577-450

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

577-450

Post by Ade » 26 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

Have always liked the idea of a martini Henry and these is one on aust gun at the moment. Does anyone know if this round is available commercially ? I'm not into reloading
Thanks
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: 577-450

Post by 1290 » 26 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

This was available from Kynoch, new/old stock may still be found if you're lucky, may even be cordite loaded!!

I understand the company is rebirthed as Kynamco... they seem to supply cases only, not clear but have a looksee if you desire..(cases are probably Aussie made bertram)

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/577-450%20MH.htm

May be a reload only... lots of fun with BP loads!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 26 Apr 2015, 12:55 pm

You'd be lucky to find any you don't have to reload. Empty cases would be your most likely start point. The dies for these suckers are HUGE and you'll need a press big enough to accommodate them. Then theres a bullet mould etc. If you buy it you are gunna have sooo much fun! :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by chacka » 26 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

Noisydad wrote:The dies for these suckers are HUGE and you'll need a press big enough to accommodate them.

Having to buy a press just for one cartridge has gotta hurt :?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TheDude » 26 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm

chacka wrote:
Noisydad wrote:The dies for these suckers are HUGE and you'll need a press big enough to accommodate them.

Having to buy a press just for one cartridge has gotta hurt :?

then buy a 577 snider so you've got 2 cartridges you can use the press for :D
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bunnybuster » 27 Apr 2015, 12:38 am

Bertram did/does brass,don't know about ammo,if you have to load your own,a lyman orange crusher press has a suitable dia thread for 577 dies,

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TheDude » 27 Apr 2015, 9:04 am

bunnybuster wrote:Bertram did/does brass,don't know about ammo,if you have to load your own,a lyman orange crusher press has a suitable dia thread for 577 dies,

Be Safe BB

Yep Bertram still make the 577/450 brass. It's 7.50 a case. Can also form it out of magtech 24ga brass shot shells at $35 for a box of 25 but factor in crushing a few during forming. Have used both. The Bertram is a lot better brass.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Releb » 27 Apr 2015, 9:56 am

TheDude wrote:then buy a 577 snider so you've got 2 cartridges you can use the press for :D

I think we might be getting into the 'good money after bad' territory if we follow this line of thought much further :lol:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 27 Apr 2015, 10:30 am

Releb wrote:
TheDude wrote:then buy a 577 snider so you've got 2 cartridges you can use the press for :D

I think we might be getting into the 'good money after bad' territory if we follow this line of thought much further :lol:

Awesome money after good money I reckon! :-)
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 27 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

Noisydad wrote:
Releb wrote:

Awesome money after good money I reckon! :-)

Definitely agree. Love my snider.

Imported it from International military antiques a few months back. My father imported a mk IV martini Henry at the same time. Hell of a lot of fun shooting them. The rounds for this thing makes the 45/70 look tiny
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by newsteadvic » 27 Apr 2015, 1:27 pm

Ade wrote:Have always liked the idea of a martini Henry and these is one on aust gun at the moment. Does anyone know if this round is available commercially ? I'm not into reloading
Thanks

If you want a MH in 577-450 then it is a reloading prospect only, along with developing skills in BP loading and possibly paper patching or casting depending on what projectiles you use.

However you can always look at a MH in 303 - a great alternative in that commercial loads are obviously available and everywhere.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Nov 2015, 12:17 pm

I've seen a MH that was converted to 45/70. It was done because the guy couldn't find the 577-450 here in the US.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 03 Nov 2015, 10:33 pm

Got given a couple of rounds when I was a kid that some one found in the floor boards of an old house , always wanted one . there was a company making straight wall cases out of turns brass ( out side fits in to the chamber and the inside is straight walled ) if that is any help think I seen an add o YouTube
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tony m » 03 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm

Is the bore diameter fairly standardized on this clambering? It sounds like a good project to me and one that you will learn something from.Just bring cash..good luck
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by RealNick » 05 Nov 2015, 11:08 am

Geez they're fat old cartridges. Look a bit like artillery shells :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

Necro time!

So I have a Martini 577-450... More on that later, for now I have a powder questions.

I went into a shop the other day and was told that they can no longer get black powder. Obviously there's some around, for cowboy action for example.

I have 2 questions:
1. Can I buy black powder in Melbourne.? I am told there's one dude who sells it... But is that it? What about all the BP shooters?
2. Alliant Powder/Pyrodex. No go in VIC?

So, anyhow, I'd like to start loading my MH, because why not and blackpowder is hard to get. Everyone seems to stay clear of it.

Also, my preference would be to use something else, actually. So Pyrodex would have been good, but none in Melbourne. And then I am also thinking Trail Boss, however I suspect TB would be a little too 'pressure spiking' for the old MH.

Please help :(
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Jan 2018, 11:23 am

G'day juststarting,
Centreway sells BP, as well as Forbes. A couple of other shops may also have some but you will need to ring around. I usually buy mine from Centreway. Trailboss is fine for BP cartridge, it was developed for that purpose. I have used it in Martini Henrys, Sniders and Trapdoors but it doesn't "smoke" enough, or smell right. 95g of 2F is the way to go! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 11:50 am

Hrmmmm Centreway is closed until the 15th. Not sure who allowed this unspeakable thing to happen! Gun shops should operate 24/7/365 (day off during leap year is ok). Driving to Eltham though... Hrmmm. Why does this s**t has to be so hard.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 11:51 am

Do you have any links for TB load development for it, before I get my paws on proper black powder?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 09 Jan 2018, 11:55 am

Gotta use the holy black. Same cleanup as pyrodex but smells better
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 11:57 am

God damn it!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 09 Jan 2018, 12:03 pm

You’ll have a front stuffer next JS
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 09 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

Just gotta twist your arm into coming up to Nagambie for a Seymour BP Club mid range gong play date come the new comp season.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 09 Jan 2018, 3:35 pm

Noisy Post the dates do you have a facebook page?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 6:10 pm

Thanks dude! But looks like I need 1F or 2F. I'll probably pick some up next week...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Jan 2018, 8:03 pm

How much fff bentaz ? ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2018, 9:32 pm

JS, have you got cases for this ol clunker?

PS. I think you need to change your name from Just Starting to "Speeding" at the rate you buy rifles. :crazy:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 10:58 pm

Yes, OB. I actually formed a handful. And I do mean a handful, that's what was left, after I crushed the rest.

Crushed AF.

And this is pretty neat. Dents/dimples from using too much lube.

Basically, annealed, stepped it a little, annealed again and pushed the rest of the way. The rest of the way - in steps: push, stop, rotate, push, etc. Now, that's all well and good, but I didn't have the press - so borrowed one from a friend that took those monster dies. Because the press was on loan, I opted to mount it to a plank and clamp the wood to the bench. Yeah, nah. So off to see my parents. Dad has metal bench, someone welded for him - yep, that worked. Then annealing, pushing, turning, both of us enjoyed the project, but came to a decision that this is just way too much effort for reasonably small reward. So I ordered a few LOL. Good learning experience, making my own cases from 24ga brass shells, but this has crossed my time dedication threshold, so they are on their way.

I actually had this MH for a bit, I'm just getting to this to-do item on my list now.

As for speeding, I wasn't aware there was a speed limit. Should I slow down or stop? ;)
Last edited by juststarting on 09 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

BTW there would have been a couple of other challenges, if I was to go with the DIY approach... But cases ordered now, CBE mould has arrived, so it is what it is. Now I just need to get some BP. I could use Trail Boss, but I think this is just not how it was meant to be shot and I would feel shame and be mocked by everyone lol So BP it is!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Jan 2018, 8:45 am

I haven't seen a case dent from too much lube yet. Ive read about it but not seen it and I have tried to a point. If you could get that round to chamber it would fire form ok. It may not have a very even neck though.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics