Do you think calibre choices will dwindle in future

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Do you think calibre choices will dwindle in future

Post by riggee » 27 Feb 2015, 9:36 am

Seems it's hard to get a lot of shooting stuff these days. Doesn't show any signs changing in the near future either.

Brand X might make a rifle in a lot of calibres that you can split hairs on when arguing the difference. One might make

220 swift
22-250
257 rob
7mm
30-06
7mm mag
300 mag

And probably a few others. Depending on what the rifles for the bottom or top cartridge would change in size but you get the idea.

Question is... Do you think this might dwindle in time and a few calibres will fade away?

Maybe end up with the most common options only. 223, 243, 308, 300wm or something and do away with the rest?

Idle thoughts here but what do you think?
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: Do you think calibre choices will dwindle in future

Post by Jack V » 27 Feb 2015, 10:23 am

History has shown that some do go away but new ones also pop up. I don't think manufacturers want to be all making exactly the same products it would make competition too fierce in a narrow product line.

Some that you have listed are already dead as far as commercial sales go , 257 Roberts and 220 Swift and 222 Remington fairly low sales now , although sometimes a certain cartridge is available in one country but not another . 7mm is a calibre diameter not an actual cartridge designation like 7mm Rem Mag.

Many people like to have something different , that's why we have all kinds of wild cats so I think for the foreseeable future we will have a fairly wide choice but you could be right one day .

If demand went down to a point where manufacturers had to tighten their belts to make a profit then slower selling options could well get the chop.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Feb 2015, 11:19 am

Nope I don't reckon it will dwindle as such, change yes and manufacturers will always want to bring out the latest and greatest to keep the $$ wheels turning.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tiiger » 02 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

One or two here or there maybe.

It will never drop to 4-5 cartridges like you've suggested as worst case there though.

There will always be shooters who want their .270 instead of a .308.

7mm rem mag instead of 300wm etc.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 02 Mar 2015, 8:58 am

As long as their are common diametre projectiles a lot of cartridges will be kept going.

e.g They'd never drop 30-06 while continuing to make .308 and 300WM.

7mm projectiles load 7mm-08 Rem, 7x57mm Mauser, .280 Remington, 7 mm Remington Magnum...

.22 pills load a dozen different cartridges and so on.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 06 Mar 2015, 9:17 am

Shelves might not be overflowing with factory ammo all the time for some of them but with the exception of a few there are already so many rifles chambered in those cartridges that there will be plenty of on going demand.

Supply is the problem the last few years. Not lack of buyers.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 06 Mar 2015, 9:20 am

Some drop off, some new ones stick and replace them.

Wasn't that long ago .17 HMR was a wildcat but that's not going anywhere.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Utcherd » 11 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

People will always have a soft spot for things other than the main half dozen chambers.

Some like going different just for the sake of it.

It'll never be reduced to only 4-5 chamberings.
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by tony m » 02 Nov 2015, 12:04 am

Maybe because I am in Canada, I would say the opposite. It is hard to find two hunters with the same chambering now.In my youth we would see,.270, 30/06,.303, 30/30 alot.Now , it is wild -.338 of all stripes, and bigger,.300's are considered light these days.Maybe because the USA is so close and they are the shootingist folks around. Cheers
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Elek » 02 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

tony m wrote:300's are considered light these days

:wtf:

You guys trying to kill game there or make it explode :lol:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tony m » 02 Nov 2015, 11:26 am

Elek wrote:
tony m wrote:300's are considered light these days

:wtf:

You guys trying to kill game there or make it explode :lol:
Not me-I'm a.270 win guy..We have a good population of Grizzlies here and this is probably the reason
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Nov 2015, 11:56 am

Tony, 270 for Grizzlies??? Here in Sambar land the 270win has for a long time been a standard Sambar Round, 30-06,303, 308 the norm.... nowaday its really considered a minimum entry to our biggest deer specie, by law the 0.270 calibre is even the recognised minimum...Although its recognised that smaller chambering are more than adequate;

I can't believe you would face a Grizzlie with one.... me? I would want to have nothing less than a 4inch high explosive tipped missile, launched from California... or at least a 338mag/UM.... in Alaska I recall the (foresrtry service?) recommended being 375H&H, that a good balance of medicine :lol:

thread back from the dead.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm

sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Nov 2015, 4:56 am

The market place will decide what stays and what goes. The 222Remington and the 222Remington Magnum have been pretty much replaced by the 223Remington. The 22/250 is the reigning 4000pfs champ. The 243 Win is popular but some still hold the 244/6mm Remington in high regard. Still a good number of 30 cal fans. But you don't see many boxes of 300H&H on the shelves.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by dhv » 03 Nov 2015, 6:01 am

Hmm, how long before "sporadic supply of ammunition" is considered a good reason on a PTA for something new?
dhv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Nov 2015, 8:27 am

GLS_1956 wrote:The market place will decide what stays and what goes. The 222Remington and the 222Remington Magnum have been pretty much replaced by the 223Remington. The 22/250 is the reigning 4000pfs champ. The 243 Win is popular but some still hold the 244/6mm Remington in high regard. Still a good number of 30 cal fans. But you don't see many boxes of 300H&H on the shelves.

Dont worry, we frequently go into the dealer and find very little of other stuff..... last time I picked up the one box of 303.....

Most chamberings are continuously in production, but might be special order, adding to the extra cost....

Most concerning is the PRICE of ammo, the raw materials are at their lowest in 5 to 7 yrs....the dollar is back to where it was several yrs ago (around 70c/USD) yet prices didnt drop back down, they only went up up up with the 1:1 dollar.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Spooner » 04 Nov 2015, 8:35 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:the raw materials are at their lowest in 5 to 7 yrs

You're referring to the lead smelters shutting down a while back?
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Nov 2015, 9:15 am

Spooner wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:the raw materials are at their lowest in 5 to 7 yrs

You're referring to the lead smelters shutting down a while back?

No, the global market spot prices,
lead 1.30 >> 0.75/lb,
copper 4.60 >> 2.40/lb

(also Al, Zinc, Tin) are at the lowest now....

All lead smelting was shut down in USA due to EPA licensing conditions, or something similar according to reports.... but most lead in the USA market is apparently recycled lead-acid batteries...

Yes, raw materials are a minor comonent in the price we pay, but when the copper price was rising, the rising street price of ammo was explained as due to the rising material costs..... :roll:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2015, 8:44 pm

They can always find an excuse to rob ya, just have a look at the fuel prices etc, there's always an excuse as to why it has to be that high.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigtone » 04 Nov 2015, 8:56 pm

dhv wrote:Hmm, how long before "sporadic supply of ammunition" is considered a good reason on a PTA for something new?

Qld Weapons Licensing would consider that as a reason to move that calibre to cat R. :allegedly:

Queenslanders wont have to worry about calibres larger than 30 cal soon anyway.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by tony m » 09 Nov 2015, 1:11 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Tony, 270 for Grizzlies??? Here in Sambar land the 270win has for a long time been a standard Sambar Round, 30-06,303, 308 the norm.... nowaday its really considered a minimum entry to our biggest deer specie, by law the 0.270 calibre is even the recognised minimum...Although its recognised that smaller chambering are more than adequate;

I can't believe you would face a Grizzlie with one.... me? I would want to have nothing less than a 4inch high explosive tipped missile, launched from California... or at least a 338mag/UM.... in Alaska I recall the (foresrtry service?) recommended being 375H&H, that a good balance of medicine :lol:

We live with Grizzlies , whe their not denned up in the winter.They kill alot of our chickens, pigs etc during this time.It is not unusual to see them around the farm house.I would say more bears have been killed with a 30/30 than anything else.These bears are hard to hit , they are lightening quick and the quicker the rifle to the shoulder the better.The .270 win is a ideal elk /moose rifle providing we use a premium bullet.I am a mountain hunter-the rifle got to be light and maneuverable. If a guy was to pick a defensive Grizzly gun a 12ga is a better choice imo.You gotta hit the thing.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Turkle » 09 Nov 2015, 9:53 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Tony, 270 for Grizzlies???

Yeah doesn't sound like a lot of gun for one :wtf:
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Nov 2015, 10:18 am

tony m wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Tony, 270 for Grizzlies??? Here in Sambar land the 270win has for a long time been a standard Sambar Round, 30-06,303, 308 the norm.... nowaday its really considered a minimum entry to our biggest deer specie, by law the 0.270 calibre is even the recognised minimum...Although its recognised that smaller chambering are more than adequate;

We live with Grizzlies , whe their not denned up in the winter.They kill alot of our chickens, pigs etc during this time.It is not unusual to see them around the farm house.I would say more bears have been killed with a 30/30 than anything else.These bears are hard to hit , they are lightening quick and the quicker the rifle to the shoulder the better.The .270 win is a ideal elk /moose rifle providing we use a premium bullet.I am a mountain hunter-the rifle got to be light and maneuverable. If a guy was to pick a defensive Grizzly gun a 12ga is a better choice imo.You gotta hit the thing.

More elephants have probably been taken with that old classic hunting round the 7.62x39 :P doesnt mean I'd use one for that particular job....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Farmjer » 12 Nov 2015, 9:57 am

Some might dwindle, then people will want something different and revive them a little.

Round and round.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 12 Nov 2015, 12:09 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supporter » 13 Nov 2015, 9:18 am

happyhunter wrote:One is that certain countries like france ban the use 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51

Because they're scary military cartridges I suppose :roll:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 14 Nov 2015, 10:44 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Homer » 17 Nov 2015, 6:16 am

G'Day Fella's,

I have seen this thread but this is the first time I've looked at it!
This might be not what this thread was about but I believe there will most definitely be less calibre choices available in the future!
The plain and simple reason for this is, "our" politicians will probably Ban Licensed Firearms!

Double Doh!!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Seik » 18 Nov 2015, 9:03 am

Homer wrote:I have seen this thread but this is the first time I've looked at it!

You should try it more often.

Forums are for reading, not looking at ;) :lol:

:friends:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics