About to buy ammunition for the first time ever.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

About to buy ammunition for the first time ever.

Post by jennageit » 04 Dec 2014, 11:27 am

Hi guys,

I'm about to go out for the first time and buy my own ammunition. I'll be storing it at the club, for those of you who remember that I don't have my safe installed yet. I've also spoken to the guys, and there may be room for me to store a rifle in the safe at the club too, which is great.

Anyway.....

I'm going to be shooting more, and I've decided to buy my own ammunition, rather than run the club out of their supply.

So, I've only ever used three types of .22lr rounds:

Eley - used twice now, not much different result than from the other brands,

SKR Match - used extensively, but more recently had issues with misfires etc,

TLR (I think) - yellow box - lots of issues with misfires etc.

The prices are pretty much the same, ranging from $9.75 for 50 rounds to $10.50 for 50 rounds.

So, should I go with what I know? Or should I follow the guys and use what they use. Most are using Eley right now, but change back to SKR Match for competition.

Any advice, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it matters, or if it's right or not, but the rifle I use seems to prefer the SKR.

Take care, shoot straight and enjoy!

Jenna

PS. Went shooting last night, first time in nearly 6 weeks and shot 184/200. Not a great score, but I hit every one of my own target circles lmao :lol:
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: About to buy ammunition for the first time ever.

Post by petemacsydney » 04 Dec 2014, 12:03 pm

"sk standard plus" is my fave. even works better in my cz452 than the match grade.

that said and as you probably know, each rifle/ammo combo is different
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 04 Dec 2014, 12:07 pm

jennageit wrote:Hi guys,

for those of you who remember that I don't have my safe installed yet. I've also spoken to the guys, and there may be room for me to store a rifle in the safe at the club too, which is great.

There's no requirement to store ammunition in a safe, in fact my understanding is in Victoria you can't store Guns and ammo in the same safe unless that safe has a separate lockable compartment for ammo and it must have a different key to the main safe door.

My Ammunition is in a locked storage box bolted to a brick wall, $20 or so from Bunnings

I'll try Google and see what I come up with.

Edit: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=36210

Can I store my firearms and ammunition in the same safe?

Legislation requires that any cartridge ammunition for a firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm must be stored.

Victoria Police has determined that for the purposes of implementing this part of legislation; a single, purpose-built storage receptacle comprising of two separate lockable compartments, one for ammunition and one for firearms is classified as separate storage areas (and therefore suitable) provided that each compartment is locked with a separate lock and key or combination lock.

The key consideration is that firearms cannot readily be used by persons not authorised to access them.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 04 Dec 2014, 12:37 pm

In that case, I could store it in the safe I already have at home, in a cupboard. You wouldn't know it was there unless you knew what you were looking for and exactly where it was.

I wont be installing my safe until we move house. I've also had the offer to store a rifle at a mates place, he's also offered to take me out hunting. I'm not sure about it yet. This is a guy who shoots a one inch group at 500 - 700 yards, so a hell of a lot better than me, but I may learn from him.

Anyway, just trying to figure out my ammo at this stage, I'll look at a rifle in the new year. I'm still tempted by the Zastava CZ99 .22lr that Clayton firearms have on offer, especially as it's all set up ready to go, and my local GS said they could get it in for the same price, so no trip to Melbourne.

Talk soon guys, and thanks for your advice,

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 04 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

This is for my rifle Jenna, won't be the same result for all of course but hopefully of interest.

22LR ammo comparison (12x shootout)

Short version...

RWS Club
RWS Sub-sonic
SK Match

All shot great for me. While I don't know many others shooting RWS a few guys at my local range all shoot SK Match and it works for everyone.

RWS Club is $7 a box at my local too so isn't even a premo cost ammo :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Mich » 04 Dec 2014, 1:46 pm

I don't know anyone who didn't like SK Match.

RWS R50 is also great ammo, but very expensive for rimfire ammo.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 04 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

Mich wrote:RWS R50 is also great ammo, but very expensive for rimfire ammo.

Yeah $20 a box compared to $7 for the club :?

I'll try a box at some point. No rush to pay that much for ammo though when the Club shoots great for me.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 04 Dec 2014, 1:47 pm

As you're shooting for accuracy, whatever you try just make sure it's subsonic.

Don't bother with the stinger or super-sonic stuff.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 04 Dec 2014, 1:48 pm

Guliver wrote:my understanding is in Victoria you can't store Guns and ammo in the same safe unless that safe has a separate lockable compartment for ammo and it must have a different key to the main safe door.

Correct.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2014, 12:13 am

As previously stated each rifle will achieve best accuracy with a particular round. Check the manufacturers site and see what they use for their testing as it may save you time and money. I bought maybe 12 different brands and types of ammo for my PWS T3 and whilst most were good it absolutely loves the RWS HV HP to the point of being boring to shoot cause there's little or no room to improve the groups. The 17HMR was tested in a similar way and I settled on the Hornady 17gr VMAX as the most consistent in achieving small groups. Good luck on your quest to find the magic pill for your rifle. If you have Officeworks nearby you can buy a small petty cash type lockable metal box which should be perfectly legal and can kept at home. Also makes for a nice easy way to carry your ammo and doesn't cost a fortune.

Storing ammo in NSW is similar to VIC, so long as it's in a separate locked container from the firearm your fine. I have a number of the MTM 50cal plastic ammo cans which are filled with ammo, 2 padlocks and stored in a different safe from the rifles. In a safe not because I have to but because almost 4000 rounds of 375, 416 and 50 are worth a small fortune so they get their own safe. I could keep the cans in my wardrobe and that's legal but my missus would kill me. What I find amusing is that I cannot have more than 10kg of powder stored at home without installing a Work Cover approved magazine but there's no limit on the amount of loaded rounds I can have...weird.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 05 Dec 2014, 8:06 am

As far as accuracy and ammunition are concerned, I find taking into consideration my age, health and fitness level, there's no advantage to buying more expensive amunition, I use Federal Bulk 22 LR in my handguns.

Like all things I think there are diminishing returns and there's no use me buying expensive ammunition when I'm the weakest link in the chain.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 05 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

Thank you for all the fantastic advice guys.

I'm going to the GS in about ten days, and I think I'll be picking up some SKR Match rounds. My rifle (club anschutz) seems to really prefer them, even over the Eley.

On a side note, we may be moving next door to a gunsmith lol who apparently shoots daily on his own range, might be someone worth getting to know I reckon!

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 05 Dec 2014, 9:08 am

Ha ha that is gold!

Don't tell me, you used the yellow pages to house hunt?

It was all about ' location ~ cof gunsmith shooting coach ~ location '
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Press » 05 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm

As good a reason as any to pick that house to me :D
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 05 Dec 2014, 1:27 pm

20 bucksfor a boxof 22lr fodder??

what about a bucket of bullets!
They go bang just the same...and $90 / 1400! :D ;)
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 05 Dec 2014, 2:40 pm

The bucket is a favourite at Springvale.

Always one on a bench.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 05 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

1290 wrote:20 bucksfor a boxof 22lr fodder??

Where are you buying these in Victoria?, that's about what I pay for two boxes of Fedral Bulk = 525 X 2 = 1050
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by beerhog » 05 Dec 2014, 8:50 pm

The Remington bucket of rejects and seconds. I bought a bucket recently due to the young bloke at the lgs saying they really had improved and aren't too bad now.

Maybe if you could sort through them and separate the subs from the hypersonics you could get a group rather than a pattern. Every round you shoot is a variation ranging from pffft to a bang to a crack.

I cant speak highly enough of RWS subs though my rifle loves them far more than anything else I've fed it.
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 05 Dec 2014, 8:57 pm

I got a pack of Remington cyclone with my .22 when I got it. It is nasty dirty ammo. Every round is covered in grey dust.
I thought of getting a bucket because it's cheap, but some research suggested you get a lot of misfires and flyers.
If you are just chucking it down range, I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm not a fan.

I got a brick of Winchester Subs not long ago for general use, $79 for 500, not as cheap as some stuff, but it is alright, I think I have had two in a couple hundred fail to fire on the first strike. I prefer subs for most of my .22 shooting.

Apparently the Federal bulk is much better than the Remington if you want cheap supersonic.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 05 Dec 2014, 9:19 pm

Thanks Guys didn't realize these were a mixed lot of rejects, I'll stick with the Federals for now. They're always bright a shiny.

I get the very occasional dud, but it's usually just a dead patch of primer on the rim, they nearly always fire when loaded differently, I'm only talking about less than 1% duds.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by steyroy » 07 Dec 2014, 8:11 am

beerhog wrote:Maybe if you could sort through them and separate the subs from the hypersonics you could get a group rather than a pattern. Every round you shoot is a variation ranging from pffft to a bang to a crack.

Are there seriously a mix of different kinds of ammo in there?

Or just inconsistent loads?
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 07 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

steyroy wrote:
beerhog wrote:Maybe if you could sort through them and separate the subs from the hypersonics you could get a group rather than a pattern. Every round you shoot is a variation ranging from pffft to a bang to a crack.

Are there seriously a mix of different kinds of ammo in there?

Or just inconsistent loads?

just inconsistent loads, i dont think anyone would be able to sell mixed up ammo and why would anyone buy it? it would shoot all over the place :shock:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 07 Dec 2014, 10:05 am

That theyre a bucket of rejects.... no I wouldnt believe, if theyre producing that many reject - they would know they had a serious manufacturing flaw. and shut down.

that there is load variations - of course THEYRE NOT TARGET ROUNDS. theyre for PLINKING, AFAIK, rimfires are for cheap plinking fun for all, and knocking over small game!!

That there are duds - yes, I could handle a number of duds in a bucket of 1400, what annoys me is a dud round in a box of Rem centrefire rounds, 40+ dollars, $2 per dud! and it happens, I dont think there'd be 70duds in the bucket...

I picked up the fed value pack for 37 a while back, The rem price is advertised in QLD, not sure the $ in Vic, will bit a few $ more I presume...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by steyroy » 08 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

tom604 wrote:just inconsistent loads, i dont think anyone would be able to sell mixed up ammo and why would anyone buy it? it would shoot all over the place :shock:

I guess only if it was sold purely as plinking ammo.
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 09 Dec 2014, 1:08 pm

KWhorenet wrote:Ha ha that is gold!

Don't tell me, you used the yellow pages to house hunt?

It was all about ' location ~ cof gunsmith shooting coach ~ location '

No, I didn't use the yellow pages, but only cos I didn't think of it lol

The house I wanted is already under contract, and then I found this one, and let's just say that hubby hasn't yet figured out just why I like such a dump of a house lmao And I'm not telling him either!

He's a smart man (as already proved by marrying me), so I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by whert » 09 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

Is the new place where you had the feral dog problem, Jenna?

How'd that go?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 10 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

The new place will be a house block.

As far as I know, my mate was having issues with Wild Dogs, but until I get his new phone number, I don't know if he's done anything about them yet.

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jeebo » 11 Dec 2014, 10:59 am

I totally got where this was going wrong after reading the subject.

Thought it was going to be "omg I'm buying ammo, how do I transport it, need a swat team to keep it secure!"

:lol:
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics