30-06 neck size question

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

30-06 neck size question

Post by David Brown » 16 Sep 2015, 9:45 pm

SWMBO has acquired a few things from her father, one is a 30-06 CZ which she was intending to keep. I went to load up some rounds to test in it from a stock of fired brass that her father had been using, and when I was recapping with the neck sizing die, the case sailed right through.

A quick check of some brand new Lapua brass and the die felt right. Projectiles sat right, but the fired brass was so wide in the neck that a 30 cal projectile will fall in.

My question is besides full length resizing, what is causing this? A really worn out chamber? That's all I can put it down to.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: 30-06 neck size question

Post by deye243 » 17 Sep 2015, 12:50 am

David Brown wrote:SWMBO has acquired a few things from her father, one is a 30-06 CZ which she was intending to keep. I went to load up some rounds to test in it from a stock of fired brass that her father had been using, and when I was recapping with the neck sizing die, the case sailed right through.

A quick check of some brand new Lapua brass and the die felt right. Projectiles sat right, but the fired brass was so wide in the neck that a 30 cal projectile will fall in.

My question is besides full length resizing, what is causing this? A really worn out chamber? That's all I can put it down to.

there is no problem here if it were tight then pressures would sky rocket now if you had a precision cut target chamber then that might

have some resistance , but on average there would be any where between 0.004" and 0.010" of clearance on the neck for a factory

rifle .

EDIT did the pills fall in after neck sizing
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 Sep 2015, 12:52 am

Probably a silly question, but...

It hasn't been rechambered and rebarrelled to another Cal?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by David Brown » 17 Sep 2015, 7:15 am

Bill, no it has not been re-chambered or not that we are aware of!

EDIT did the pills fall in after neck sizing

I just had a bright idea………..I will go measure the die parts. Compare them to a 308. SWMBO's dad may have mixed up some parts in the dies (you know how old folk can get :silent: ) Despite the markings.

Has me thinking outside the box now. :unknown:

Will report back!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 17 Sep 2015, 9:38 am

Bug found…..lord knows how much crud was in the collet…….no wonder to would not resize the neck and it just felt like it went normally in and out yet never changed a thing.

All good again. note to self……never trust anything!
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hardcast » 17 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

Also David, because collet dies form from the outside, as apposed to the normal fls die pulling a sizing rod back through the case to size the neck, different thickness
brass can make a big difference to the finished internal size.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Carter » 17 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

David Brown wrote:note to self……never trust anything!

Or at least clean it occasionally :lol:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 17 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

Carter wrote:
David Brown wrote:note to self……never trust anything!

Or at least clean it occasionally :lol:

Hey…don't go using good sound logic on me!!!! :lol:

Yeah, he was a bench rester, but as Cancer and SWMBO's mother going down hill with the C as well has impacted things, I reckon some things may have not been maintained so well as I expected.

Me…I am a bit AR about cleaning things and being operational at all times. And too trusting. :shock:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by lole » 23 Sep 2015, 10:20 am

David Brown wrote:Me…I am a bit AR about cleaning things and being operational at all times.

That's the way to be with firearms :thumbsup:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 23 Sep 2015, 10:53 am

:drinks: Yeah, my activities include, aviation, motor sport (retired) water skiing and boating, shooting, engineering…….none of these are any different in all respects. In fact they are all engineering.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 29 Sep 2015, 9:24 am

You might like reading a book everyone once in a while.

You don't have to spend hours cleaning it afterwards :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics