Firing factory ammo in Ackley Improved chambers and accuracy

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Firing factory ammo in Ackley Improved chambers and accuracy

Post by wheedle » 27 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm

Just want to know after reading about Ackley Improved cartridges in another topic here.

Say you've got a rifle with a .30-06 Ackley Improved chamber and you put factory .30-06 Springfield ammo through it to form the AI case, would it be as accurate as firing the same .30-06 Springfield ammo in one of the same rifle still chambered for regular .30-06 Springfield.

Would firing factory spec ammo in a AI chamber be accurate? Or does throwing fire forming into the mix send it out the window?
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Firing factory ammo in Ackley Improved chambers and accu

Post by Jack V » 27 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

It is very hard to say for sure in every case. Generally most people see less accuracy fire forming because there is a fairly radical change in case shape.

However the fire forming accuracy can still be quite acceptable for hunting. Generally 30-06 is going to be used for larger game so even if it shot 3 inch groups it will still take a pig or deer at 100 m.

I would just keep the fire forming shots for the shorter ranges and bigger targets.

Some people report good accuracy while fire forming in AI chambers.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 29 Jan 2015, 10:35 am

wheedle wrote:Say you've got a rifle with a .30-06 Ackley Improved chamber and you put factory .30-06 Springfield ammo through it to form the AI case, would it be as accurate as firing the same .30-06 Springfield ammo in one of the same rifle still chambered for regular .30-06 Springfield.

It would be comparable, thought not exactly the same. Depending on what level of accuracy you demand also.

On one hand much of the to-be fireformed cartridge is the same. There is an approprate powder charge, same projectile, the bullet seating depth is the same placing it the same distance off the lands.

All that's changing is the shoulder being reformed. This would have some effect on the pressure curve of firing the round, on paper it will be different to firing an already formed and loaded cartridge.

Forming your cases during a competitive shoot wouldn't be a smart move but for hunting, practice or otherwise fun target shooting it would do.

(Used to have a .243 AI)
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Jack V » 29 Jan 2015, 4:36 pm

In all properly chambered Ackley improved chambers they are arranged to have about .010 crush fit on a factory case. It varies as factory specs vary a bit .

What this does is make the unfireformed case hold very well and centre in the chamber . This pushes the case head against the bolt face and stops any chance of the case having headspace that could cause stretching back of the case and assures the shoulder blows forward and in centre but also helps accuracy during fireforming .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 31 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Just use your fireforming for plinking rounds or practicing your technique.

They might not be as accurate but no reason for them to go to waste just firing rounds into an embankment to shape the brass.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusC » 04 Feb 2015, 3:05 pm

Khan wrote:Just use your fireforming for plinking rounds or practicing your technique.

Bingo.

I have never understood these people who put hundreds of rounds into the dirt without even looking down the scope.

Too wasteful for me.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 09 Feb 2015, 10:15 am

AusC wrote:I have never understood these people who put hundreds of rounds into the dirt without even looking down the scope.

Too wasteful for me.

I agree. People are too worried about having a bad shoot or something, I dunno.

Put it to good use. You'll live to shoot another day even if you shoot a few wide groups.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 12 Feb 2015, 10:40 am

wheedle wrote:Would firing factory spec ammo in a AI chamber be accurate? Or does throwing fire forming into the mix send it out the window?

Nothing will go 'out the window'.

It will be an influence on accuracy like anything else, but not 1 exactly thing is completely responsible for accuracy.

In a lot of cases it would be fine I'm sure.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pom » 17 Feb 2015, 10:25 am

Grrzrr wrote:People are too worried about having a bad shoot or something, I dunno.

Gotta impress all the lads at the range :lol:
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Feb 2015, 12:23 pm

Hornady make a hydraulic form die kit for converting brass shapes,has anyone tried it?
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 17 Feb 2015, 1:16 pm

I have heard about the die on an American forum some time back but have never seen one but a few yanks reckon they work ok .

It works similar to a hydraulic decapping die for Berdan primers . I found this write up - Hornady’s Hydraulic Case-Forming Dies

That is about all I know about it except I would not use the die in the top of a good press as the belting and water spills would be no good for and expensive quality press.

Buy a second hand press to use .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sooey » 18 Feb 2015, 12:17 pm

Still needs a final fireform after the hydraulic case forming :|

Lots of effort to not quite get there?
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes