Do you guys have "Australian Outback" by ADI?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Do you guys have "Australian Outback" by ADI?

Post by Title_II » 04 Jul 2015, 11:00 pm

I know ADI is Australian (obviously) and was curious if you have this brand of ammo or similar for sale over there. I know you generally pay more for ammunition than we do in the States but I was curious if you paid more or less for ammo made in your own country.

Here are some prices on some common .223 loads:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-outba ... -aob223sbk

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-outba ... -aob223smk

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-outba ... -aob223sbk

Prices on other calibers can be found here:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

After selecting caliber you may have to select "Show All" since it only shows the cheapest 80 types by default (military, steel case, crap ammo, etc.)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Do you guys have "Australian Outback" by ADI?

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Jul 2015, 12:29 am

I find ammo and powder at my two locals to be cheaper than internet prices. But even for .223 you're normally paying more than $1 a round.

Having said that i get osa, which is also adi, for kess than a dollar a round, and also the winnie aussie .223 bulk packs cost me $45 for 50 rounds
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 8:34 am

Jesus, thats frightening. I mean we know we pay though the nose but s**t. $12 a box in the US compared with $33 here. :shock: :cry: :thumbsdown:

Edit. Shame we cant import aussie ammo direct from the US. Would be cheaper. Sheesh :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 05 Jul 2015, 9:07 am

I think my Lgs sells OSA 223 for about $19.00 and if I owned a .223 I would not bother with reloading, buy a case of this and be happy. At my local range recently a couple of blokes were using this ammo, one with a Howa HB and the other a Tikka Varmint, neither were experienced shooters, the groups they put on paper you would be hard pressed to match with reloads. There is a shooter in my area who has put 21.000 rounds of OSA ammo through a Howa since September last year and it still shoots inch groups which is good enough for a headshot on roo's, whether that is a testament to the ammo, rifle or his barrel cleaning regime I am not sure
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 05 Jul 2015, 9:11 am

I shoot this Aussie outback ammo all the time through me Howa and it shoots flawlessly , it shoots just under 1moa which for hunting is more than enough. I highly recommend this ammo
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 05 Jul 2015, 4:02 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:I shoot this Aussie outback ammo all the time through me Howa and it shoots flawlessly , it shoots just under 1moa which for hunting is more than enough. I highly recommend this ammo

Yep it's great ammo, but hard to get. Have trouble sourcing it though :crazy:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 05 Jul 2015, 4:48 pm

I'd say this is a bit of a wake up call fellas..... the projectiles are shipped here from the USA... loaded with local brass, local powder, shipped back over to the USA - and are ALMOST A THIRD OF THE PRICE compared to the local price.....

Ridiculous... just proves they price it according to what the market would bear, not what its worth or what the production cost plus distribution cost, wholesale, retail plus profit.. etc what determine.... kind of like the Holden Monaro that was what, half the price over in the US of A compared to locally....

by the way Title_II; ADI are French (Thales) not Aussie, yep, are 'leaders' sold us out and outsourced our defence industries to foreigners....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 05 Jul 2015, 6:03 pm

1290 wrote:I'd say this is a bit of a wake up call fellas..... the projectiles are shipped here from the USA... loaded with local brass, local powder, shipped back over to the USA - and are ALMOST A THIRD OF THE PRICE compared to the local price.....

Ridiculous... just proves they price it according to what the market would bear, not what its worth or what the production cost plus distribution cost, wholesale, retail plus profit.. etc what determine.... kind of like the Holden Monaro that was what, half the price over in the US of A compared to locally....

by the way Title_II; ADI are French (Thales) not Aussie, yep, are 'leaders' sold us out and outsourced our defence industries to foreigners....

Yep at current exchange rates in the USA 200 rounds cost $109.50 USD

Australian cost for 200 rounds from my local is $270 AUD

Current conversion rate for $109.50 USD is $145.66 AUD

Difference is $124.34 AUD Now all i can say is we get royally torn a new ass when it comes to buying anything in this country!!!! :wtf: :thumbsdown: Not bad on the price gouging hey!!!!!

OMG .308 ammo

http://www.sgammo.com/product/adi-outba ... g-ammo-aob

My local want $52.75 per 20!
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 6:42 pm

1290 wrote:I'd say this is a bit of a wake up call fellas..... the projectiles are shipped here from the USA... loaded with local brass, local powder, shipped back over to the USA - and are ALMOST A THIRD OF THE PRICE compared to the local price.....

SPOT ON. What the market will bear. Typical of most compaies. Yes Thales is french but they hire aussies. No wpnder most of us reload. Buy some lee dies and they pay for them selves after about 40 rounds once u get the brass.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 05 Jul 2015, 6:45 pm

I got 200 rounds of 308 outback when I got my gun, bulk bag was on special, and it was my best option for sourcing brass. But it was nowhere near that price. I can't even reload for that little per round.
That Sgammo price is about AUD $1/round. Never found brass that cheap either, best i've seen is $1.20 So forgetting the projectile, powder and international shipping, we can't even get the locally made brass at the price that whole round is being sold at in the USA. I wonder if a please explain letter to ADI would bear fruit?

BTW I've disassembled half the rounds,weighing components, most fell within a 2gn variance, fair room for improvement when I reassemble after fire forming the brass with 2208. Must get back to that, haven't fired it for months, was still working up optimum load.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 05 Jul 2015, 6:57 pm

Yep my next port of call is reloading as i am disgusted with those prices and i just sent an email to ADI! I have about 100 rounds of 308 brass.Just need to get some for the 223 and i will be well on my way to reloading. Will be buying a kit shortly. So another new project lol
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 7:02 pm

Sam45 wrote:Yep my next port of call is reloading as i am disgusted with those prices and i just sent an email to ADI! I have about 100 rounds of 308 brass.Just need to get some for the 223 and i will be well on my way to reloading. Will be buying a kit shortly. So another new project lol

:clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 05 Jul 2015, 7:12 pm

The price discrepancy almost calls for a please explain, but I dont know if it should be directed to Tar-less or the distributor or the retailer :unknown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 7:13 pm

Sam45 wrote:Yep my next port of call is reloading as i am disgusted with those prices and i just sent an email to ADI! I have about 100 rounds of 308 brass.Just need to get some for the 223 and i will be well on my way to reloading. Will be buying a kit shortly. So another new project lol

:clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 05 Jul 2015, 11:03 pm

This is pretty much what I expected. I thought it would be an interesting comparison since this is made in Australia.

You are giving us a pretty good deal on this ammo. I can get brass case FMJ (PMC, Federal/Lake City) less than 30 cents a round. But you are making some fairly accurate ammo and loading it with premium projectiles. This ammo can be found here 50 cents a round or less I think.

I would definitely spread the word and get a lot of fellow shooters to start asking questions and see if you can get the price down. All prices for that matter. I am not sure a boycott would work because they might just ship it all to the States :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Apollo » 05 Jul 2015, 11:39 pm

;) ;)
Last edited by Apollo on 08 Jul 2015, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 05 Jul 2015, 11:58 pm

????
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Apollo » 06 Jul 2015, 12:04 am

You read my initial reply and gave you some info....Now it's gone...!!!!!

????
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 06 Jul 2015, 6:12 am

Yes we get stung…..10% GST, and you need to add local tax to the price in the USA, its not included like it is here. The next thing is volume. The Australian market for most things is about 1/15 to 1/20th of the USA market size. For Firearms it is probably more like 1/100th. So this impacts the costs of delivery component of the total price.

OSA probably buy a fraction of the ammo, then have to ship it to hundreds of tiny shops scattered all over the same geographic area. And the shops have to use all sorts of expensive freight methods. Our cost of compliance in Australia is due to being legislated to within an inch of our lives.

Having said that, the price difference on the Outback Ammo is outstanding.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 06 Jul 2015, 7:02 am

Yeah, nobody in America lives or shoots in remote places. ;) Seriously, I think some people misunderstand how sparsely populated our nation is. I would venture a guess 30% of the country has a police response time of about 48 hrs. Guess what? They need ammo, too :)

But compliance issues make everything a B**** here as well, and probably not as bad as where you are.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Jul 2015, 8:09 am

not sure if it has been mentioned but people in Australia wont work for average wages. They want top pay for doing very little.

Therefore, prices are up to keep businesses afloat and also these businesses want to make top profit for doing bugger all also so guess what...

So much for a fare days pay for a fare days work? If that were policy then allot of people would owe money instead of getting any on pay day.

Customers get shafted in just about every industry and or consumer cash cow based services.

Team Australia yeh :thumbsdown:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by VICHunter » 06 Jul 2015, 3:01 pm

An honest weeks pay for an honest days work :roll:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 06 Jul 2015, 4:01 pm

Title_II wrote:This is pretty much what I expected. I thought it would be an interesting comparison since this is made in Australia.

You are giving us a pretty good deal on this ammo. I can get brass case FMJ (PMC, Federal/Lake City) less than 30 cents a round. But you are making some fairly accurate ammo and loading it with premium projectiles. This ammo can be found here 50 cents a round or less I think.

I would definitely spread the word and get a lot of fellow shooters to start asking questions and see if you can get the price down. All prices for that matter. I am not sure a boycott would work because they might just ship it all to the States :)

Here is the response from the man at ADI. Sent an email last night and received this reply this morning :)

Hi David,

Thanks for your email, I appreciate hearing from people such as yourself, I’m not much for ‘spin’ – I prefer to be open and honest.

While I can’t comment on retail pricing, as we do not set it, what I can tell you is that we don’t concoct different prices whether we are selling locally or overseas. If we have a product that we sell for $1, that is the price to local distributors and it is the same price for distributors in the USA or elsewhere in the world. This is why there are certain countries around the world we know we can never sell to as we simply can’t compete on price with our very small margins even if we were selling straight to large retailers like we do in the USA.

I find that one of the key problems here that increases the cost of ammunition once it reaches your local firearms store is the cost of shipping. We sell to distributors, they then sell to dealers, who sell it in their store. This means there are usually multiple freight shipments involved, and because of the highly regulated nature of shipping this type of product in Australia the cost can quickly add-up. In the USA, ammunition can usually be shipped via standard postal services whereas here in Australia there are a number of dangerous goods charges and other fees that get tacked on. Let me assure you that they are not cheap.

Lastly, as we do not set RRP’s or have any influence on the retail market, local firearms stores are entitled to set any price they deem appropriate. Depending on the size, location, local market pressures etc. this can also influence the price.

While I appreciate this email does not change the fact that our ammunition is more expensive locally, I hope it helps to explain the predicament we find ourselves in. We are definitely not getting rich on this side of the fence. If you have any further questions, or would like any further clarity around any of my points above then please don’t hesitate to ask. I’m happy to assist where I can.

Warm Regards,

[CONTACT DETAILS REMOVED]
Last edited by Blackened on 24 Nov 2015, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Do not post other peoples contact details from your email correspondence with them.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 06 Jul 2015, 4:08 pm

At least you got a timely and well thought out response.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 06 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

Exactly as I thought.

The cost of doing business in Australia is the problem. Mostly being regulated to within an inch (millimetre actually) of our lives.

Big thumbs up to the man at ADI. :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 06 Jul 2015, 4:34 pm

Yes but not cheaper prices lol. Saving for a reloading kit...
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2015, 5:09 pm

It's not only the freight costs. Every hand that the product passes through wants to add %110 (or not far off) to the price down stream.

For instance:
selling OUTBACK to USA direct to retailers:
(prices for example only)
Outback 223rem 20 round box
Cost: $4
Freight: $1
Total: $5 + %110 = $10.50 cost to consumer

Selling in Australia:
Cost to distributor as above:
Cost to retailer from Distributor: $10.50
+ %110 = $ 22.05 cost to consumer

Too many cogs to grease in the supply chain.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 06 Jul 2015, 5:23 pm

Gwion wrote:It's not only the freight costs. Every hand that the product passes through wants to add %110 (or not far off) to the price down stream.

For instance:
selling OUTBACK to USA direct to retailers:
(prices for example only)
Outback 223rem 20 round box
Cost: $4
Freight: $1
Total: $5 + %110 = $10.50 cost to consumer

Selling in Australia:
Cost to distributor as above:
Cost to retailer from Distributor: $10.50
+ %110 = $ 22.05 cost to consumer

Too many cogs to grease in the supply chain.

AUSSIE OUTBACK
AMMUNITION
223REM 55GR
LOADED WITH
SIERRA 55GR BLITZKING
BALLISTIC TIP
$33.05/PER 20
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2015, 6:15 pm

Ok. AS i said, prices are just pulled out of my butt for the sake of the example. But lets look at it with higher freight cost thrown in as well.

So, freight to & from distributor is $2 not $1.

$4 for the box of bullets + $2 freight to the distributor = $6 + %110 = $12.60 + $2 freight to retailer =

$14.60 + %110 = $30.66
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 06 Jul 2015, 7:31 pm

F the French!!!
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics