Big Pig Little Bullet

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Big Pig Little Bullet

Post by Westy » 21 Dec 2014, 8:50 am

Hey Guys just wanted to have a chat about the issues of how it seems to me that most guys are using huge calibres with their hunting rifles now days to achieve the same end !!!

Ok maybe I should just mind my own business but how many times do I see a young bloke walk into a LGS and ask straight away for a 30-06 or a 270 and the amount of 308's that walk out the door well it's staggering.

All of these are great calibres and have their place but the amount of the same guys who walk back in a few weeks later and say this thing won't shoot or it's got a problem as I keep missing my targets at 100m is also mind blowing. The guy behind the counter is smiling all the way to the bank in fact he's s**ting himself laughing at peoples poor rifle selections... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A while ago someone decided to post a thread called something like " Is 300aac wank factor is over" and I had to laugh to myself about the comments :D :) :D ... Ok so just putting it out there what is your favourite and most successfully used Calibre rifle that you hunt with on a regular basis???

For me it has to be the 223 with 55 grain Serria Blitz kings using 22 Grns of benchmark 2 ,I have found not a lot that this rifle and load can't finish off in the Australian scrub if used in the right hands and with in a appropriate distance I do not include (Scrub Bulls, Buffalo, Camels ,Donkeys, Crocodiles or Samber and Red Deer in this statement)

I know guys like Brett have some heavy duty gear and it looks like a ton of fun but just what is your opinion for the average Joe just starting out????

Here's a couple of shots from last week
Last edited by Westy on 14 Mar 2015, 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Big Pig Little Bullet

Post by Browning » 21 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

I think those people you mention that can't hit something at 100m; it won't matter what calibre they buy..

There's always going to be "people" out there like that in any sport, be it fishing, golf, 4x4ing... The list goes on..

As I'm sure you're aware, there's a calibre for every situation...

.308 - my favourite for pigs... Love it, rate, wouldn't want anything else..

I'm sure there's others who'll love a .270 and others who want a 300 blackout..Man, I know when shooting foxes with a 22-250, if a big pig runs across us, we are sure gonna give it a scare.. Is it my first choice? Nope...

You kinda circled about it in your post, but no matter what's being used, it's the calibre of the muppet at the trigger that's gonna make the biggest difference on any calibre rifle.

So as far as starting out... Think of the bell curve... Most would be best with a 243 or 270... Some will go fine hitting a .308 straight up.. There's those that need detailed tutoring... With an air rifle to begin and yes there's always those ambitions are bigger than their capability.. Lol
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 21 Dec 2014, 10:05 am

.22,.308, i have a 223 as well but she stays at home a lot, noise issues/small place. the 308 i use on goats and before everyone tells me that the 223 is big enough i do culls and the parks people say its not,,might need to buy a 243 ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 21 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

tom604 wrote:.22,.308, i have a 223 as well but she stays at home a lot, noise issues/small place. the 308 i use on goats and before everyone tells me that the 223 is big enough i do culls and the parks people say its not,,might need to buy a 243 ;)

Yep those 223,s are ratshit on goats :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
PB210010.JPG
PB210010.JPG (287.2 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2014, 10:10 am

I think for the average Joe starting out then .223 is a good choice and I've recommeded same to a couple friends venturing into shooting as a first rifle.

I've got some seriously cool big guns but have always said my favourite is my Sako 85 S/S 22-250.

I have the same rifle in .204 which I'm absolutely loving as well. I had 2 308's but sold 1 as I don't shoot that caliber often.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 21 Dec 2014, 10:25 am

I'm one of those young fellas who bought a .270 as my first centerfire but I knew what I was getting into. I shot the old boys .243 for years and knew that was all I needed but just loved the Big Bang and long action. When I'm older and wiser I'll get something smaller but for now it's too much fun.

Funny how a .17 can drop a pig cold sometimes and they can run for miles with a 30 cal pill in the boiler room.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

tom604 wrote:.22,.308, i have a 223 as well but she stays at home a lot, noise issues/small place. the 308 i use on goats and before everyone tells me that the 223 is big enough i do culls and the parks people say its not,,might need to buy a 243 ;)

WTF,,,, ?????????
The T Rex or 500 Jeffries didn't rate a mention ????????????
Ha Ha,,,,,,,,,,, just kidding mate.

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by North East » 21 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

The old caliber debate...nothing wrong with that but very dependant on your location and game been hunted.

In Vic Sambar, Red, Fallow or Hog deer hunting is heavily controlled requiring a .270 minimum for the lager species and .243 for the smaller ones. I prefer a .30-06, hits hard and recoil is manageable. Some will prefer other calibers.

I've never seen a pig around my place so a .223 would be a waste, illegal for deer, not enough grunt.

I've got a .204 barrel burner which I get out occasionally to have a break from the recoil of a .30 cal. That's a fun rifle to shoot and I mainly use it for keeping my eye in and having a go at the occasional wild dog. I like the idea of a high velocity .20 cal.

Each to there own I guess.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 21 Dec 2014, 3:42 pm

Note to Westy on your first pic, never have the light at the back of the subject, try always to have light shining on the photographer's back or use a flash fill.

Good hunt by the look of it, congrats a successful day out.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 21 Dec 2014, 5:05 pm

Guliver wrote:Note to Westy on your first pic, never have the light at the back of the subject, try always to have light shining on the photographer's back or use a flash fill.

Good hunt by the look of it, congrats a successful day out.

Thanks mate but it was like 5.00am in the morning here and that sun had just creep over the hills, was still bloody tired from the night before so it is what it is :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 22 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

Westy wrote:All of these are great calibres and have their place but the amount of the same guys who walk back in a few weeks later and say this thing won't shoot or it's got a problem as I keep missing my targets at 100m is also mind blowing.

As I keep missing the targets ;)

What do they say? The 1 consistent feature in all your failings is you? :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 22 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

North East wrote:In Vic Sambar, Red, Fallow or Hog deer hunting is heavily controlled requiring a .270 minimum for the lager species and .243 for the smaller ones. I prefer a .30-06, hits hard and recoil is manageable. Some will prefer other calibers.

Not implying anything or picking a fight here but do you really feel it's offering much over a .308?

30-06 that is.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by North East » 22 Dec 2014, 11:57 am

RealNick wrote:Not implying anything or picking a fight here but do you really feel it's offering much over a .308?

30-06 that is.

I used to own a Ruger .308 but wanted something lighter for carrying around the bush. When the T3 Lite came out I brought one immediately and it gave me an excuse to change calibers. The rifle weighs just 6.9 Ibs with the scope.

I changed over to .30-06 for its ability to put out 180gn pills or larger. I also use 125gn pills. I like the variety of projectile weights that the .30-06 can deliver with authority. Each to there own I guess., it's just personal preference.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 23 Dec 2014, 9:10 am

1290 wrote:Me me me freaking hog the lime light with your gaytime-newage 310 cadet. .... sorry 300 dragonslayer blackout death ray rainbow spud checker. ..

Need to squeeze a jab in there about being a sissy who can't handle .308 recoil as well :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 23 Dec 2014, 10:06 am

ME ,,JEALOUS !!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 23 Dec 2014, 10:09 am

Wes wrote:
1290 wrote:Me me me freaking hog the lime light with your gaytime-newage 310 cadet. .... sorry 300 dragonslayer blackout death ray rainbow spud checker. ..

Need to squeeze a jab in there about being a sissy who can't handle .308 recoil as well :lol:

Actually your pretty close to the money with that crack..."Yep I'm a sucker for low recoil and straight shooting!!!!If only I hadda taken the HMR out that night!!!!Right in the eye or ear!!!!Now I'm really fulla bulls**t!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 23 Dec 2014, 10:10 am

tom604 wrote:ME ,,JEALOUS !!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very :lol:

Don't be Tom plenty more where he came from!!! Way out West ;) :o ;)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 23 Dec 2014, 10:20 am

Westy wrote:
tom604 wrote:ME ,,JEALOUS !!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very :lol:

Don't be Tom plenty more where he came from!!! Way out West ;) :o ;)

none in Adelaide, a few up Renmark/Mildura way but its a long way to go :cry: :cry:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Korkt » 24 Dec 2014, 1:05 pm

Westy wrote:Ok maybe I should just mind my own business but how many times do I see a young bloke walk into a LGS and ask straight away for a 30-06 or a 270 and the amount of 308's that walk out the door well it's staggering.

There is bias on both sides.

Not knocking it at all, but I think you'd agreed there was a lot of unwarranted hype around the 300 AAC. This is where the back and forth stems from I think.

Many, I think, bought it because of the tacticool factor. As I'm sure you know it's originally developed for the military to be used with sub-sonic rounds and suppressors.

Here where we can't have suppressors, 'the point' of the cartridge is somewhat negated. If you were shooting in the US where suppressors are legal it would be a whole different kettle of fish.

Not saying it doesn't have it's uses, obviously you're showing it does.

My point is definitely some, perhaps many, bought it for the wrong reason. They talk it up big time, and in equal over-reaction to the unwarranted hype others put it down big time in defence of their old favourite the .308. or whatever their more mainstream preference is. Everyone ends up arguing over nothing.

As said not knocking it, that's just the situation as I see it.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 24 Dec 2014, 1:08 pm

North East wrote:I changed over to .30-06 for its ability to put out 180gn pills or larger. I also use 125gn pills. I like the variety of projectile weights that the .30-06 can deliver with authority. Each to there own I guess., it's just personal preference.

Yeah fair enough.

Just interested in hearing your reasoning on the large cartridge :)
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 24 Dec 2014, 1:10 pm

North East wrote:I used to own a Ruger .308 but wanted something lighter for carrying around the bush. When the T3 Lite came out I brought one immediately and it gave me an excuse to change calibers.

I did something along similar lines.

I originally had a Ruger Hawkeye (timber/blue) in .308 and while it was good, it was a bit heavy. It was accurate too, but was the sweet spot for hand loads was pretty tight around the 150gr region.

I'd had tried a bunch of 125gr, 160gr, 165gr and 180gr loads without much success. That's a minor gripe, I suppose. In the 150gr range there were great options like Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra Pro-Hunters etc., so got the job done.

Anyhoo...

I switched from the Ruger to a fluted Tikka Hunter action/barrel, in a Forest stock, to get something a little nicer and more comfortable and switched to 7mm while I had the chance.

I have loads worked up for 120gr and 140gr Nosler BT, which I alternative between depending on what game is expected.

The 120gr is pretty pleasant to shoot. It's overkill, of course, if shooting foxes but isn't ridiculous. It's well suited to goats, moderate piggies, and legal here in Vic for the 3 smaller deer breeds. Very diverse.

I put in the 140gr if I'm out specifically for deer.

As to Westy's point of guys using huge calibres for any hunting, I'll just say I'm yet to see anything shrug off a 140gr pill at 2,500fps to the noodle or boiler room.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 24 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm

I guess your right people do have different idea's on what's best for them.

As I'm almost 50 I find the recoil of the larger rifles a little more than annoying now days and tend to stay on the quitter and less recoiling rifles side, this being said I still love getting out amongst it and don't like to find myself ever under gunned...

Tactical "NO" but "Cool" yes I do love my 300aac and you have to admit when the suppressors finally arrive and they will were ready to go!!!! Different horses different courses you know what I mean!!!!LMFAO
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 25 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

Ok so big question time Westy...

IF you lived in the US where they didn't have the appearance laws.... how many picatinny rails and accessories would you have on your .300 AAC? :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 25 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

Hey Yelp,

I wouldn't change it one little bit!!!!! I love this thing as it is, had Mark F from wild Dog give me a few bits and I replaced the stock, it is what I wanted it to be the non recoiling 308 that stops monster pigs and red deer stone cold dead out to 150m!

Didn't buy it to be a tactical tool just it fitted the criteria that I had in mind at the time... :o :shock: 8-) and man it's Bloody Awesome!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 26 Dec 2014, 10:51 am

Well, you can't argue with that boar at your feet that's for sure :)
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 30 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

Westy's desperately trying to get things back on topic, so play nice otherwise he'll come around to your house and piss down your chimney! I have a 222 that I'm infatuated with, plus a 223 that's too heavy to cart all around the bush. But for power and performance I'll call on the 270W with 140gn SST's and the 308W with 165gn Interlocks. I can shoot too, the Army told me so.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 30 Dec 2014, 7:46 pm

Those dills haven't won a war since 1945!!!!

Oh holy s**t it's going to rain down on me now!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 31 Dec 2014, 8:23 am

headspace wrote:I can shoot too, the Army told me so.

Was that the 'broad side of a building' test you passed? :lol: :D
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 31 Dec 2014, 8:24 am

Westy wrote:Those dills haven't won a war since 1945!!!! Oh holy s**t it's going to rain down on me now!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

It's the thought that counts ;)
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics