Standard action = long action?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Standard action = long action?

Post by sneaker » 26 Jan 2015, 1:03 pm

A bit confused here with people calling the same things different things or vice versa.

.308 is short action.

I see people call 30-06 long action.

Then others call 30-06 standard action and really long cartridges like .300 ultra mag long action.

So which is the correct size for "long action" ?
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Standard action = long action?

Post by North East » 26 Jan 2015, 1:25 pm

DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0304.JPG (470.26 KiB) Viewed 7599 times

.30-06 long action on the left and .204 short action on the right.
Last edited by North East on 28 Jan 2015, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 26 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

Yes it dose get confusing, but the way a see it is 308 is short/standard length, 30/06 is long/military length, and 223 is miniature. It dose get confusing when some manufacturers make 223s in short (howa) and long (tikka) and there are intermediate length actions like 6.5x55.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by 1290 » 26 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

The 'standard' length refers to the standard 8x57 and 30-06 length (Mauser) action being for the 84.84mm COAL '-06' round.... Short action would refer to the action shorter than this length action which cover 308win (71.12mm) down. The standard is also called a long action (incorrectly AFAIC as it confuses magnum and standard) as its longer than the223/308 which most consider as 'standard' length...

Note there are short,standard and magnum length actions, there were standard Mauser as above, by far the most common, and also short and magnum Mauser actions being shorter and longer than the standard m98 mauser actions....(You'd be lucky to find an example today!$)

If you consider the Savage actions, then there are really 2 lengths, the short model 1x series (up to 308length) and the 11x series for standard '06' series family, which also covers short mag family (Win Mags etc)but also the Magnum length H&H family (yep, all in the standard action length)

See not at all confusing. :crazy: :crazy:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 26 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

yoshie wrote:Yes it dose get confusing, but the way a see it is 308 is short/standard length, 30/06 is long/military length, and 223 is miniature. It dose get confusing when some manufacturers make 223s in short (howa) and long (tikka) and there are intermediate length actions like 6.5x55.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: ?????????????????? 6.5x 55 intermediate 223 tikka long????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 26 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

Westy wrote:
yoshie wrote:Yes it dose get confusing, but the way a see it is 308 is short/standard length, 30/06 is long/military length, and 223 is miniature. It dose get confusing when some manufacturers make 223s in short (howa) and long (tikka) and there are intermediate length actions like 6.5x55.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: ?????????????????? 6.5x 55 intermediate 223 tikka long????

All the tikka T3s are the same length action with different bolt stops, bolts and different magazines.

If you use the Brno 600 actions as a references, the 601 was the 308 length, the 600 was 30-06 and the 602 was Magnum. They had a miniature for 222/223. Nowadays most manufacturers fit 223 size cartridges in 308 actions and most 30-06 actions will take Magnum cartridges (Howa and Tikka). By 6.5x55 I mean the Swedish Mauser 96 that were imported years ago, that action is an intermediate and is between 308 and 30-06 length (6.5x55 won't fit in a 308 length action)
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Westy » 26 Jan 2015, 8:58 pm

Years ago now your making me feel Bloody Old!!!! I bought one in early 80's new in grease still have it today :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 26 Jan 2015, 10:50 pm

most of the rifle manufacturers just have 2 short and long like howa so the short does all 222 to 308 and the long 6.5x55 to the bigest they chamber

others can have 3 lenghts

IMG_0491 (Small).JPG
IMG_0491 (Small).JPG (54.22 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 27 Jan 2015, 6:00 am

Westy wrote:Years ago now your making me feel Bloody Old!!!! I bought one in early 80's new in grease still have it today :lol: :D :lol:

All everyone on here seems to talk about is Howas and Tikkas, I doubt anyone will be storing them away for 30 years.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Korkt » 28 Jan 2015, 12:42 pm

sneaker wrote:A bit confused here with people calling the same things different things or vice versa.

Different labels depending on who you speak to, same thing.

Some say Short, Standard or Long.

Some say Short, Long or Magnum.

Some probably say something else too even, but those are the most common.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 12:57 pm

I don't think there is any recognised written down standard to go by other than the basic length of certain cartridges . Manufacturers do their own thing from what I can see . There is too much BS hype about action lengths . I prefer some extra room in an action. I detest having a cartridge shoe horned into an action leaving no room for longer bullets . I love the long Howa action for 223 with the removal plate in the magazine well and the bolt stop that can be ground down to increase bolt travel .
Allows customisation . If Howa move the 223 chambering to only the new short action I will never buy another one . People who just use factory ammo will not be worried but custom reloaders are not served well by short actions with no room to do anything .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by roob » 28 Jan 2015, 1:17 pm

To add to the mix, didn't sako make 4 action lengths for a while there?
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 1:24 pm

I think Sako 85 comes in six action sizes . Stupid . I love the old Sako's but I would not even consider buying new 85 . I would buy a Sako 75 maybe , far better design.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 28 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

yoshie wrote:All everyone on here seems to talk about is Howas and Tikkas, I doubt anyone will be storing them away for 30 years.

Back in the days of the old forum..... There was only one rifle; the 700 :thumbsdown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 28 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

1290 wrote:Back in the days of the old forum..... There was only one rifle; the 700 :thumbsdown:

No there wasn't . Us Sako owners just let those 700 owners think they were the best .

If anyone said anything negative about a Remington 700 they got yelled down .

The most popular and talked about now is always going to be the most affordable .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tactice » 28 Jan 2015, 3:57 pm

Jack V wrote:Us Sako owners just let those 700 owners think they were the best .

Wait what?! :wtf:

:lol:
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tapper » 28 Jan 2015, 3:58 pm

Jack V wrote:I love the old Sako's but I would not even consider buying new 85 . I would buy a Sako 75 maybe , far better design.

Why no love for the 85?

Other than complaints about the price tag I thought they were pretty widely regarded as a top rifle?
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

1290 wrote:
yoshie wrote:All everyone on here seems to talk about is Howas and Tikkas, I doubt anyone will be storing them away for 30 years.

Back in the days of the old forum..... There was only one rifle; the 700 :thumbsdown:

Ah the old remschitters, a word guaranteed to upset the thinned skinned amongst us. I never got involved but it was a source of entertainment at times.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Jan 2015, 6:29 pm

tapper wrote:Other than complaints about the price tag I thought they were pretty widely regarded as a top rifle?

That's my issue. I'd love a Bavarian Carbine but the price will not allow.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 12:31 pm

tapper wrote:Why no love for the 85?

Other than complaints about the price tag I thought they were pretty widely regarded as a top rifle?

The 85 is still a quality gun , it's just that I don't like the way it ejects cases , they sometimes hit the scope and the 75 seems to be a more rigid action with a better supported recoil lug system . Not that I like the new recoil lug systems at all but the 75 ejects better . I like mechanical ejectors but the 85 is in a bad place as far as I can see. Í think that under Berretta , Sako has gone too far away from what really works in an attempt to be cutting edge .

In many cases a new buyer that has never used an older Sako will not know any different but when I look at the new ones and compare to the old models I see shorts cuts in quality manufacturing techniques. The 85 will still shoot well and do a fine job but there is no way I will trade my old one in on a newer one unless it was unfixable or something like that . What one person sees as a negative another may see as a positive depending on what they have been led to believe .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by buster » 30 Jan 2015, 8:27 am

Lorgar wrote:I'd love a Bavarian Carbine but the price will not allow.

Ditto.

Favourite rifle.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tapper » 30 Jan 2015, 8:28 am

Jack V wrote:In many cases a new buyer that has never used an older Sako will not know any different but when I look at the new ones and compare to the old models I see shorts cuts in quality manufacturing techniques.

Hmmm, bummer.
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Westy » 30 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

If it goes Bang and shoots 1\2 " MOA @ 100 I'm having it in my safe ,as long as it's not locking up every other shot!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wheelbarrow » 30 Jan 2015, 1:17 pm

roob wrote:To add to the mix, didn't sako make 4 action lengths for a while there?

Howa are doing a 'mini action' now too on there new line of rifles. It's shorter than 'short'.

(Credit: scott for posting the topic recently)
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Korkt » 30 Jan 2015, 1:18 pm

Westy wrote:If it goes Bang and shoots 1\2 " MOA @ 100

Works for me.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Feb 2015, 5:11 am

Korkt wrote:Different labels depending on who you speak to, same thing.

Some say Short, Standard or Long.

Some say Short, Long or Magnum.

Some probably say something else too even, but those are the most common.

Yes this is the way I learned it. Short, Long/Standard and Magnum.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sneaker » 13 Feb 2015, 8:52 am

You Say 'Tomato', I say 'Tomato'.

Got it :)
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 13 Feb 2015, 11:35 am

Once you start reloading and maybe fitting fast twist barrels you realise that short actions that cramp a cartridge into minimum space are not such a good thing.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 14 Feb 2015, 11:09 am

Cycle it, shoot it, who cares :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics