Just sharing some thoughts here.

I'd be surprised if anyone's experience of gun shops and "recommended" cartridges is much different to mine.

My thought being that with all the possible options, there's only about a dozen that ever get a mention.

If you want a rifle for varmints the first think you'll get told is 22lr, 22mag or more recently 17hmr. Maybe .223 Rem.

If you want a target rifle the first thing you'll get told is either .223 Rem or .308 Win. 300 Win Mag if you want to shoot "long range".

If you want a hunting rifle they'll tell you .243, 270 or .308. Maybe 30-06 Springfield or .300 Win Mag if you're just after larger game.

If you want a lever action it's probably going to be 30-30, .357 mag or .44 mag.

There might be a few others dotted here and there but you get the idea. There is nothing wrong with any of the above of course, just there is some much more out there that doesn't get much time. Without already being a reasonably experienced shooter I dunno where first timers are expected to pick up any of this info, as shops aren't forthcoming with it.

There are plenty of plenty of others that would be just as good if not better than some of the common options, or have some nostalgic to them, or whatever... Just something different for fun. Off the top of my head and in no particular order...

• .204 Ruger
  • .220 Swift
  • .224 Weatherby Magnum
  • 25/20 Winchester
  • .25-06 Remington
  • .257 Robert
  • .257 Weatherby Magnum
  • 6mm BR
  • 6.5mm Grendel
  • 6.5x55 Swedish
  • 7×57mm Mauser
  • .310 Cadet
  • .375 Winchester
  • .45-70 Government
  • .30-40 Krag
  • 8x57 Mauser
  • .35 Whelen
  • 9.3x62mm

Can anyone tell me they've had a shop recommend any of the above to them for anything, over the usual dozen?
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Share some info on less popular rifle chamberings

Post by Warrigul » 03 Nov 2014, 10:19 am

Carter wrote:Can anyone tell me they've had a shop recommend any of the above to them for anything, over the usual dozen?

I walk into a couple of gun shops and their eyes light up and off they scurry to drag out the latest wierd calibre or firearm they have come across- I have a long history of collecting the unusual(and often useless).

Honestly, most gun shops follow fads as that is what sells.

I have decided that an 8 x 57 running 150 grainers at around 2900fps would satisfy most needs I may have for a hunting rifle but no one is going to recommend it as it isn't high in the marketplace.

Gunshop owners are in it to make money.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tiiger » 03 Nov 2014, 12:26 pm

Warrigul wrote:Gunshop owners are in it to make money.

Same as any business, better to sell you what they have in stock then and there than try and get you back later for something a bit different.

It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy or loop in keeping these things popular.

.308 is popular and ammo is in demand
Because it's popular the brands make plenty of rifles and ammo for it and it's always in stock.
Because it's in stock people buy it.
Back around to being popular again.

Different rounds could rise or fall through the ranks with enough change in buying habits from shooters. Theoretically anyway.

As those calibers do the job though there isn't really any compelling reason for people to choose something less popular.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 03 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HEY LETS GET BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!!!!!!!! :| :| :|
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 03 Nov 2014, 9:34 pm

I was looking for a new rifle about two years ago and I was gonna get a .223 when the owner brought out his .204 that he hadn't used much due to it being very heavy and he wanted it as a walkabout rifle. I was curious about .204 before he offered me the rifle so I decided to go for it. I've got to say that it's been the best rifle that I've ever used and it's dropped hundreds of foxes and rabbits in the time I've had it. I highly recommend the .204 to anyone looking for a accurate and effective pest control calibre :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 7:18 am

Thanks nuke Bomb the more I hear read and see of this cal the more I like it!!!!! Marky V has had one for sometime and raves about it but I dismissed him as a idiot!!! :lol: :lol: :D Turns out this old fart might be the Idiot!!!!! :oops: :o :oops: Not sure I'm changing my 223 for one though :?: :?: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mausermate » 04 Nov 2014, 8:00 am

Carter wrote:
Can anyone tell me they've had a shop recommend any of the above to them for anything, over the usual dozen?

I have a number of those Chamberings in rifles. 25/05, 257 Rob, 7x57, 6.5x55, 220 swift and a lot more before I am through. Most recommended by dealers. I recon it's just about who the dealer is.

Yes, we know that the big sellers are Black guns in 223 or 308 and they are the bread and butter of most shops at the moment but good Shop owners only have to listen to their customers and work out that not everyone wants one of those.

I use three shops at moment and the owners and staff are fantastic. I have got to know them and they have got to know me. They know I am not interested in a black gun or any mainstream cartridge and never point me in that direction.

I can remember walking into a shop a fair while ago, wandered around, picked up a few bits and asked the shop owner if he had and Weatherby Mark V's in stock? he said "grumble...you mean Mark five, no, never sold one, what the hell would you want one of those for? grumble grumble". I shook my head, put the items back on his bench and walked out.

Anyway, my point is that some dealers are enthusiasts and I shop where they are. Get out of the mainstream and into the not so normal and you will find a whole new world out there. Certainly very grateful to a couple of shop owners for pointing me in the that direction.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 8:04 am

I like Black and timber and green and chrome and stainless and Laminate and well you get the picture!!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 04 Nov 2014, 8:26 am

I find it somewhat amusing when a prospective enters a gunshop and starts the 100 question, what make.. what model.... oh it comes in 17 chamberings. this for that,, that for this...... Of course theyre going to recommend whats in stock... Theyre not there as a hunters/shooters community service :lol:

When shopping for a new firearm, (my own) Rule number 1 is to do the shopping BEFORE entering the store. Know what you want, there is plenty more info available on the net compared to the dealers head....

What do you mean by less popular, least sold or least known? The least popular, not through ineffectiveness would probably be the moderate to big boomers...mags and supermags....
Then of course those new chambering, the solutions that were looking for problems like the short mags.... and the shorty AR15 system chambering that we really dont need, but guys buy because theyre the newest thing...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 04 Nov 2014, 9:25 am

Westy wrote:HEY LETS GET BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!!!!!!!! :| :| :|

So's your face. How's that for on topic? :P
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by chookah » 04 Nov 2014, 9:26 am

Er, I think that's still officially off it :lol:
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 04 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

mausermate wrote:Anyway, my point is that some dealers are enthusiasts and I shop where they are.

Enthusiasts... and fan boys.

I got introduced to the 7mm through one of the guys at my local who's mad for them. Anyone who asks for a hunting caliber, he recommends 7mm-08 all day every day :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Carter wrote:Can anyone tell me they've had a shop recommend any of the above to them for anything, over the usual dozen?

I walk into a couple of gun shops and their eyes light up and off they scurry to drag out the latest wierd calibre or firearm they have come across- I have a long history of collecting the unusual(and often useless).

Honestly, most gun shops follow fads as that is what sells.

I have decided that an 8 x 57 running 150 grainers at around 2900fps would satisfy most needs I may have for a hunting rifle but no one is going to recommend it as it isn't high in the marketplace.

Gunshop owners are in it to make money.

Just for the record books, I spent the morning out at the range playing and the most accurate 150 grain crimped loads out of my 8 x 57 using 2206H chronographed at the following:

2055( I will call this one an anomaly, no idea why it happens but it does occaisonally)
This was my max load and I only had five to test, they went in to a one inch circle drawn with texta.

Pretty good for a cartridge originating in the 1880's, there were no signs of excess pressure and the case head didn't expand, but there was no room left in the case so this will do.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 04 Nov 2014, 1:50 pm

Only limited by case volume huh.... thats some velocity out of the old girl... for a 150grainer its 10% or so up on a 308 & -06 and knocking on the 300win mags door....
Good stuff,
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

1290 wrote:Only limited by case volume huh.... thats some velocity out of the old girl... for a 150grainer its 10% or so up on a 308 & -06 and knocking on the 300win mags door....
Good stuff,

It is quite astounding and about 100fps better than ever expected.

I've always looked at the 8 x 57 and thought it had so much potential. Bigger bore size has a bit to do with it as well I feel. But I doubt I will ever put it to full use.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

Tiiger wrote:
Westy wrote:HEY LETS GET BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!!!!!!!! :| :| :|

So's your face. How's that for on topic? :P

WTF????? No Serious WTF?????

Hey Warrigal that old girl sounds like a keeper!!!!! :D :D :D
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 05 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

Confusion... My work here is done :P
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 05 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Warrigul wrote:3085
2055( I will call this one an anomaly, no idea why it happens but it does occaisonally)

You'll have thought of this already of course, but powder measure issues? What are you measuring with out of curiosity?

I'd be interested to know the cause.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 06 Nov 2014, 8:03 am

Korkt wrote:
Warrigul wrote:3085

You'll have thought of this already of course, but powder measure issues? What are you measuring with out of curiosity?

he's using a copper crusher gauge with a specially modified Mauser action.... calibration and analysis of results should be done soon, results in CUP to follow shortly....
Seriously though, he did describe a visual check for pressure and I sense he's done it before and all......
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 06 Nov 2014, 9:51 am

Korkt wrote:You'll have thought of this already of course, but powder measure issues? What are you measuring with out of curiosity?

Nah the chronograph is very old and occaisionally has a hiccup 1000fps is too much for it to be real so the anomaly is with the old girl. I roughly measure out of the powder thrower(LEE) and trickle up to weight using an Ohaus 10/10 bedded into a Besser block with silicone and breeze guards

I would love a pressure measuring setup 1290 but have to rely on crushed primers and measuring cartridge bases, the same as yourself and most of us garage reloaders. Having seen the results of overloads, next to me,I usually err on the side of caution.

I am going to see if I can repeat this result at the weekend, the powder used was very old 2206h, I am going to see what happens with some newer stuff.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Korkt » 06 Nov 2014, 10:47 am

Ah, chrono problems eh.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Timb0 » 06 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

So speaking of less popular cartridges. Anyone use 35 remington?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 06 Nov 2014, 3:54 pm

Timb0 wrote:So speaking of less popular cartridges. Anyone use 35 remington?

Nope, but I have held a model 8 in that calibre.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Timb0 » 06 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

What did you think?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 06 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

Timb0 wrote:So speaking of less popular cartridges. Anyone use 35 remington?

Have used, yep. Had a few rounds with a Marlin 336 chamber in .35 Rem.

Standard medium range hunting round I'd really I'd say, just more power than more popular options like 30-30 with the heavier pills.

I think but don't quote me on this, it's the last rimless cartridge Remington do? I did wonder if they weren't just hanging onto it for the sake of having one in the market.

No complaints though, just thoughts.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 06 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

Timb0 wrote:What did you think?

It had,,, authority.... I only got to play with it for a few minutes as it was on its way to destruction.

Unfortunately a semi auto used by law enforcement in a police/military calibre is technically a prohibited firearm in TAS. Not a category D but prohibited.

Still, I got to hold a model of rifle that was supposed to have killed Bonnie and Clyde. Now that is history.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Timb0 » 06 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

Yeah,that's interesting.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 06 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

35Rem? pfffft, any 35cal in a chambering less than an STA is just mucking around... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Skadoo » 07 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

.358 STA?

Planning a trip to Africa 1290 :D
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics