7mm-08 vs .308 win?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

7mm-08 vs .308 win?

Post by Ken » 13 Jul 2013, 4:53 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a bigger game rifle than my 243 and am trying to decide between 7mm-08 and .308 win.

I see lots of shooters like the like the 7mm-08 for reduced recoil. I'm not a huge guy so less recoil is always a good thing.

They shoot more or less the same way weight projectiles though, so why the less recoil?

Same rifle, same weight projectile = less recoil? Huh?

Any info for either calibres would be awesome.

Thanks.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 7mm-08 vs .308 win?

Post by Monty » 15 Jul 2013, 9:56 am

Hi Ken,

As you say, the 7mm-08 doesn't just magically have less recoil. There's a bit more too it than that...

The differences between the two is that the 7mm-08 has a higher ballistic co-efficient for the same weight bullet due to the smaller diameter, long projectile.

As an example, if your compare a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip projectile in both 30 cal and 7mm-08, the 30 cal has a BC of 0.435 while the 7mm-08 has a BC of 0.493.

This it itself doesn't mean less recoil. Where the recoil comes into it is that with a 7mm-08 you need less energy (powder burned) to match the performance of an equal weight 30 cal projectile.

Alternatively, if you use the same amount of energy with a 7mm-08, it will have superior performance to a 30 cal of the same weight.

If I recall correctly, the 7mm-08 was developed for silhouette shooting for exactly this reason. You can shoot further and retain more energy to knock over the targets at greater distances.

Long story short, when comparing equal weight pills, the 7mm-08 is a superior cartridge. How much of a difference this will make for you in real world hunting situations is debatable though.

The one shortfall with 7mm-08 is that ammo/reloading consumables can be in short supply, where as you can walk into any gun store in the world and they will have tonnes of 30 cal.

Depending on how much you shoot that might not mean a thing to you though. Visit a few stores and see there ammo range and you'll see what I mean, then you can decide which calibre is best for you.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 15 Jul 2013, 10:01 am

Montgomery wrote:ht pills, the 7mm-08 is a superior cartridge. How much of a difference this will make for you in real world hunting situations is debatable though.

The one shortfall with 7mm-08 is that ammo/reloading consumables can be in short supply, where as you can walk into any gun store in the world and they will have tonnes of 30 cal.

Depending on how much you shoot that might not mean a thing to you though. Visit a few stores and see there ammo range and you'll see what I mean, then you can decide which calibre is best for you.

That's the kicker. 7mm-08 would be the ideal cartridge for me, but over the course of a few weeks it was clear that my local gun stores are lacking when it comes to regular stock for them.

Went with a .308 instead as I shoot a fair bit and didn't want to always be searching for ammo and having to stockpile it when I found some.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tucked » 15 Jul 2013, 3:13 pm

Ammo availability for it sux to be honest :(

Be prepared to stock up if you go down the 7mm-08 path...

Getting friendly with some reloading equipment wouldn't hurt either.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Berper » 15 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Never going to beat .308 for availability.

Any military cartridge = win.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by RealNick » 16 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

Berper wrote:Never going to be .308 for availability.

Any military cartridge = win.

Exactly.

7mm-08 is a fine cartridge but ammo is often in short supply.

.308 and .223 is always plentiful.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Releb » 16 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

Got myself a 30-06 recently. 30 calibre for the win :D
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ken » 18 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

Hmm,

Thanks guys. It sounded ideal but I don't want to be struggling for ammo all the time.

Something to think about. Thanks.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics