American Eagle Cool or not?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

American Eagle Cool or not?

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm

Has anyone else tried the American Eagle 168 grain 7.62x51 ammo in their rifle? and did your 200 m groups go from fist size or less with other cartriges to beer carton size with these like mine did? O.k. , it was a little windy ,but FFS,I didnt expect great precision,but there is no way I'd take a hunting shot with these at this distance. I'm yet to try them at shorter range as my thoughts were to start at 200 and then 300 and 400. Looks like I'll have to be inside 50 to make a decent kill!
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: American Eagle Cool or not?

Post by Atter » 11 Oct 2013, 9:59 pm

Not personally, I was having a chat to a fellow shooter at my local range when he was there with his .308 bench rifle and 150gr American Eagles.

He couldn't get them to group either. He was doing 200m too on A4 targets and was barely on paper.

He could shoot decent though... He went back to his Nosler Custom Competitions and was down to 2" - 3" groups.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 11 Oct 2013, 10:02 pm

I can't be bothered with factory ammo any more.

Not worth the effort IMO.

Hand loading all the way.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by kram » 11 Oct 2013, 10:16 pm

That sounds similar to me .The AE 223 stuff is a ballistic tip boat tail round and shoots well out of my Howa varmint.This 7.62 stuff is a hollow point made for the M1A. I thought it might have gone ok out of my 20" barrel Tikka. Anyone else trying it?
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by kram » 12 Oct 2013, 11:45 pm

O.k. went out today and fired off another 6 rounds of these A.E. and found something out. Being a hollow point they are very wind affected. Shooting with the breeze I was close to M.O.A. at 200 m. Shooting 1 round across wind from the left, it went high right. Turn around and shoot 1 round across wind from the right and it went low left. adjusted my aim point to compensate, and got on target pretty well. I wonder if the twist rate of my barrel is a little more eccentric than the M1A they are made to suit?
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 13 Oct 2013, 1:21 pm

kram wrote:This 7.62 stuff is a hollow point made for the M1A. I thought it might have gone ok out of my 20" barrel Tikka. Anyone else trying it?

I can't say I'm a fan of the 20" barrel in .308.

Between my mates and I have had a bit of a run at a few different .308's with barrels from 18.5" - 26" and the shorter ones always seem to be a fraction (or more depending) behind the longer barrels.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 13 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

kram wrote:I wonder if the twist rate of my barrel is a little more eccentric than the M1A they are made to suit?

What rifle we talking about exactly?
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics