Success with 224 cast bullets?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Success with 224 cast bullets?

Post by andym79 » 25 Oct 2015, 7:19 am

Hi guys, I just wondered if people could tell me about success or failure with 22 cal cast bullets. So far I have got cast from 25cal upward to shot to a point that give the massive cost saving I am happy with performance compared to jacketed projectiles.

I have a 223 9" twist and have tried cast accuracy was mediocre, but then I didn't spend much time on load development.

I am asking because I am considering another project re-barrelling one of my WIN 94s to 219 zipper or 25-35W.

Whilst I know I can use jacketed ammo in the 219 zipper I don't know how well it might be able to shot lead, especially as it seems spitzer type 22cal moulds don't seem to exist, only the rn or flat nose type. Not all ammo in a 94 needs to be fed through the action after all the rifle can be used as a single shot if you like.

Assuming I went with the 219 Zipper with the option to go jacket or cast, I will be able to specify barrel twist; is 1:10" a good choice, I figured 1:12" would be more cast friendly, but a 1:12 will limit stabilising ability to 60 grains at most.

I know that with the 25-35, 25 cal bullet moulds are much more diverse. Likewise if I went for the 25-35 would a 1:10" be the best choice there? I figured at lower velocity a 1:12" would top out at 90/100 grainer were as a 1:10 would let me stabilise a 125 grainer at low cast velocity.

I guess I am asking how much success have guys had with 22cal versus 25cal cast and is 1:10 the best twist for 22cal 40-70 grain and 25cal 70-125 grain
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Success with 224 cast bullets?

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

What brand rifle?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics