Better options than a .223 with heavy projectiles

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Better options than a .223 with heavy projectiles

Post by ailar » 29 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm

.223 is very popular obviously, with in the top few calibres I would guess. Looking at some bullet weights got me wondering if some weren't trying to squeeze more out of it than it's intended for because of this to get extra sales.

Looking at load data for the .223 from ADI the lightest pill is 35gr, the heaviest 90gr. About triple the lightest. Other calibres have nothing like this range.

Listing a few...

.308 is 110gr - 200gr.
.270 is 90gr - 180gr
.257 Roberts is 60gr - 115gr.
7mm Rem Mag is 100gr - 180gr
6mm BR is 55gr - 110gr

And so on... You get the idea. All about double.

Fast loads and light pills seem right at home in the .223 to me. 55gr shooting fast through a 1:12 twist. I think the AR platform is 1:9 and usually loaded with 70gr pills, close enough.

The 22-250 stops at 70gr which seems like a good balance of velocity and pill weight. Same for 220 Swift. Once you're getting to the 1:8 and 1:7 twist so you can shoot the 90gr pills seems to me like you're making the .223 struggle to do something a different/slightly larger cartridge might be a lot better suited for?

I know it's a target cartridge with the heavier pills, but then if you're getting a dedicated target rifle wouldn't it make more sense to go for something... Else? 6mm BR (55gr - 110gr while I'm here)? I just picked that one example off the top of my head but you get the idea.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Opinions?
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Better options than a .223 with heavy projectiles

Post by wrenchman » 30 Dec 2014, 4:23 am

what are you wanting to do and if you are trying to do more with the 223 maybe they should look at anoher gun but some time it comes down to money and you make do with what you have.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 30 Dec 2014, 8:28 am

ailar wrote:.223 is very popular obviously, with in the top few calibres I would guess. Looking at some bullet weights got me wondering if some weren't trying to squeeze more out of it than it's intended for because of this to get extra sales.

Looking at load data for the .223 from ADI the lightest pill is 35gr, the heaviest 90gr. About triple the lightest. Other calibres have nothing like this range.

Listing a few...

.308 is 110gr - 200gr.
.270 is 90gr - 180gr
.257 Roberts is 60gr - 115gr.
7mm Rem Mag is 100gr - 180gr
6mm BR is 55gr - 110gr

And so on... You get the idea. All about double.

Fast loads and light pills seem right at home in the .223 to me. 55gr shooting fast through a 1:12 twist. I think the AR platform is 1:9 and usually loaded with 70gr pills, close enough.

The 22-250 stops at 70gr which seems like a good balance of velocity and pill weight. Same for 220 Swift. Once you're getting to the 1:8 and 1:7 twist so you can shoot the 90gr pills seems to me like you're making the .223 struggle to do something a different/slightly larger cartridge might be a lot better suited for?

I know it's a target cartridge with the heavier pills, but then if you're getting a dedicated target rifle wouldn't it make more sense to go for something... Else? 6mm BR (55gr - 110gr while I'm here)? I just picked that one example off the top of my head but you get the idea.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Opinions?

I doubt any 1 rifle in .223 would shoot both a 35gr and a 90gr bullet well. Barrel twist rates tend to dictate what weight (or more correctly length) a barrel will stabilise correctly.

A 12 twist should be ideal for lighter faster moving bullets in the 40-60gr range but most likely won't stabilise a 75gr. An F class gun with a fast 1:8" or even 1:7" May excel at shooting even 90gr bullets but may over stabilise a light bullet, causing over stabilisation and even jacket failure. Some of us have seen 55gr sierra match kings explode half way to the target. :)

.223 makes a good varmint and hunting round, also a good target round but you need to decide what you want the rifle for, then decide what bullet weight you need to use and what barrel twist best suits those bullets.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 01 Jan 2015, 9:45 am

Chronos wrote:.223 makes a good varmint and hunting round, also a good target round but you need to decide what you want the rifle for, then decide what bullet weight you need to use and what barrel twist best suits those bullets.

Agreed.

A .223 isn't stretched to shoot a huge range of pills, you pick the twist to do the job you want and shoot light, medium, or heavy pills.

Not all of them.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 01 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

ailar wrote:I know it's a target cartridge with the heavier pills, but then if you're getting a dedicated target rifle wouldn't it make more sense to go for something... Else? 6mm BR (55gr - 110gr while I'm here)? I just picked that one example off the top of my head but you get the idea.

There are other considerations though.

Lots of arguments could be made to say any number of cartridges are 'better' for target shooting.

.308w, 300wm, 7mm, 6mm options blah blah blah.

Except... You might not like the recoil, might find it too hard to find ammo, don't want to spend a lot of time reloading, they might be overkill for the range you want to shoot, ammo costs to much, not allow in the comp you want to participate in...

A slow twist .223 will be perfect for some, a fast twist perfect for others, or neither option suitable for others.

All depends on what you want / need.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ailar » 01 Jan 2015, 1:06 pm

wrenchman wrote:what are you wanting to do and if you are trying to do more with the 223 maybe they should look at anoher gun but some time it comes down to money and you make do with what you have.

Just thinking out loud like I said, getting my head around things.
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Hardcast » 01 Jan 2015, 2:12 pm

not sure it's all about being able to shoot double or triple the weight.............
The 223 will shoot 35g - 90gr. That's a variation of 55 grains.
A 308 or 30.06 will shoot down to 90 grains and up to 220, a variation of 130 grains.

This is why some shooters prefer a bigger caliber over a smaller one, and use reduced loads to broaden their rifles capability.
There was a time when the 303 was used for everything from rabbit for the pot to buffalo.
It's all about reloading.

Horses for courses really.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 01 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Not sure if relevant but I have tried 55gr and 75gr in my American Ruger Predator .223 with a 1:8" twist and cant tell the difference.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm

rsj223 wrote:Not sure if relevant but I have tried 55gr and 75gr in my American Ruger Predator .223 with a 1:8" twist and cant tell the difference.

I might get shot down here! Every rifle will vary naturally. But I think for the average hunter who shoots a few foxes or goats that's true, it's no big deal. You change from a 55gr doing .8 moa to a 75gr and it does .7 moa. wow big deal. I'm sure the foxes and goats will notice the difference.LOL BUT to a very keen target/comp shooter achieving much tighter groups it may well be a big deal. I think the .1 or .2 moa improvements/variation is what they are talking about not .5 moa improvement for example, also there is wind effect/advantages with some of the heavier projectiles. I guess there could be a few exceptions to this, eg some rifles could be very fussy about projectile weight/length. I will leave any further comment on this one to the experts.

mmm hope this doesn't start an argument ;)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 02 Jan 2015, 6:48 am

6.5x55 I think has the most versatile range in the heavy cals, it goes from a 85Grn Varmint right through to the 160 Grn hornady and all done with the one twist rate of 1-8
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ailar » 03 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

rsj223 wrote:Not sure if relevant but I have tried 55gr and 75gr in my American Ruger Predator .223 with a 1:8" twist and cant tell the difference.

Difference on what?

Target shooting? Hunting? Hunting what?

Cheers.
ailar
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Carter » 03 Jan 2015, 11:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:You change from a 55gr doing .8 moa to a 75gr and it does .7 moa.

Just bragging rights.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 03 Jan 2015, 11:54 am

Hardcast wrote:Horses for courses really.

This is it.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics