Making THE best bullet (just for fun)

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Making THE best bullet (just for fun)

Post by fuggle » 14 Nov 2014, 9:08 am

Just for fun, not serious about this one and suspect a bit of forum-jockey stuff to ensue :lol:

Bullets are designed for one thing.... match bullets are no good for hunting, hunting bullets aren't super accurate and the rest. Lead is easy to work, copper is soft on the barrel so we use those materials and all the rest of it.

If money and equipment cost / life was no issue though and you were trying to make the 1 BEST bullet for everything, what would it be?

Far out ideas welcome, just has to be within the realm of possibility.
Howa Sporter in .308
Howa Varminter in .223 ( best rifle ever )
fuggle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Making THE best bullet (just for fun)

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2014, 9:26 am

Berger VLD hunting. Job done.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 14 Nov 2014, 9:40 am

Chronos wrote:Berger VLD hunting. Job done.

Chronos

+1 really great projectile
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 14 Nov 2014, 10:17 am

I'll play...

Tungsten bullet
Solid projectile
Match hollow point boat tail style
X-shaped internal cavity like the Barnes TSX.

Drop a 170gr into a 7mm Rem Mag or similar, I reckon that would take just about anything at any distance you could hit it at. Paper or dinner.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 14 Nov 2014, 10:26 am

Most of you assumptions are wrong. There is no one single bullet design that can do everything it's just not possible due to the hundreds of variables in how bullets are commonly used. Even if you tried you would still only end up with a bullet that suited a limited role.

The notion that a hunting bullet can't be as group accurate at short range as a match bullet is false. How accurate they are is a function of the precision of manufacture and quality of the gun and shooter. Long range trajectory performance is a different kettle of fish and comparing a high BC bullet to a lower one usually means the higher BC shoots better with all other things being equal which they seldom are.

It's like saying I want to build a car that will do everything a vehicle can possibly do.

You can get good hunting bullets for a certain job that shoot well and as mentioned above Berger VLD hunting bullet is one but they still have their limits.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by artimu » 14 Nov 2014, 1:28 pm

He did say this was just about fun, Jack.

Take the serious hat off for a few minutes :P
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by keen » 14 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

It was posted here a while ago...

That .50cal computer guided bullet they made. Mark the target, shoot roughly in the direct and it'll correct itself.

I need all the help I can get :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Chronos

Bergers very hard to beat!!!!Full stop X 2 Chronos!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 14 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

artimu wrote:He did say this was just about fun, Jack.

Take the serious hat off for a few minutes :P

Who said I was not having fun ?
Last edited by Jack V on 14 Nov 2014, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 14 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

keen wrote:It was posted here a while ago...

That .50cal computer guided bullet they made. Mark the target, shoot roughly in the direct and it'll correct itself.

I need all the help I can get :lol:

It's not a gyroscopically stabilised bullet though , it's a fin stabilised from a smooth bore but still very interesting .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 14 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

I think what you need is a precision made double jacketed H type mantel jacket with precision double swaged cores , base core bonded and ogive core unbonded . 8 degree rebated boat tail and 10 calibre Hybrid Tangent to Secant ogive , VLD design with precision turned titanium ballistic tip .
This would give a solid base section to push through hard targets and a softer ogive section to expand somewhat on softer targets . High BC to shoot flatter and assist group accuracy coming from precision weight and jacket concentricity . Made in super accurate Tungsten dies made by the ghost of Stanley Arthur Smith .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 14 Nov 2014, 5:57 pm

gold bullet with a diamond tip,lubed with the tears of hunters that have missed that shot of a lifetime and for the bullet proof critters (read sambar) hardened with the hard headed ideas of the anti's,made by nubile naked hunting partners(do you like my body?westy :lol: ) killed with a kiss :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by mausermate » 14 Nov 2014, 6:10 pm

Chronos

I have a box of Target VLD. Never used Berger. Saw them in a shop and bought them but never used. 168 gr 7mm. What's the difference?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 14 Nov 2014, 6:47 pm

tom604 wrote:gold bullet with a diamond tip,lubed with the tears of hunters that have missed that shot of a lifetime and for the bullet proof critters (read sambar) hardened with the hard headed ideas of the anti's,made by nubile naked hunting partners(do you like my body?westy :lol: ) killed with a kiss :lol:
They never did find that nice body!!!!!!! :evil: :shock: :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2014, 6:54 pm

mausermate wrote:

Chronos

I have a box of Target VLD. Never used Berger. Saw them in a shop and bought them but never used. 168 gr 7mm. What's the difference?

All shot with a 168gr 7mm VLD hunting (from their webpage)

from what i can gather the Berger vld hunting has the same external dimensions as the VLD target bullet (probably so they can use the same forming dies) but with a thinner jacket to aid performance on game

http://www.bergerbullets.com/information/line-and-designs/

TARGET BULLETS
Target bullet line is made up of the many legendary bullets that have been winning matches and setting records for decades. Berger Bullets was started because Walt Berger wanted better results while competing in target shooting matches. Making Match Grade bullets for target competition shooters is our core competency. All of our success as the producer of consistent bullets for Varmint, Target and Hunting stems from the efforts we have made to produce the best bullets available for the extreme, precision focused, target competition shooter. There is a tremendous amount of pride knowing that we make a product that competition shooters all over the world trust when they go to the firing line. There is no better test of a bullets quality than to be used in a match where everyone is shooting to win. As competition shooters ourselves we understand all the tough challenges and considerable effort it take to be an active target competition shooter. It is our thorough understanding of this effort that heavily influences all the bullets we make.

HUNTING BULLETS
The Hunting bullet line is proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullets available. All of our Hunting bullets are made in the VLD or Hybrid designs. These designs incorporate a sharp nose and slightly thinner jacket that allows the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3” before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13” to 15” long. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Our bullets don’t poke through like an arrow (high weight retention, deep penetration bullets) but instead dump their energy where it is most effective, inside the animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot. You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger Hunting VLD will be on your next hunt. To order a free 30 minute video that provides more detail on the bullets, cartridge and velocity used to take several animals at a variety of ranges call 714-441-7200.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by mausermate » 14 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

Chronos wrote:All shot with a 168gr 7mm VLD hunting (from their webpage)

Thanks for that Chronos, sorry I did the post on my phone and didn't explain very well. I was hoping you might give a personal experience appraisal on the differences and why you think the Berger VLD Hunting are so good in AUS. Always looking for a good bullet to try :)
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 15 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

So some people can be all serious buy not me .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 15 Nov 2014, 10:03 am

mausermate wrote:Thanks for that Chronos, sorry I did the post on my phone and didn't explain very well. I was hoping you might give a personal experience appraisal on the differences and why you think the Berger VLD Hunting are so good in AUS. Always looking for a good bullet to try :)

Sorry mate I didn't get your question.

No I don't have any experience hunting with the bergers but my experience with their target bullets on paper is they are good value for money and their quality and consistency is as close as you'll get to a custom bullet as you'll get.

As with anything only when you've used them as intended can you assess their suitability.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 15 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

I have used Bergers but that would be a serious reply .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 15 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

Jack V wrote:I have used Bergers but that would be a serious reply .
Jack V wrote:So some people can be all serious buy not me .

Didn't get that daily dose of forum attention?

In regards to the perfect bullet, whatever is half decent and affordable :)
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by artimu » 16 Nov 2014, 7:38 am

Jack V wrote:Who said I was not having fun ?

We convened a committee of advisers to check, the vote came back no :lol:
artimu
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jack V » 16 Nov 2014, 8:04 am

WesleySnipes wrote:
Jack V wrote:I have used Bergers but that would be a serious reply .
Jack V wrote:So some people can be all serious buy not me .

Didn't get that daily dose of forum attention?

In regards to the perfect bullet, whatever is half decent and affordable :)

That can't be the real Wesley Snipes surely ? No I got too much attention :lol:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics