Different ammo different zero?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Different ammo different zero?

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm

How's it goin fellas? I'm fairly new to shooting, and just wondering how big of an impact does different ammo have on a zero of a rifle? I have my browning a bolt .223 zero at 100m using buffalo river sierra blitzking 55gr (as it produces the best groups). However, when tested out Hornady SP, Norma SP, and even Federal SP (federal were spraying everywhere, absolute rubbish) I noticed that all of them seemed to be hitting around 1.5 inches lower than the Buffalo river blitzking! I switch back to blitzking and I'm hitting dead on centre. .. is it common to have such a big variation on the zero? Keep in mind they were all 55gr except the norma (53gr)
Member-Deleted

Re: Different ammo different zero?

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Aug 2015, 6:45 pm

Yes.

Different ammunition will use different projectiles, primers and powders. Each of these will give variations to the poi, especially the powder.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

Yep often diff ammo or components will change POI - some more dramatically than others.

Personally I generally find a combo that the rifle likes then stick to that for everything. However I do play with a few diff combos with the 204 (still haven't tested one combo on paper) so have no idea what its doing there but have used it on fur and its been smashing em up well and truly, so I guess the POI hasn't changed too much? :unknown:

Generally though as I said earlier I just find something the rifle likes and stick to it (and stock up on all reloading components for it) or factory ammo if that's working for you. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zobster » 17 Aug 2015, 8:52 am

Just look at the ballistics chart that comes with the ammo and you see that different ammo shifts your POI. In saying that, unless you are shooting benchrest competition, or trying to put a 22 through a cheerio at 100m, it will not matter.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by roob » 17 Aug 2015, 2:14 pm

If it has a ballistics chat on the box that's your answer.

Otherwise you can get an idea from bullet weight and the velocity (which is on every box I think?)

A higher velocity cartridge will impact higher than a lower velocity cartridge if the bullet weight is the same.

Heavier bullets will impact lower than lighter ones.

Less accurate ammo will also impact in a bigger spread higher or lower as above.
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Aug 2015, 5:17 pm

Thanks for the answers guys, makes a lot of sense. Out of curiosity, which .223 ammo does ur rifle prefer?
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm

Home rolled stuff here mate, what you will have to do is buy a few brands in diff projectile weights and see what it likes shooting, that's about the only way you will really find out what works best in yours. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wobble » 18 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

Member-Deleted wrote:Thanks for the answers guys, makes a lot of sense. Out of curiosity, which .223 ammo does ur rifle prefer?

Every type of rifle likes something different.

What're you using?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Aug 2015, 2:03 pm

Wobble wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:Thanks for the answers guys, makes a lot of sense. Out of curiosity, which .223 ammo does ur rifle prefer?

Every type of rifle likes something different.

What're you using?

I have a Browning A Bolt composite stalker .223 (1 in 12 twist) and it really likes Buffalo River sierra 55gr blitzkings. Shots really good groups with it.

The worst by far is federal 55gr SP (power-shok or whatever they are called). Spraying everywhere. .I thought it was me but nope ran other kinds of ammo shot beautifully.. back to federal and spraying everywhere again
Member-Deleted

Post by AusC » 19 Aug 2015, 10:48 am

Member-Deleted wrote:The worst by far is federal 55gr SP (power-shok or whatever they are called). Spraying everywhere.

I think that's pretty standard for those Federal soft points :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 28 Aug 2015, 10:10 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sarki » 31 Aug 2015, 9:17 am

Member-Deleted wrote:I have a Browning A Bolt composite stalker .223 (1 in 12 twist) and it really likes Buffalo River sierra 55gr blitzkings. Shots really good groups with it.

The worst by far is federal 55gr SP (power-shok or whatever they are called). Spraying everywhere. .I thought it was me but nope ran other kinds of ammo shot beautifully.. back to federal and spraying everywhere again

Presumably you won't be using more than one or two types of ammo right? Maybe 3?

Get zeroed with your primary one then try your alts. It will only be a matter of a couple of clicks up or down depending on the ammo. Stick it in a notepad or whatever like someone said and when you switch do your 2-3 clicks and you'll be about zero.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics