Aluminium bullets

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Aluminium bullets

Post by Octane » 23 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:Maybe if you wanted to lighten a high BC projectile you could use a cast aluminium core to reduce the weight in relation to size. The Hornady 750gr 50cal AMAX projectiles use such a core made from aluminium to keep projectile weight down while achieving a BC of 1.050 with a length over 2". While the cast aluminium projectile may not be feasible, you could use it as the base to custom build a specific length and weight around that will work.

I'm doubtful you could get the precision required for balance in a home casting setup to achieve the above though?
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 23 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

brett1868 wrote:I doubt a %100 cast aluminium projectile will work as so many posters have alluded to already. Maybe if you wanted to lighten a high BC projectile you could use a cast aluminium core to reduce the weight in relation to size. The Hornady 750gr 50cal AMAX projectiles use such a core made from aluminium to keep projectile weight down while achieving a BC of 1.050 with a length over 2". While the cast aluminium projectile may not be feasible, you could use it as the base to custom build a specific length and weight around that will work.

Mass factors in favour of a projectiles BC, relative to the SD; lightening would reduce the BC for a given form.....
Amax has Al core??
You could use a core to more the centre of mass around, to alter the ballistics and terminal ballistics, provided the core is (absolutely)centred it wont alter the rotational balance.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

Definaty aluminium cored, I've shot plenty of them and recovered several cores. Will try posting a pic tonight if I make it home. Hard to tell if the AMAX core is cast or machined, based on a retail cost of $4.20 each they might be machined. These projectiles have achieved 2" groups at 1000 yards so are reasonably accurate.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 23 Mar 2015, 3:38 pm

If you make it home?
You're either the ultimate pessimist , or SOMEONE has a big night planned :drinks:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Josh Smith » 24 Mar 2015, 1:59 pm

I believe I saw Barnes (or someone) making zinc and copper bullets someplace today, Midway USA perhaps.

The high melting temps have kept me away from experimenting with alternative metals.

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 24 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm

Top to bottom - AMAX 50 BMG showing aluminium tip (couldn't find a recovered core), 50 BMG WBC Brass VLD, What's left after passing through a 1/2" steel plate and 2 railway sleepers before being embedded in a bank some 40m back, AMAX copper jacket, WBC Beta .416 VLD, WBC .416 recovered from dam wall, What's left after 750m into a 1/2" steel plate (didn't penetrate but made a big dent).
Plenty of different materials available to make projectiles and I'm sure we will be seeing some new materials in the near future.

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 24 Mar 2015, 4:49 pm

found a sectioned specimen of a Amax, showing ally tip;

amax.jpg
amax.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 2610 times

Would have been interesting retrieving those examples... :thumbsup:

You can see how those turned projjies have 3 driving bands...interesting
Last edited by Aster on 25 Mar 2015, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image was broken, updated with what I hope is the correct one?
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by south » 25 Mar 2015, 10:15 am

1290 wrote:Mass factors in favour of a projectiles BC, relative to the SD; lightening would reduce the BC for a given form.....

Brain starting to hurt.... :lol:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Pom » 25 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

brett1868 wrote:These projectiles have achieved 2" groups at 1000 yards so are reasonably accurate.

Just "reasonably" ?

You've got high bloody standards :lol:
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 25 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

brett1868 wrote:Hard to tell if the AMAX core is cast or machined, based on a retail cost of $4.20 each they might be machined.

Looking at the cutaway 1290 posted the top of that core is looking a bit sloppy....

Right side of core in particular in relation to the copper jacket.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics