Any ammo restrictions? Any "just for fun" ammo?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Any ammo restrictions? Any "just for fun" ammo?

Post by Title_II » 07 Jul 2015, 10:14 am

Here in the US I know you can't shoot tracer in Jersey and I think you can't own it in Kalifornia. There are some weird laws like that in some of the commie states. I think in New York they can't buy ammo through mail order.

Do you have limits on the kinds of ammo you can own? Do you ever buy ammo just for effect rather than accuracy or hunting performance?

1. MK211 Raufoss - High explosive armor piercing incendiary
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211

Very expensive here, but that's simply because it's not sold to the public and we only get stuff contractors have left over.

2. Armor Piercing Incendiary - We get loads of API and APIT in .50 cal really cheap and mostly AP but some API in .30-06. I can try to get a pic of a 1-1/2" steel block I have a .30-06 round sticking out of after it almost went through.

There is also aftermarket incendiary and API for various smaller calibers but it's pricey.

3. Crazy shotgun ammo

Dragon's breath (flamethrower), explosive rounds (bird bombs), tracers, every silly thing that can be packed into a shell.

http://gunshowgoods.com/zencart/exotic-ammunition-c-26/

^That guy is expensive but he lists quite a bit of what is available so it's a good link.

4. Explosive targets

Tannerite etc.:

http://www.tannerite.com/

5. There is bigger stuff of course but then it's pricey and complicated vs. just a fun day at the range. Sticking to the stuff a good home range with a big berm can handle.

So, do you ever shoot crazy ammo or targets just for fun, just for a light show, or just to make a mess?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Any ammo restrictions? Any "just for fun" ammo?

Post by AusTac » 07 Jul 2015, 10:19 am

The government would have a fit and immediately ban legislate confiscate and charge us with everything they have if we had access to anything fun like that
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Noisydad » 07 Jul 2015, 10:30 am

Lol, the short answer is a resounding NO!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 07 Jul 2015, 12:15 pm

I was told at my safety course you can't buy pistol ammo on an A/B license, I assume that's incorrect as people own pistol calibre rifles.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 07 Jul 2015, 12:27 pm

I'm confused. You can't own handguns? I thought a C was hard to get.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusTac » 07 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

We can own specific hand guns caliber, capacity etc but the license takes alot to get and has a few conditions
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by FuzzyM » 07 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

Handgun licence is category H. Category C is for semi auto rimfire rifles and pump action shotguns.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 07 Jul 2015, 1:48 pm

With the usual Cat A/B in NSW we're allowed to purchase any centre fire / rim fire / shot shell round we like. That said, if you get caught with rounds in a calibre not currently registered to you there may be some questions asked. We are able to purchase some rounds that are traditionally associated with pistols that are also available in rifles such as 357 and 44 mag. If you want to buy pistol ammunition such as 9mm then you need to produce a current Cat H license along with the original registration papers of the pistol in that calibre registered in your name.
We can however purchase the Chiappa X-Caliber which comes with an 8 pack of barrel inserts for a total of 12 calibers in one rifle. Owning one of these permits you to purchase just about any pistol round you like :) Picked one up a couple weeks ago and been shooting 44 Mag / 357 Mag with it till the registration papers turn up and I can buy some 9mm / 45 ACP etc etc.

The 22LR is reasonably accurate out to 50m but 357 / 44 so far is grouping 8-12" @ 50M so I don't consider it an effective rifle.
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/172

This approach is both overly complicated and flawed, not to mention ineffective at stopping crims getting rounds. There is no restriction on the purchasing of components to reload your own 9mm, crims simply buy brass, powder, primers & projectiles then make their own and do it cheaper then having to buy it over the counter. As for fun stuff...only lead, copper and brass are permitted. AP, Incendiary etc etc will all result in prosecution, persecution and a severe butt f'ing by the government fella.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 07 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

Title_II wrote:I'm confused. You can't own handguns? I thought a C was hard to get.

Brief summary...

Manually operated long arms are reasonably easy to get licensed for. Lever action, bolt action etc. A and B licenses. Takes a month for the license here in Victoria. Similar in most states but a lot longer in a few.

Hand guns are simple enough too, we're allowed them for target shooting and don't need to justify much else but it takes 9 months here I think and similar lengths in other states. Category H.

Starts to get tricky here...

Semi-auto rimfire and low capacity shotguns are for professional use, farming etc. More difficult to get, need to prove it's for work, and are C.

Semi-auto centrefire or high capacity rimfire is D for government contract work and similar purposes. Not really possible for Average Joe to get.

For the ammo we're only allow "conventional" ammo. No tracer, incendiary or any other goodies. In most state a license lets you buy any ammo. NSW is the only state with this stupid thing about only buying ammo for a rifle you own and nothing else.

Who hasn't picked up a box of ammo for a license mate with a different gun after all?

And the obvious stupid flaw with not being allow to buy pistol ammo if you have a longarm, but a dozen cartridges come work in both :unknown:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2015, 10:05 pm

No, No, No, No,No, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, No,
No, No, No, No,No, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, No
No, No, No, No,No, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, NoNo, No, No, No,

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH.
Starting to sound like the Mrs now :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

FUNNY THING the laws in nsw you can buy ammo for any rifle so i bought a 357 mag and a 9 mm they really stuff the heads of the guys where i buy ammo they know now that i do have them but at first had to show rego papers for the rifles as for fun stuff that they have in the states we cant get any thing like the opp described
HEY WES AND you can buy any ammo for any A/B rifle its only pistol you have to show rego papers for
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Jul 2015, 11:46 pm

pomemax wrote:FUNNY THING the laws in nsw you can buy ammo for any rifle so i bought a 357 mag and a 9 mm they really stuff the heads of the guys where i buy ammo they know now that i do have them but at first had to show rego papers for the rifles as for fun stuff that they have in the states we cant get any thing like the opp described
HEY WES AND you can buy any ammo for any A/B rifle its only pistol you have to show rego papers for

This is America so things are different of course. I think there might be a federal law that handgun ammo only be sold to people over 18 or something. Not sure, rarely seen it come up. By actual dealers, your neighbor can sell you whatever he wants, of course.

Whatever the reason, when Walmart scans ammo something comes up on their register asking them to verify age if ammo is for a handgun. For a few years I bought a lot of 9mm from Walmart for my MAX-11 submachinegun:

http://www.max-11.com/MAX11.html#MAX11Upper

Now, most of these kids apparently take a look at me and decide I could be their dad (I'm in my 40s) and don't bother to ask me for ID or anything. But out of about 50 purchases there were two times when the kid asked me, "Is this ammo for a handgun or a rifle?"

Well, the true answer is, neither. In the US a machinegun can have any barrel length without changing status of rifle/pistol/shortbarrel rifle/short barrel shotgun/etc. So this one girl asked me, and I said, "It's for a machinegun."

So she says, "Umm... is that a rifle or a handgun.." while she has her index finger pointing down at the keyboard seemingly hoping one of the keys will reveal some wisdom to her before I answer.

I say, "Neither. It's a machinegun."

So she says, "Umm... " Now her index finger pointing down at the keyboard is starting to shake as she looks for something to save her. She finally pushes a key and seems very relieved she found the right key and not the self-destruct button for the store. :) I throw the ammo in my cart and resume my shopping.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Jul 2015, 9:39 am

FuzzyM wrote:I was told at my safety course you can't buy pistol ammo on an A/B license, I assume that's incorrect as people own pistol calibre rifles.

I have a mate who takes his rifle in to buy .45acp as LGS's always refuse him.

The look on their face as he pulls out the rifle and says I would like .45acp!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 08 Jul 2015, 10:36 am

Title_II wrote:I think there might be a federal law that handgun ammo only be sold to people over 18 or something.

So you can buy longarm ammo at 16 or something?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 Jul 2015, 11:11 am

Monty wrote:
Title_II wrote:I think there might be a federal law that handgun ammo only be sold to people over 18 or something.

So you can buy longarm ammo at 16 or something?

Any age.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Jul 2015, 11:34 am

you can't buy spray paint unless you're 18 here in WA.

Every time I buy ammo I have to present my original paper license showing I am licensed for a rifle in that particular caliber, and then my details are recorded, as well as the quantity I have just purchased.

Hell, the same applies for powder and primers. if I buy a box of primers, I have to show original license, have my details and the quantity recorded.

But I can buy projies, cases and dies for any caliber I like. no I'd required...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

Another example of our retarded laws,,,

(2) A person must not acquire ammunition for any firearm unless the person:
(a) is the holder of a licence or permit for a firearm which takes that ammunition, or
(b) is authorised to acquire it by a permit,
and the amount of ammunition that is acquired at any one time does not exceed the amount (if any) prescribed by the regulations.
(3) A person must not possess ammunition unless the person:
(a) is the holder of a licence or permit for a firearm which takes that ammunition, or
(b) is authorised to possess it by a permit.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+46+1996+cd+0+N

My understanding of Item A is that I cannot buy say .308 unless I have a .308 registered in my name. Though according to item B that since I have a permit that allows me to have Cat B rifles and .308 takes Cat B ammo I am allowed to purchase it.
Since we are legally allowed to lend / borrow firearms from each other providing both parties are appropriately licensed we can buy any ammo we like providing it's not an exclusive pistol round.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Jul 2015, 5:41 pm

That,s how it used to be here in da good old day when i was 14 i went into Kmart bought a Winchester .22 lr and 2 boxes of amo walk to check out girl said you old enough for this of course i said yes payed and got on a train home with a semi auto .22 and 100 rounds and no one said anything apart from the guy at the ticket collection window said I the have same one .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Jul 2015, 5:44 pm

brett1868 wrote:Another example of our retarded laws,,,

(2) A person must not acquire ammunition for any firearm unless the person:
(b) is authorised to acquire it by a permit,
and the amount of ammunition that is acquired at any one time does not exceed the amount (if any) prescribed by the regulations.
(3) A person must not possess ammunition unless the person:
(b) is authorised to possess it by a permit.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+46+1996+cd+0+N

My understanding of Item A is that I cannot buy say .308 unless I have a .308 registered in my name. Though according to item B that since I have a permit that allows me to have Cat B rifles and .308 takes Cat B ammo I am allowed to purchase it.
Since we are legally allowed to lend / borrow firearms from each other providing both parties are appropriately licensed we can buy any ammo we like providing it's not an exclusive pistol round.

all out the window after clause a
(a) is the holder of a licence
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 10 Jul 2015, 1:28 am

FuzzyM wrote:I was told at my safety course you can't buy pistol ammo on an A/B license, I assume that's incorrect as people own pistol calibre rifles.

Ah yes only some you can as there are a few rifles chambered in pistol ammo namely 357 Mag and the 44 Mag
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 10 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

No,

"Fun" isn't a "genuine reason" in Australia.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ariat » 13 Jul 2015, 11:06 am

sandgroperbill wrote:you can't buy spray paint unless you're 18 here in WA.

You can't legally? Or just because retailers won't?

I thought all Bunnings where asking for ID if buying it but didn't think it was law anywhere?
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 13 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

Herdsman wrote:No,

When you think about this for a minute, you really see how ridiculous our gun laws have become over the years.

I love target pistol shooting because it's fun and gives me something to do. I own a number of firearms and have never thought about grabbing one and using it any criminal form.

Shooting at tin cans is for fun, which in turn may make you a better shot - it's called practice.

A range was recently closed because shot up tin cans were found (plus other issues that haven't caused any problems, but, might, just like the Powerball landing on my house). What a joke. Tin cans being shot at causes issues??

Maybe one day we'll get enough presence to reverse some of the nonsense now in situ (I.e. Pump action shotguns).
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 16 Jul 2015, 9:53 am

All target shooting is done purely for fun. (Or for satisfaction, a rewarding experience, accomplishment etc. Choose your synonym but it boils down to fun.)

Hunting is done for food and pest control to an extent the same as above.

Being Australia though we can't use the "F" word. We have to use the correct bureaucratic buzz words to do the same thing.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 16 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

bluerob wrote:
Herdsman wrote:No,

When you think about this for a minute, you really see how ridiculous our gun laws have become over the years.

I love target pistol shooting because it's fun and gives me something to do. I own a number of firearms and have never thought about grabbing one and using it any criminal form.

Shooting at tin cans is for fun, which in turn may make you a better shot - it's called practice.

A range was recently closed because shot up tin cans were found (plus other issues that haven't caused any problems, but, might, just like the Powerball landing on my house). What a joke. Tin cans being shot at causes issues??

Maybe one day we'll get enough presence to reverse some of the nonsense now in situ (I.e. Pump action shotguns).

I know it sounds ridiculous but there are a small double digit percentage of outdoor ranges in the US that won't let you shoot cans, either. One concern is they don't want the range covered with leftover trash. That IS what will end up happening. Another is the configuration of their berm and what is beyond it. I know you guys don't shoot tracer, but many of you have been in the Army, and all of you have Youtube. Tracer teaches you that half of the rounds that aren't directly planted into the berm end up leaving the range. Some ranges therefore want you shooting at targets superimposed over the berm/backstop rather than on the ground in front of you where your bullets will skip and fly a mile and maybe crack someone's window. Finally, if the range provides target frames, people shooting at junk will always end up damaging the frames.

Now, I don't go to any of those ranges :D

But for what they are, I can understand why they have those rules, and they understand why I won't be showing up with machineguns, Tannerite, blow up sex dolls, a dead window air conditioner, and that darn printer from Office Space that always ticked me off ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 16 Jul 2015, 6:30 pm

herd of some air ports using bird bangers . other than that any armour piercing , explosive or incendiary rounds are illegal
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 17 Jul 2015, 11:16 am

Title_II wrote:and that darn printer from Office Space that always ticked me off ;)

I have an old mobile phone that is due to cop it on at the range :lol:

Bloody thing never worked right.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics