favorite rifle, favorite caliber

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

favorite rifle, favorite caliber

Post by tony m » 02 Nov 2015, 11:32 pm

I am new here-Canadian.Just wondering what type of rifle aussies prefered and why you choose this? Me-I like the fast non magnum chamberings ....and I hunt some big stuff.Is ammo/components hard to come by there? It is here at times so most hold on to enough of it.Just wondering.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Re: favorite rifle, favorite caliber

Post by sandgroperbill » 03 Nov 2015, 12:21 am

I personally have a soft spot for the trusty old smelly and .303. I honestly believe it,s a better round in reality than it is on paper (better hunting round than many would think).

Other than that, there are several calibers I like, depending on what I'm doing at the time. I'm a bit of a plain Jane and like .22lr, .223 and .30-06, though I also like .222, 22 hornet, .22-250, 243, .270 and .308. I haven't had the opportunity to try .204 ruger in the field, but imagine I would quite enjoy it, and can see the point of .300blk. Having said that, I think my next centre fire would likely be .45-70, 9.3x62, one of the .338s, a .375 h&h or one of the ruger compact magnums (something above the .30-06 for use as a buff gun - and just because).

As for component availability, I haven't had huge issues, apart from a bit of a powder shortage from time to time. I've always been able to get it, but in smaller quantities than I have wanted on occasions. Having said that, I hunt, I don't shoot targets, so I don't go through nearly as many rounds as a lot of guys here, but I still keep a supply of spare powder, projies and primers.

If I'm going out after nothing in particular, and want to cover most things, I'll take the .30-06 with nosler 165gr bt's.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Nov 2015, 4:42 am

I'm in Oklahoma, USA, and my favorite cartridge is the 22 Long Rifle. As for favorite rifle, it tends to be the one in my hands at the time. Favorite centerfire rifle, at this time, is the M-1 Carbine.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Nov 2015, 5:32 am

Welcome to the forum Tony :)

I'm a huge fan of the 308 with my favourite rifle being a Remington 700 in Varmint SF configuration. That's probably because I get more of a chance to target shoot than hunt these days, bloody thing is way too heavy to lug around chasing game :lol:

Component wise we've had big troubles getting powder over the last 12-18 months but otherwise things have been fine.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 03 Nov 2015, 7:54 am

My absolute favourite rifle is my Rem 700 CDL LTD in .280 Rem followed closely by my my Win 94 .375 Lever Gun!!
My Win Model 70 in .308 also rates high ( Love that action )
Components: Brass ( Particularly .243 win and 45/70 Govt ) and some varieties of powder have been hard to source lately.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 03 Nov 2015, 8:42 am

G'Day Fella's,

Tony M, to many to list so you will need to be a bit more specific!
Hunting, Varmint, Target or Fun rifles???

Regards
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by southeast varmiter » 03 Nov 2015, 10:26 am

True. For bolt action shooting would say 308 or 300 win mag. For lever action 45 70. For semi auto - burst def 5.56mm (ex mil here ;) )
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tony m » 03 Nov 2015, 11:46 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Tony M, to many to list so you will need to be a bit more specific!
Hunting, Varmint, Target or Fun rifles???

Regards
Homer
Here is a breakdown for you.My choices. .dangerous game-.375h&h double, mountain rifle -.270 win browning blr (saddle rifle too) Target-.22 rimfire brno bolt action, fun rifles-pick a lever gun-I like most of them and I use a 25/06 on the pests.What are yours?
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Mick280 » 03 Nov 2015, 9:09 pm

DG: Never done it,But your choice ( .375 H&H seems to be the traditional favourite! )
Mountain Rifle: Do plenty of that,My .280 Rem hits the spot there,Although the .257 Wby Mag would hit the spot as well if it wasn't so bloody heavy!!
Target: Don't do much of that,But love shooting the 1885 Hi-Wall 45/70 out to 150-200 yds as a sideline to my single action shooting!!!
( Have some top shelf vernier's coming for it to stretch its legs a bit )
Pests: .243 ( No fuss )
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tony m » 03 Nov 2015, 11:04 pm

The .280is a beauty.I also shorten my mountain rifles.That .270 is a takedown too.The .25/06 has to long of a barrel-to long to carry on those steep ,brushy slopes.The .375 is also a beauty but is not a every day thing.cheers
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by RealNick » 05 Nov 2015, 11:12 am

tony m wrote:The .375 is also a beauty but is not a every day thing.

Not if you want your shoulders to last :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 06 Nov 2015, 5:41 am

Favourite is the 308,,,i own so many its not funny, but if your after a calibre that can handle just about anything here in AUS its got to be it.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tony m » 07 Nov 2015, 12:04 am

RealNick wrote:
tony m wrote:The .375 is also a beauty but is not a every day thing.

Not if you want your shoulders to last :lol:
Exactly why a guy picks something else.It is not just the significant recoil either, its like packing two lightweights.These I believe bullet selection is more important than caliber.When you get exit wounds on big tough animals like moose and elk with .308 or similar chamberings...you have enough.Choose a tsx, swift or similar and it changes the game .Can you get these in Aus?
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Chronos » 08 Nov 2015, 8:59 am

For a long time my Tikka Varmint stainless in 7-08 was my absolute favorite rifle, but then i got a Hunter stainless fluted in .308 and it's in danger of taking the top spot. It shoots factory 130gr federals so well i haven't bothered going back to do load development with it, it light, and everything you point it at falls over :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Nov 2015, 7:06 pm

I am in love with my Marlin 223 at the moment
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 09 Nov 2015, 11:07 am

Favourite cartridge, .260 Rem?
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm

Ok favourite all around caliber is .308 can use on everything from rabbits :lol: (if it's handy) up to camels I regularly use it on feral sheep and goats perfect for that. Favourite varmint caliber is .204 flat accurate and fun with no side affects like recoil or blown ear drums. Favourite rifle mine would have to be my Mark X Mauser in .308. 20" krieger barrel and open sights :D.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 11 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm

308. It's everywhere, can be used on anything. In right hands will reach out to 800+ yards
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2015, 7:44 pm

I think the 50cal is my all time favorite so far, I also enjoy the 20 cals and 22 cals but I'm pretty much happy shooting anything really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2015, 8:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think the 50cal is my all time favorite so far, I also enjoy the 20 cals and 22 cals but I'm pretty much happy shooting anything really.

50's are massive fun, I have to confess to that :D

My favourite for hunting is either the Sako 85 Stainless in 22-250 with varmint fluted barrel or the Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257 Weatherby Magnum. If I'm looking to hit meat way out then .375 Cheytac or for targets out past 1500m it's the M99 .416 Barrett. I have a different favourite for different tasks including 4 shotguns. The next rifle on the books is something full custom for 3400yd competition which is in the early stages of construction and that'll be my favourite for that task.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I think the 50cal is my all time favorite so far, I also enjoy the 20 cals and 22 cals but I'm pretty much happy shooting anything really.

50's are massive fun, I have to confess to that :D

My favourite for hunting is either the Sako 85 Stainless in 22-250 with varmint fluted barrel or the Weatherby MkV Accumark in .257 Weatherby Magnum. If I'm looking to hit meat way out then .375 Cheytac or for targets out past 1500m it's the M99 .416 Barrett. I have a different favourite for different tasks including 4 shotguns. The next rifle on the books is something full custom for 3400yd competition which is in the early stages of construction and that'll be my favourite for that task.

Bloody oath, you know your alive when you hit the go button alright :lol: That muzzle blast and ground vibration type thing has to be experience to really understand how much punch they really have, recoils fine and easy to handle, just that muzzle blast that always make me laugh :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 12 Dec 2015, 11:53 pm

recoils fine and easy to handle

I'm sure Laurie would argue that point with you :lol: The recoil really depends on the brake design, the 3 I have use different sizes and designs. The DTA kicks the most due to small brake and light weight, then the Tac50 followed by the Barrett M95. No.4 is currently being built and it'll be a monster up around the 20kg range with a 43" x 2" stainless barrel so it'll just lightly kiss the shoulder. M99 .416 Barrett is still my favourite and I'll be testing out the 450Gr BTHP's on some skips between Christmas and New Year.

I've posted this before but it's still fun to watch....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HFqSaZW5g
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Dec 2015, 1:02 am

:lol: I think one of our friends got kissed by the 50 when he used it too :lol: Not sure exactly what brand the mates is I think its a Barrett, big heavy bugger and its not to bad at all to shoot because of its weight and no doubt the big arsed Muzzle Brake is definitely helping (hence the massive muzzle blast that smashes ya when you hit the goe button :D blows the hair about and the leaves and dust do the 50cal dance :lol:

I was having a lay down in the tent which was about 80m away and ol mates let rip and FMD I though the tent was gunna blow away it flapped around that much from the muzzle blast, not to mention the massive ground shock :lol:

My mate gets nose bleeds if he shoots it too much (not uncommon from what I've been told) :D he shot this 30 or 40kg rock with it and it just turned to dust, looked like a nuclear bomb went off with the dust cloud that happened with it (I think they were 600gn projectiles too so I guess expected. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 14 Dec 2015, 4:32 pm

Got to be my two go to guns....Bruno ZKK601 in 308, with a Leapold 3 x 9, followed by the 300 win mag in ZKK602, (same glass)..

Matched pair, set triggers on both, and both drop like bolts of lightening......

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 16 Dec 2015, 2:00 pm

Swarm wrote:Favourite cartridge, .260 Rem?

I wanna get behind something in a .26 Nosler :twisted:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Dec 2015, 9:24 pm

Sorry Repost! :oops: :drinks:
Last edited by MalleeFarmer on 06 Jan 2016, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 27 Dec 2015, 9:45 pm

I tend to favour the 223 or 308
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 28 Dec 2015, 8:59 am

CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Rocker » 04 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

tony m wrote:Just wondering what type of rifle aussies prefered and why you choose this?

Well, we all have medium calibre bolt actions because it's all we're allowed.

"prefer" doesn't really come up :problem:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics