The curviest cartridge you'll use

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

The curviest cartridge you'll use

Post by rummer » 02 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

Flip side to the usual conversation here.

Everyone like a flat shooting cartridge and people are often buying calibres and doing heavy loads to try and get Mach 3 out of the thing and shoot along a laser beam.

So flip side... What's the curviest you'll still use? And what are you using it for.
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: The curviest cartridge you'll use

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Dec 2014, 4:13 pm

My bendiest round is my.22 Air rifle, its handy to use on rabbits and problem birds in the yard when you dont want to make too much noise.

Followed by my next loopiest round is the .22 LR wich is great on the rabbits and only costs 3 cents per shot. I would upgrade it to 17hmr to fatten my shots out but can't justify the cost of hmr ammo.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 02 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

hey unicycle,
3c per 22lr round...what ammo and in what bulk ammount do you need to buy to get it that cheap?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Norton » 02 Dec 2014, 7:36 pm

Print off a trajectory table and a curvy round is easy enough to use.

The .416 lobs them out... Sight in for 200m and you're about 1" high at 50m, 2" high at 100.

Hardly complex numbers to remember, and I'd never shoot further than that. Not with old Bessie anyway.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Westy » 02 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm

300 aac with 210 bergers just like using a compound!!!!!! LMAO But Shhhhhhhhh don't tell any one!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Dec 2014, 7:55 pm

KWhorenet wrote:hey unicycle,
3c per 22lr round...what ammo and in what bulk ammount do you need to buy to get it that cheap?

Im using Whinchester power point, packs of 500 and looking at my last receipt they are $60 bucks per box so thats 12 cents per shot :shock: s**t I've been working on 1960's prices or something? Lol perhaps those 17hmr rounds aren't so expensive after all !
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

My 22 HW80 Weihrauch would be mine I guess, then the 22LR.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 02 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

Took the 44 out to a range and was lobbing shots at 300m and aiming way above the target we are talking meters here haha was about a 3m diameter group with next to no wind.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Dec 2014, 9:40 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Took the 44 out to a range and was lobbing shots at 300m and aiming way above the target we are talking meters here haha was about a 3m diameter group with next to no wind.

:lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 03 Dec 2014, 7:47 am

When we're shooting our 600 yard buffalo gong at the club range with black powder fuelled .45-70's, .45-90's, .45-110's, .40-65's the barrels are pointed up in the air like howitzers and the bullet drop is measured in yards.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 03 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

Nowadays would have to be 22lr subs.
Watching the pil's lob all the way to target reminds me of my old springer air rifle.

How loopy are 12g slugs from an average charge?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Mich » 03 Dec 2014, 9:06 am

Flat shooting is nice, but if we're being honest... Makes bugger all difference in 99% cases, despite how much people carry on and cry about it.

Makes no difference at all for target shooting. Once you're sighted in the target isn't going to back up on you is it.

For hunting, any small to medium size cartridge is pretty similar really..... .223, .220 Swift, .243, .25-06, .260, .270, .284, .308, .30-06, 300 WM...... zeroed at 100yard they all have 2" - 6" drop or whatever at 200yard. If you can use any of those, you can use all the rest, it's not rocked science to aim 3" or 4" higher if you swap rifles.

Same story with rimfire at 50m-100m.

Shooting 350gr - 500gr out of old big game cartridges and black powder cartridges over long distance like Norton could or Noisy does is the only place it gets difficult. And you'd know that going in if you were buying such a rifle.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 03 Dec 2014, 11:54 am

50BMG indirect fire demonstration on YouTube is quite interesting and shows that you can hit targets that are not directly visible. Some good shots with tracer ammo as well that show the curve of the round. On a few occasions I've been able to "See" the rounds trajectory over longer distances when shooting my half inch. Even a few week back at St Marys Chronos put a few through the .375 Cheytac and I could "See" the round travel down range even over 50m. Was more likely the vapour trail but was still cool to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puz8MeTxvpw
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 03 Dec 2014, 1:04 pm

A mate of mine said in his training they were taught to watch the 'trace' when shooting at longer ranges, which isnt the pill but the shock wave or disturbance buffering of the air, or even as you put it depending on conditions, maybe a vapor trail?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by joojoobeans » 03 Dec 2014, 1:48 pm

brett1868 wrote:50BMG indirect fire demonstration on YouTube is quite interesting

At about 45 seconds... Very cool seeing the round arcing to the target.
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Westy » 03 Dec 2014, 2:43 pm

Still shooting centre of mass WoW !!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 03 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

brett1868 wrote:Even a few week back at St Marys Chronos put a few through the .375 Cheytac and I could "See" the round travel down range even over 50m. Was more likely the vapour trail but was still cool to see.

I think I see that with my 22 as well.

You sometimes catch a glimpse or a glimmer of something rocket down.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Dec 2014, 5:18 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If your shooting subs in your .22 your seeing the projectile at 100 as it passes the target face more than likely !!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Dec 2014, 5:39 am

3 young bunnies didnt see the subs fly out back verandah this morning. Rotty will be happy...when the lazy bugger gets up that is.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Westy » 04 Dec 2014, 6:20 am

Now that's funny K!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 04 Dec 2014, 9:12 am

KWhorenet wrote:3 young bunnies didnt see the subs fly out back verandah this morning. Rotty will be happy...when the lazy bugger gets up that is.

How old is he KW?

My pup was up at 3:30 this morning.

f***ing puppies :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm

:lol: The curviest one I've ever fired was a 1" mortar - now that's a real curve! :lol: :roll:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Dec 2014, 4:54 pm

My Rotty is 7.

He used to wake me @ 0630 by muzzle punching me in the face. Now he sleeps in till 0900.

I was up at 0430 sneaking around having breaky and peeping out my kitchen window for the bastards that chewed the bottom limbs and bark from my new apricot trees.

He's keen if he hears a bolt, lever or magazine being fed. 50 kg but agile enough to have caught 2 fleeting bunnies.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Dec 2014, 4:57 pm

Last little noob unedumacated bunny seen in my profile pic was the one that lived under my bedroom window.

Was in a piece of downpipe cutoff, picked it up and it fell out so he bagged it.

It may have been a bit in shock but a kill nonetheless.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 05 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

Dinner is dinner ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2014, 7:44 am

RealNick wrote:I think I see that with my 22 as well.

You sometimes catch a glimpse or a glimmer of something rocket down.

You can do this with target loads from a pistol too. If you look from the correct angle and focus a couple feet in front of the muzzle you'll see the projectile go past.

9mm would be my curviest cartridge but that's mainly because of how down loaded they are. With some of the loads we use there's a distinct gap between the shot and the sound of it hitting the plate 25 yards away
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 05 Dec 2014, 2:38 pm

Just take practice to learn the arc.

It doesn't change... If a shooter misses it's because he misjudged the arc, not because the arc was unusable.

You can use anything, once you learn it.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Col » 26 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Nowadays would have to be 22lr subs.
Watching the pil's lob all the way to target reminds me of my old springer air rifle.

How loopy are 12g slugs from an average charge?

K

Have used 12g slugs and they drop 8" at 100 yds. So a fair bit of hold over. Still hit hard if you can hit the critter.

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 26 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

I've never shot slugs. Have a mate who's bringing his 12g and all manner of artillery down here later this year. Will have to word him up to bring the slugs for a crack.

After missing a stationary side on fallow buck from all of 10m the other day, I don't think droopy ballistics is my problem... :oops:
I think stage fright got me.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by 6mmdasher » 26 Apr 2015, 8:11 pm

I have been playing around with 12,14 x 44Rimmed using BP, elevation from 50 yds to 100 yds using a 450 grn pil is around 12 inches, not to mention the amount of wind drift!!
22lr, 22br,6mm br,30br, 6mm PPC,6mm dasher, 6mm superLR, 260 rem, 257 rob ack imp,7 x 57 ack imp,308 win,30/06 ack imp, 32/20, 44/40, 444 marlin,12.14 x 42mm
6mmdasher
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics