Choosing new rimfire ammo, old preference discontinued

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Choosing new rimfire ammo, old preference discontinued

Post by sbd3927 » 09 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm

Having missed far too many shots with my WMR recently, ... on a box of Winchester Power Point. I pulled the scope off, checked the mounts etc, resighted and could get no better than +- 1" both vertically and horizontally, 2" spread at a mere 50 yards!

Digging around in the safe I found my last dozen rounds of MaxiMag Gold Dot, which I determined to be the most accurate when I bought the gun around 7 years ago. Hey Presto!, shoots 1/4" horizontal and less than an 1/8th vertically, I don't suck after all. I wish I'd bought a brick, but I've only recently gone through the last of the samples I bought back then.

Hunting around the net, the old Gold Dot was actually discontinued in 2004, so there wasn't much point to testing it in 2007, thanks LGS.
Apparently it was unusual, being a 50g 1550fps round. I also had the MaxiMag TNT at the time, which appears to still be around in the states, just not here, seems it was a 30g round, and as I dimly recall was runner up accuracy wise.

My question is... should I try to match bullet weight/velocity to get similar performance? Is it more factory variations/quality or ballistics, recoil and barrel whip that determines accuracy variations in rimfire?

It's a pain to have to go through ten shots per box again to find a decent load, at around $25/box. Someone should make sample packs to help us choose our ammo.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Choosing new rimfire ammo, old preference discontinued

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 5:43 am

I think that's you're only option mate, find something in similar weight/velocity and see how it goes.

Nothing worse than finding out something that shoots well isn't available anymore hey. When you do find something you know what to do STOCK UP BIG TIME! :lol:

That's exactly what I do when I find a combo that works, saves the hassles of having to go looking for a replacement and the expense that goes with it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kelix » 10 Dec 2014, 3:11 pm

sbd3927 wrote:It's a pain to have to go through ten shots per box again to find a decent load, at around $25/box. Someone should make sample packs to help us choose our ammo.

Wrong type of firearm but FYI there is this place http://www.bulletproofsamples.com/

They do packs of 12 bullets for working up hand loads so you don't have to buy boxes of 50 or 100 to try something out :)

Can't help for your 22mag but something if you have the same problem with CF :)
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 10 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm

Looks interesting, an Australian contact too, I think there's permission required to import projectiles.

I'll get around to that sometime in future with the .308, for now the priority with that is best results for most economy so I can work on my shooting skills. Thus the revisit of the WMR too.

I guess I'll save the last gold dots for special occasions, seems there's only one 50grain on the market now. I read one review last night referring to the characteristic Thwack it makes on target, too true, it's quite distinctive compared to all the other rounds, like hearing someone hit a cricket ball in the distance.

Expands enough to kill instantly with great energy retention at range, yet doesn't mince bunnies, <sigh>
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 12 Dec 2014, 7:25 am

sbd3927 wrote:Looks interesting, an Australian contact too, I think there's permission required to import projectiles.

Yep, permit required to import bullets, empty brass, the lot... :roll:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by ployer » 12 Dec 2014, 7:25 am

You'd need to be a dealer to import ammo anyway though?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 12 Dec 2014, 7:26 am

He's talking about projectiles only, ployer.

Bullets, empty brass - no powder or primer... Harmless.

Walk into any shop here in VIC and buy without a license but need a customs permit to import them.

Makes no sense obviously...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 12 Dec 2014, 7:27 am

Same story for knives.

Many you can't import but can walk into any shop and buy.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 12 Dec 2014, 7:32 am

sbd3927 wrote:My question is... should I try to match bullet weight/velocity to get similar performance? Is it more factory variations/quality or ballistics, recoil and barrel whip that determines accuracy variations in rimfire?

It's a sensible starting point but no guarantee :(

Tolerances and consistency of another brand might be better or worse making the 'same' ammo for weight and stated velocity perform quite differently.

Projectile dimensions also, bearing surface... Other factors than just matching the weight.

Nothing to do but try though.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mich » 12 Dec 2014, 9:07 am

If you need to give something new a try I usually recommend SK or RWS.

I've used their ammo in half a dozen rimfire rifles over the years and it's always shot well.

A few fans here too I have read.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by ebr love » 13 Dec 2014, 11:04 am

Pays to have a backup 'usual' ammo.

Stuff stops being made or more regularly it's stock availability problems these days.

Good luck finding the new one.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 15 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm

ebr love wrote:Pays to have a backup 'usual' ammo.

I have my regular and then 2 backs that shoot well enough for some fun.

Problem is they're all made by RWS... Better hope to hell the company doesn't go under :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 15 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Main and two backups... that's about the maximum amount of choice in nearby gunshops (outer east Melbourne). I'll have to go to one of the larger ones in the city,

I had another look at the winchester power point, no wonder it was @#$@ in the gun, the projectiles were tumbling at 100m. Mushroom shaped holes in sheet iron. Given the ballistics they shouldn't have gone subsonic by then so I guess its the rough as guts finish on the projectiles. All the other 22 mag ammo I've ever shot had a nice smooth finish on the bullet.

power_point_left.jpg
.22WMR From Left, 40gn Winchester Power Point, CCI Gold Dot 50gn, Federal Premium Speer TNT 30gn
power_point_left.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sneaker » 16 Dec 2014, 9:28 am

That's real rough looking :|
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 16 Dec 2014, 9:41 am

If you've got the storage stocking a couple of bricks is definitely a winner.

Have more than a few frustrating months over the years when stocks ran dry for too long.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics