Buying a rifle for a friend

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Buying a rifle for a friend

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 May 2015, 6:27 am

I've got a mate that's started to get into shooting and hunting over the last year. He's recently completed his safety course and is in the process of signing up with the SSAA and getting his licence.

I've had an idea and I want to see if anyone has done this before. The plan is to buy a .243 Tikka stainless lite and keep it in my safe and only allow my mate to use it under my supervision as the only time he shoots is with me. Then when he gets his licence he will transfer the rifle off me.

So the question is can he give me the money to buy the rifle and ammo or am I better off paying for it all until he's licenced.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Buying a rifle for a friend

Post by bigfellascott » 13 May 2015, 7:27 am

Better off just letting him buy it when his license has been approved, why rob him of the satisfaction of buying his first rifle?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 May 2015, 7:39 am

No sure how it works in QLD but in NSW an unlicensed person is prohibited from handling firearms. I'm assuming that in QLD you can handle / use firearms if under the direct supervision of a licensed shooter.
You'r doing a nice thing for your mate and it's a good way to induct new shooters into the sport.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 13 May 2015, 8:24 am

Unless there is a specific bit of legislation saying otherwise, and I have not seen any, ownership and being the registered operator of a piece of equipment are two completely different things.

Nothing stops me financially owing your car, boat, gun aeroplane. The person legally responsible for it, its safety and its operation is the registered operator. In aviation this is actually spelled out clearly (about the only thing that is). Qantas does not own all of their aircraft, but they are 100% liable for it if they are the registered operator. Same goes for cars, the leasing company owns it….you don't yet. Your house is owned by the bank until you pay it off and they hand the deeds over. And so on…..

Having said that if your mate really wants something, and its there, why not take him into the store and put down a 50% deposit lay buy on it, then when his licence and PTA come through he gets the pleasure of collecting it. Just a thought.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 May 2015, 8:39 am

bigfellascott wrote:Better off just letting him buy it when his license has been approved, why rob him of the satisfaction of buying his first rifle?

I brought that up but I don't think he's all that worried about it really. I remember being over the moon when I picked my first rifle up but that saying that my licence took over 18 months to go through so I would have rather got it quicker. :lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 May 2015, 8:42 am

brett1868 wrote:No sure how it works in QLD but in NSW an unlicensed person is prohibited from handling firearms. I'm assuming that in QLD you can handle / use firearms if under the direct supervision of a licensed shooter.
You'r doing a nice thing for your mate and it's a good way to induct new shooters into the sport.

Yeah I think this is a better way of showing someone how to use a firearm safely and show him how to clean and sight it in. Better than some people I now who got their licence and jumped in blind and got given wrong information and picked up bad habits.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 May 2015, 8:42 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Better off just letting him buy it when his license has been approved, why rob him of the satisfaction of buying his first rifle?

I brought that up but I don't think he's all that worried about it really. I remember being over the moon when I picked my first rifle up but that saying that my licence took over 18 months to go through so I would have rather got it quicker. :lol:

Yeah it was a special moment when I think back on my first firearms purchase (sharp Innova Air Rifle) but if he's happy to let it happen that's all that matters hey mate, good on ya for helping him out, I assume there will be some extra costs incurred doing it that way but if he's happy to wear it all good. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Combat_Wombat » 13 May 2015, 8:57 am

Yeah not entirely sure what the transfer costs will be but he's an operator at the mines so money's not an issue haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elek » 14 May 2015, 1:24 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Yeah not entirely sure what the transfer costs will be but he's an operator at the mines so money's not an issue haha

It's only $30 or something there isn't it?
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Usurper » 26 May 2015, 1:18 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I brought that up but I don't think he's all that worried about it really. I remember being over the moon when I picked my first rifle up but that saying that my licence took over 18 months to go through so I would have rather got it quicker. :lol:

18 months..... :roll: :crazy:

The good old days :sarcasm:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 26 May 2015, 2:04 pm

Usurper wrote:
Combat_Wombat wrote:I brought that up but I don't think he's all that worried about it really. I remember being over the moon when I picked my first rifle up but that saying that my licence took over 18 months to go through so I would have rather got it quicker. :lol:

18 months..... :roll: :crazy:

The good old days :sarcasm:

I was lucky enough to submit my application just as they brought in the online system so they had a massive influx of applications and a coue of people processing them. For the last 12 months I called up every fortnight to check the progress and every time I was assured it was being done right away
:lol:
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 2:16 pm

wonder how long it would have taken to have a licence from a different state then apply for the equivalent in yours...existing licence holder vs new licence applicant.

Can you see where my mind is at on this...
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by David Brown » 26 May 2015, 2:35 pm

Hey Wombat, are you serious? Did it really take 18 months from a fully complete application to delivery?

I have seen things take a lot longer than they should, but that is amazing :-0
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 26 May 2015, 8:51 pm

I think it was 17 all up. No one directly admitted it but I think my application went missing. Would have been quicker to cancel the mail copy and email though a new one. Was an agonising wait but it allowed me to save for a couple of rifles in the meantime.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 26 May 2015, 8:55 pm

First long arms license took all of 20 mins, rocked up to the local cop shop, showed my ID, signed some forms and 15 mins later I was heading to the gun shop to pick up a Stirling 22LR 10 shot semi while my first pistol license (Class 1A) took 6 weeks. Second time around took 12 weeks from application to purchase and pistol just over 7 months....It appears technology works in reverse when it comes to firearms licensing in this country.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 May 2015, 8:57 pm

To me it sounds like a great way for him to buy a rifle now and transfer it later when he is ready.

It might cost him registration twice but it will save him the massive wait.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 27 May 2015, 4:21 pm

You're not trying to hide anything and won't be giving an unlicensed person inappropriate access to a firearm so I can't see a problem.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jake84 » 09 Jun 2015, 12:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:No sure how it works in QLD but in NSW an unlicensed person is prohibited from handling firearms. I'm assuming that in QLD you can handle / use firearms if under the direct supervision of a licensed shooter.

agree with this statment

you'd be screwed if you did this in nsw
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by kurl » 10 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

You can take an unlicensed person to a range of course though can't you?
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by jake84 » 10 Jun 2015, 3:13 pm

NSW ranges like ssaa you need to call ahead and make a booking before they can even think about going
no booking no go
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 15 Jun 2015, 9:37 am

Please tell me you have to book because they're often full, and not just because some bureaucrat says you can't go shooting without a booking......
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jake84 » 15 Jun 2015, 10:34 am

Wes wrote:Please tell me you have to book because they're often full, and not just because some bureaucrat says you can't go shooting without a booking......

becuase their full thats all
here's the link hope it helps

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 5949,d.dGY
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 15 Jun 2015, 3:01 pm

:)

Just wondered if it was yet more red tape getting wrapped around you NSW blokes.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics