Hydrostatically stabilised bullets

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Hydrostatically stabilised bullets

Post by ployer » 03 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

I'm not really getting how these aren't just a regular solid bullet, they go on about this amazing would channel but I don't see how it's different to something like a normal Nosler Solid.

Explanation?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Hydrostatically stabilised bullets

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 9:21 am

The concept is the wide open nose tends to cut a clean swathe through a hard target like bone or thick muscle etc. A bit like a wad cutter pistol bullet cuts a clean hole in a paper target . Also the open cavity has this neutral pressure zone right in the middle that is supposed to stop the bullet from veering off at a tangent like a long nosed bullet can if the meplat (point) strikes an angled surface or the ogive bends on impact .
Most of it's performance is because it's a solid hard bullet of large calibre and weight with a big open nose . Off course it's going to penetrate most targets .
You could fire a solid cylinder with a flat face and it would work just about as good .
The resulting wound channel is not going to be as wide as a similar calibre and weight suitable expanding bullet that gives up all it's energy into the target but the monolithic bullet will penetrate deeper and not veer off bone as much .
I make my own bullets and have for many years and I am not going to abandon jacketed expanding bullets on Australian game even though I could turn up solid bullets if I wanted to.
They work but are no great cure all for every hunting situation and have terrible BC's making them not suitable for long ranges.
Also solid bullets are hard on your bore , the so called experts will disagree but the harder the bullet is to be engraved by the rifling the more wear takes place.
Most shooters will not fire enough bullets to worry too much but it's still there.
I don't think it's useful to compare bullet types that have totally different uses.
It's a bullet that will do a certain job and as long as you are using it for it's intended purpose it will work ok.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 04 Mar 2015, 2:35 pm

Woodleigh Bullets do a range of hydrostatically stabilised bullets, lots of marketing jazz in it but bolded a few relevant points.

Hydrostatic stabilization is a technique that has been used in the brass extrusion industry for many years. It is a method of producing pierced hollow bars to very precise concentricity by using tool design to harness hydrostatic forces to centralise mandrels when punching through brass billets.

Now for the first time this concept has been used in bullet design to harness the same forces to produce a bullet that resists deflection and achieves deep straight-line penetration.

The task was to design a bullet that would bridge the gap between traditional expanding bullets and modern solids. These new generation hydrostatically stabilized bullets deliver tremendous shock transfer with deep penetration and extremely reliable straight line performance.

The depressed nose at the leading edge of the bullet 'cores' the medium (flesh) through which it is travelling which then creates a 'pressure ring'. The coring and pressure ring balance each other out to stabilise the bullet in the direction of travel. If the bullet hits hard bone the flesh core dissipates but immediately reforms and the balance between it and the pressure ring restabilises to redirect the bullet in the original direction of travel.

Additional benefits of this design are that the pressure ring creates a devastating wound channel and massive hydraulic shock transfer. The bullet actually travels in a low pressure cavitation bubble which aids in bullet stabilisation and greatly increases penetration due to significant reductions in frictional forces acting on the bullet.

This homogenous bullet is made from a specially formulated copper alloy. Only the purest raw materials are used in its manufacture. The result is a bullet that has better toughness than modern homogenous bullets but creates breach pressures similar to standard gilding metal jacketed soft nose projectiles. This combination of materials and design allows for good regulation in most types of nitro double rifles, as well as good accuracy in magazine rifles.

As this bullet does not rely on expansion for its killing effect, it side steps the problem of erratic expansion suffered by some other types of expanding monometal bullets.

In short creates a huge wound channel while maintaining the direction of travel. Channel picture from their website.....

pressure-ring.jpg
pressure-ring.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Norton » 04 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm

And there is "the depressed nose" shown in a bullet cutaway

hydrostatic-bullet-cutaway.jpg
hydrostatic-bullet-cutaway.jpg (3.27 KiB) Viewed 4987 times

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Jack V » 04 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

That wound cavity is an artist impression not a photo of an actual fired bullet entering ballistic gel .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 05 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm

Obviously.....

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 05 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

All sounds very fancy.

I'm sure the design behind it is all correct but IMO you don't have to be all that scientific when hitting something with a 400gr - 500gr bullet :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by sarki » 11 Mar 2015, 12:03 pm

Sounds like fancy talk for "we milled a bullet" :lol:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 16 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

I'm sure the science behind it is legit, but with so how much energy these loads carry anyway it's getting largely academic IMO.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Jack V » 17 Mar 2015, 8:47 am

I do not believe they produce more shock than a similar weight , controlled expansion bullet traveling at the same velocity and hitting a target that the controlled expansion bullet can penetrate well .
It's bull sh*t . They kill by penetration of the whole target and work better than the softer bullet on a hard to penetrate target that may stop the softer bullet getting to the vitals . However on the softer target they are not going to produce more shock than the expanding bullet and will pass right through .
Used for the right job they will work ok.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 17 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

Norton wrote:Channel picture from their website.....

Nice and symmetrical when going through a computer simulation :lol:

I think I'm with the general consensus here on it being mostly fancy talk. Once it's going through various materials at different angles, sinew, muscle, bone, fat, I'm sure they deform and course is influenced must the same.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Hucka » 21 Mar 2015, 8:14 am

BBJ wrote:I'm sure the design behind it is all correct but IMO you don't have to be all that scientific when hitting something with a 400gr - 500gr bullet :lol:

I dunno...

deer-armor.jpg
deer-armor.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics