Best projectile for fallow deer

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Best projectile for fallow deer

Post by insanity » 13 Oct 2015, 9:36 pm

Hi new to the sight and have a question just bought a tikka 270 for deer hunting and was wondering whats the best projectile would be best for the job? Any advice would be apreciated
Cheers Daniel
insanity
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Best projectile for fallow deer

Post by BBJ » 14 Oct 2015, 9:00 am

Hi Daniel,

.270 is plenty of gun for fallow, really any hunting projectile will confidently do the job.

I'd stick to lighter projectiles, try 130gr options. There's no point going up to .150gr for fallow and you'll just be exploding more meat with them.

You've got a lot of choice for projectiles.

Nosler Ballistic tip

Accubond are good but expensive.

Hornady SST or Interlock.

Sierra Gamekings.

Berger hunting bullets.

They'll all drop a fallow dead.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2015, 9:21 am

Nosler Pro-Hunters is another I rate.

I'd give the bonded bullets a miss for this though. They're good but twice the price of anything else in the list and complete overkill for fallow.

Save the bonded stuff for the big 3 deer.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 14 Oct 2015, 10:32 am

Lorgar wrote:I'd give the bonded bullets a miss for this though. They're good but twice the price of anything else in the list and complete overkill for fallow.

Yeah like $1.40 a bullet :wtf:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 14 Oct 2015, 2:03 pm

All the bullets mentioned are good.

Thousands of Sambar and the other large breeds have been taken with the .270 and it'll drive anything you put through it with enough power to drop a fallow in its tracks and then some.

Sierra bullets are pretty cheap and have a reputation for accuracy, that's as good a start as any.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by David Brown » 14 Oct 2015, 2:27 pm

Yeah the Gamekings are a nice economical but accurate soft point boat tail. I get amazing results with the 223 with these in 55gn.

I have just started loading my 6.5 and 308 and 30-06 with Nosler accubonds. they are not cheap, so I hope they work well.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 14 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

One other point, for fallow deer we have been head shooting them at 100-150 or so metres using that 223 ammo. No meat damage issues.

But you need to be accurate.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

David Brown wrote:One other point, for fallow deer we have been head shooting them at 100-150 or so metres using that 223 ammo. No meat damage issues.

Yep just smack em in the head or neck and they will drop no worries at all, even the 204 is good for em doing the same :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by insanity » 14 Oct 2015, 5:11 pm

Thanks guys will be mostly head shooting for meat anyway but just wanted to be shore I would be right if that big stag steps out!
insanity
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Sam45 » 14 Oct 2015, 7:09 pm

David Brown wrote:One other point, for fallow deer we have been head shooting them at 100-150 or so metres using that 223 ammo. No meat damage issues.

Yep head shot with the same and yummy :) Don't need anything bigger, just make sure it's a headshot and happy days. I go out to Stanthorpe a fair bit. Heaps up there. :thumbsup: So yes the .270 will be plenty :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 20 Oct 2015, 8:21 am

insanity wrote:Thanks guys will be mostly head shooting for meat anyway but just wanted to be shore I would be right if that big stag steps out!

Easy done :thumbsup:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 20 Oct 2015, 8:34 am

David Brown wrote:I have just started loading my 6.5 and 308 and 30-06 with Nosler accubonds. they are not cheap, so I hope they work well.

Accubond are a great bullet, I've pulled a handful out of tree stumps and the like, and the expansion and weight retention is as good as you could ask for.

They're expensive yeah, but you can rest easy knowing they'll do the trick.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by headspace » 23 Mar 2016, 7:02 pm

I'm a big fan of the Hornady 140gn SST in my 270, seems to fly a lot better than the 130's in mine.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 24 Mar 2016, 8:57 am

55 grain Norinco FMJ.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wrenchman » 25 Mar 2016, 2:59 am

my rem 700 in 270 will shoot just about any 130 well but i no some one that has a older ruger that dont like them he shoots 150 thes thing to do is try some of each
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 30 Mar 2016, 4:00 pm

Lorgar wrote:
David Brown wrote:I have just started loading my 6.5 and 308 and 30-06 with Nosler accubonds. they are not cheap, so I hope they work well.

Accubond are a great bullet, I've pulled a handful out of tree stumps and the like, and the expansion and weight retention is as good as you could ask for.

They're expensive yeah, but you can rest easy knowing they'll do the trick.

You should learn to aim better, less tree stump damage more meat in freezer :sarcasm:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 08 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

Ha ha,

Nah, pulled them after confirming sighting on stumps before a hunt.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MattyP » 09 Apr 2016, 11:46 pm

I recently had the pleasure to take a large 220ds fallow. Needles to say he was big bodied. I was using 150gn Hornady interlock out of my Sako L61r. After a long slow stalk the shot was taken at only 70 to 80 yards away. That being said, I like most hunters believe that 150gn are slightly overkill for fallow until, on dissection of carcass I recovered only small portions of the jacket. With no exit wound I knew the rest was in there. So after further digging around I discovered the remains of the projectile and It weighed only 39gn. Although the projectile worked, I now think the extra few $ for better weight retention is worth it for peace of mind.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 10 Apr 2016, 8:26 pm

What are you thinking your next is?

I hit a goat head on in the chest….never found the projectile, somewhere it its gizzards. But it never exited.

I am hoping the accubond will be my pellet of choice for the long term.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 12 Apr 2016, 1:54 pm

Haven't heard a bad word about the Accubonds other than that there a little expensive.

Not that you'd be going through boxes and boxes of bullets goat hunting though.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

Okay you've spent $600 on the rifle, $300 on the scope, $200 pair of binoculars, $300 on boots and clothing, what ever the licenses and permits cost. And now you're griping on spending a few dollars of the item that kills the deer?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 12 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Okay you've spent $600 on the rifle, $300 on the scope, $200 pair of binoculars, $300 on boots and clothing, what ever the licenses and permits cost. And now you're griping on spending a few dollars of the item that kills the deer?

+ 1000
I have never understood why people complain about the cost of bullets. Myself, I use Barnes X. They cost a lot more than most, but its a cost that i have never even taken into consideration.
As for weight of bullets, I always maintain to use the heaviest bullet your rifle will group well with. Lite for caliber bullets travel faster, expand quicker and cause much more meat damage than their heavier counterparts in the same caliber.
As for Hornady interlocks, those things should be used on paper and paper only. I have never once had a good experience with them.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 15 Apr 2016, 10:29 am

WayneO wrote:I have never understood why people complain about the cost of bullets.

Or buy a $1,000 phone and worry about a $2 app :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MattyP » 22 Jul 2016, 11:34 pm

I have used Both Barnes and Hornady gmx in the Sako l61 and the barrel has been shortened to 20inch. The best I could get out of the both loads were 21/2 to 3 inch groups. Where the old shape Hornady shot .8 at worst. The problem I find with any lead free projectile is the excessive length of the projectile you loose either case capacity and you need a fast twist rifling to get them to stabilize. Not to mention the very poor expansion rate. 1.5 times only. I know they look very cute once dug out of the dirt parapet; however, the narrow wound Chanel is not ideal in my opinion on relatively soft skinned game i.e. Fallow. In short Nosler partitions are projectile of choice at the moment. Two Rusa last week hated them. I projectile retained 100gn of the 150. With expansion up to 21/2 times Barnes.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by veep » 26 Jul 2016, 11:47 am

MattyP wrote:The problem I find with any lead free projectile is the excessive length of the projectile you loose either case capacity and you need a fast twist rifling to get them to stabilize.

I'm assuming they have to be longer to get the weight up without lead?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2016, 8:57 pm

insanity wrote:Hi new to the sight and have a question just bought a tikka 270 for deer hunting and was wondering whats the best projectile would be best for the job? Any advice would be apreciated
Cheers Daniel

A lot of suggestions and good info here about various projectiles including pros and cons.
But my view is, if its legal (read sensible caliber and weight) and the deer are dead consistantly then its OK.
I have always used interlocks or equevelant (nothing fancy) and everything hit died very fast when I did my job.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 29 Sep 2016, 11:42 am

Lyam wrote:Haven't heard a bad word about the Accubonds other than that there a little expensive.

I think the word you're looking for is f*****g expensive :lol:

But certainly a quality bullet.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 02 Oct 2016, 7:19 pm

130gr TTSX barnes in 308 winchester.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wobble » 07 Oct 2016, 2:47 pm

Any hunting bullet out of a .270 will do it.

Just skip match bullets obviously.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Mick280 » 08 Oct 2016, 6:42 pm

I use my .243 more often than anything else on fallow and the 90 - 95 gn Nosler BT's do the job just nice!
Haven't had one run on me yet and the meat damage is generally minimal.
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics