Do you guys have "Australian Outback" by ADI?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Do you guys have "Australian Outback" by ADI?

Post by David Brown » 06 Jul 2015, 9:20 pm

Its Freight, its wages with Super, its much higher rents on shops, it is income tax (higher wages), it is liability insurance, workers comp. Add legal compliance with any number of entities.

If you supply a government department it is the cost of QA and many other things. Thene there is accounting costs and our taxation system is a mess.

Every step of the way it is multiples of multiples.

The USA is a great place, I love it. Some down sides but overall I would move there tomorrow if i could.

And yes……F the French.

I have a historic French military rifle to sell you Mr Title_II, it is in pristine condition, never fired a shot, only dropped once……...
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 06 Jul 2015, 9:27 pm

Thank, Mr. Brown. We can discuss when you get here :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jul 2015, 9:50 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 06 Jul 2015, 9:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-2991

$9.00 a box usd :wtf:

Thanks. I might have to get some of that. It's not blasting ammo for the ol' M16 but it's very accurate with that head on it. I can't get anything that accurate for that price.

BTW, somebody is ripping you guys off. This compliance and transportation stuff is BS if you ask me. We have ITAR. You need to pay a bribe to a licensee before we ship those heads to you and another bribe to another licensee to import the ammo before any of the cost or nonsense required to ship all this stuff halfway around the world twice. That's before it even gets to a distributor.

Cost is not making your ammo expensive. There's either too many people making money or some of them are simply making quite a bit.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 07 Jul 2015, 10:10 am

David Brown wrote:Its Freight, its wages with Super, its much higher rents on shops, it is income tax (higher wages), it is liability insurance, workers comp. Add legal compliance with any number of entities. AND PROFIT

If you supply a government department it is the cost of QA and many other things. Thene there is accounting costs AND PROFIT and our taxation system is a mess.

Every step of the way it is multiples of multiples.AND PROFIT

The USA is a great place, I love it. Some down sides but overall I would move there tomorrow if i could.

And yes……F the French.

I have a historic French military rifle to sell you Mr Title_II, it is in pristine condition, never fired a shot, only dropped once…MAYBE TWICE…...

There fixed it for you, added a minor consideration in the price.....

And as far as ADI selling to the USA add the same (wholesale) price as locally.....I call bulls**t. Simply the quantity would 'allow' a more attractive buy price....They know that to break into the US market they need to be red hot in price, quality projectiles or not. We are simply being cucumbered, the DG transport could not possibly add 20 odd dollars locally to a 20 round box.
Maybe someone could do the exercise of calculating the cost of shipping out a case of this ammo from the US to Aus...if anyone would be prepare to ship it...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Davies » 07 Jul 2015, 10:55 am

Title_II wrote:BTW, somebody is ripping you guys off.

You don't say :lol:
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 07 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

1290 wrote:
There fixed it for you, added a minor consideration in the price.....

And as far as ADI selling to the USA add the same (wholesale) price as locally.....I call bulls**t. Simply the quantity would 'allow' a more attractive buy price....

So, bare in mind that the "price hike" at each stage of the supply chain does actually have to cover running costs, payroll, etc, etc. So, even if the mark up is %110, they aren't putting all that in their pocket. Mind you, distributor 'sales reps' don't get paid a hell of a lot in most cases; it's well under the current 'average wage' for Australia.

As for the retail side of things, they generally make their biggest margins on consumable items, as the big ticket items are almost 'loss leaders' with very small margins in a lot of cases.

Also, ADI may well sell to the USA at "the same prices"; that is, their pricing schedule would be the same and if Aussie companies were to buy the same quantities as those in the US, then they would enjoy the same pricing benefits; my guess is that one distributor in Australia would buy about 1/2 of what, say, even just Walmart would order in the US. This is added to by the Aussie tendency to reload rather than buy factory ammo; where as in the States, they are more likely to buy factory rounds on a percentage of user level. One of those cycles of 'ammo prices are too high so i reload/ because i don't buy ammo the volume pricing is not available to me'. [don't get me wrong: reloading is better in every way, from my perspective]

I'd be very interested to see the prices if ADI worked directly with firearms dealers. Only problem is, there aren't many retailers big enough to warrant the quantity order required to get the "bulk rate pricing" and logistics of getting it all out to 100's of tiny local shops just isn't cost effective for ADI.

Any way you look at it, we get screwed at the drive through.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Jessie » 07 Jul 2015, 2:05 pm

Gwion wrote:Mind you, distributor 'sales reps' don't get paid a hell of a lot in most cases; it's well under the current 'average wage' for Australia.

I dunno about being under the average wage now but it used to be a damn good living (and easy job) reping for the right companies. Probably still is in cases.

When times got tougher though they were all the first people to get the chop though.

You know where your risk is at when you and all your fellows are employed on rolling 12 month contracts :?
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 07 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

1290 :friends:

But making a profit is not to be a crime, it is healthy, the problem is that the whole industry here is so heavily regulated, that nothing is competitive. Nothing.

So if we had sensible gun laws and more people were involved we would have a more viable industry. We have around 1,000,000 gun owners in Australia, and pro rata we should have around 8,000,000……..yep 8 times that. Imagine what that would do?

I reckon we are in a strong and violent agreement! :drinks:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 07 Jul 2015, 3:20 pm

Hey, not having a go at profit.... money makes the world go 'round, we all need money to buy the stuff that makes us and the family happy...apparently more money =more happy (another can'o'worms in there).

Point is, once you add the profit which is the whole reason for running a business, coupled with the stupendous legislative regs and associated cost burden; council permits, state permits, federal fair work and super, licensing fees and registrations, transport DG .......no less than 3 levels of legitimate as well as illegitimate government bureaucracy et cetera - you get what costs 9 bucks in the USA, costing 33 here.

How many gun owners should we have?? How many bona fide adults on this little island?? ................ maybe not the women; well, not all of them :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 07 Jul 2015, 3:37 pm

Well i still call b*%llsh%t! We are being ripped :) So looking forward to reloading that's for sure....
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 07 Jul 2015, 4:31 pm

Sam45 wrote:Well i still call b*%llsh%t! We are being ripped :) So looking forward to reloading that's for sure....

of course its bullsh$%.... just like the punter who enjoys a beer after work having to pay around $20 in TAX on a slab of beer and about $24 tax on a single bottle of spirits...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 07 Jul 2015, 4:46 pm

1290 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:Well i still call b*%llsh%t! We are being ripped :) So looking forward to reloading that's for sure....

of course its bullsh$%.... just like the punter who enjoys a beer after work having to pay around $20 in TAX on a slab of beer and about $24 tax on a single bottle of spirits...

I know , i know, build a bridge :lol: :D
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 07 Jul 2015, 5:40 pm

How many gun owners should we have?? How many bona fide adults on this little island??

And carrying :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

IMHO Gwion is right, the most transport requirement could possibly cost is about $5. It has to be mainly profits.

I cant change the system, so I focus on circumventing the cost. Load my own ammo and beer. Just gotta get onto a fish and chip shop to help feed the 4wd diesel. :D

Business always charges the most the customer will bare. Full stop.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 08 Jul 2015, 12:37 am

Out of interest; both copper and lead are 5 year lows in global market price..... so the pricing pressure isnt that...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 08 Jul 2015, 7:05 am

I made a batch of test rounds to take to the range the other day,15 x 223 and 50 x 308 all with different loads in batches of 5. If I charged myself out at my going rate, they were about $20/round :lol:

Yeah I need to speed up :D
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Broom » 08 Jul 2015, 10:30 am

Oldbloke wrote:I cant change the system, so I focus on circumventing the cost. Load my own ammo and beer. Just gotta get onto a fish and chip shop to help feed the 4wd diesel. :D

Swing past the back of the place on rubbish day. Bound to be a few full cans out there waiting for the rubbish man.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 10 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

A boycott would be pointless, we get most of our reloading powder from Thales, which they also ship to Hogden in the US.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Grated » 11 Aug 2015, 10:23 am

headspace wrote:A boycott would be pointless, we get most of our reloading powder from Thales, which they also ship to Hogden in the US.

Have to agree.

They know we really don't have any other viable option and would be back to buy anyway.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics