Another gun

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Another gun

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 8:13 am

I am in the process of researching a third rifle.
The advice I have had previously on this site has been excellent so here I go again.

I have so far a CZ455 22 with a Redfield scope and a Tikka 308 with a leuopold VX1 scope.
I bought both of these second hand and I think I did reasonably well with choosing good quality gear for a good price and nice to shoot.

I never gave much thought to the scopes,I just went for the brand and calibre I liked.
The next purchase will be a 223 which will fill my 3 gun safe and cover all bases.

This time I want to be more precise. I want a good quality scope as well as a good quality rifle.

I am happy with the previous two brands but open to suggestions.
I want a 1:9 twist. The main use will be a fun gun. An accurate walk around gun for bunnies , foxes and goats mainly.
For the scope I am thinking Meopta 4-12X50 or similar.

So what combinations do others use and or recommend??

Many thanks
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Another gun

Post by Mick280 » 06 Nov 2015, 8:37 am

You couldn't go wrong with another Tikka T3 mate!! ( Not sure of the twist rate in .223 though )
How much you looking at spending on your scope??
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 8:47 am

Well the budget varies on the day.
Generally I am as tight as a fishes arse. But I have been known to impulse buy which can be dangerous.
I also know you get what you pay for which keeps me awake at night.
I guess as a ball park amount I will lay down $500 -$1000. As long as I get something I like I will be happy.
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 06 Nov 2015, 9:14 am

Hahaha,You sound about the same as me,But I don't like buying s**t,And will usually take the time to save and get something decent!!!
Have a look at the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44,I have one on my Tikka .243,Awesome German optics for about $1100.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Nov 2015, 9:59 am

Just my 2c worth, I'd swap the vx1 to the new 223 and upgrade the scope on your 308. Since you're more likely to reach out further with the 308 better glass would be more useful there.

I would also get a 22-250 over a 223 but if that's what you're set on then go for it :). Not knocking the 223 in any way, it's accurate, cheap and plenty powerful for medium range work but the 250 will reach a little further, hit harder and shoot a little flatter at not much more cost per round and a slight decrease in accurate barrel life.

As far as what rifle, the entry level rifles like Savage's Axis, Ruger's American and the like are bloody good value for money. They're plenty accurate for hunting and plinking and saving some money there means more money to invest in your new scope

Have a look at the Redfield line of scopes, I think the Revenge is their entry level and for a $3-400 scope they've got brilliant glass. They're made through the same factory as Leupold so they've got a good pedigree.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 10:18 am

AGGHHHH more sleepless nights.
Yea the 22-250 would be nice but dont the barrells burn out?
A second one would probably be worn out!
decisions decisions
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

basil brush wrote:AGGHHHH more sleepless nights.
Yea the 22-250 would be nice but dont the barrells burn out?
A second one would probably be worn out!
decisions decisions

They're harder on barrels than a 233 but it's all relative. Depends on how you shoot it (rapid fire vs slow fire that lets the barrel cool), as well as how hot the ammo is you're feeding it and the quality of the barrel.

Do you reload or are you interested in starting? If so you'll find that handloads will cost you less than factory 223. Of course same goes if you're reloading 223. And you can also get an accurate load that's not going flat out so you'll save your barrel some.

I've got a Rem 700 22-250 my dad bought around 30 years ago. Accuracy is starting to suffer but I can still wrangle 1.5 MOA out of it, maybe even 1 MOA on a good day
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 11:17 am

Already having a .308 means a .223 or 22-250 will both fill the void and serve your purposes just as well as each other. .22-250 has a slight range advantage, but hey, so does your .308. .223 is perfectly capable and ammo is cheap (Winchester bulk packs and osa).

The main question I would ask is: wood or synthetic?

Also, someone mentioned the ruger American earlier on. In .223 these have a 1:8 twist, and you can get it new, in a package with a redfield 3-9x40 for less than a grand
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Thanks guys

Wood Vs plastic, I prefer the wood on my CZ22 compared to the Tikka but I take care not to scratch it, at least with plastic you dont have to worry to much.
A LGS tried to sell me a ruger 223 recently. They said it was a copy of a Tikka - half the price and just as good? I dont know about that but it felt OK to handle.
The same shop gave me the hard sell on a Bushnell AR tactical scope for a 223. I didnt swallow that one either.
Anyway the quest continues!
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 12:24 pm

ruger a copy of a tikka? nope. no way. uh uh.

Ruger have two actions, the m77 and the American. The m77 are used on their hawk eyes, Africans, gun site scout, etc. The American is used on the American and precision rifles.

Personally, I like the American action, though it has a definite down fall (try loading without the mag), but for me it's strong, smooth, no play and feels great.

Tikka and ruger are definitely not copies of each other, but I do like the action on the tikka as well

Edit: typos
Last edited by sandgroperbill on 06 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 06 Nov 2015, 3:46 pm

Id go with a Howa if you don't want to pay big bucks and a Ruger if you wanna pay a bit more . Ruger and Howa both make top rifles and if happily recommend either
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 06 Nov 2015, 4:50 pm

Are you a hunter or targets at the range type of guy ?

Ken
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 5:40 pm

Shotgun? well I can now!
I am a hunter mostly I only go to the range just to sight in.

I came across a second hand remington 700 with a nikon prostaff 223 for $800 today.

I can get a new Tikka or CZ for around the same price.
Its the scope I am struggling to make a choice with.
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Nov 2015, 5:40 pm

The .223 Tikka is a 8 twist in super varmint, worth considering, you could fit a MDT LSS stock at home no gunsmith required if you want a more modern look, they also do stocks for Howa which could also be worth considering.
The best part with Howa is you can buy a barrelled action and choose your own stock.

A 22-250 is worth considering as well, gives a bit more range and thumps a bit harder up close,or you could get the .223 and add the 22-250 or .243 later.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

I'd have a look at the new Howa Mini Actions! A true mini action to suit the small 223 cal, unlike most of the others who use standard size actions (saves on production costs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8TeE0cMK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5NILFkMyQ
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 6:14 pm

What sort of overall budget for rifle and scope are you looking at?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by basil brush » 06 Nov 2015, 6:47 pm

Well I have about 2k tucked away but f*** that would hurt to spent it (Iam a tight arse as previuosly mentioned)
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 7:33 pm

You mentioned the .22 has a redfield scope? Is this the revenge or revolution?

If so, quality and performance should be pretty similar to the leupold vx1 (similar scopes, same manufacturer but the revenge is assembled in philipines and the revolution in america).

It would depend on how you see yourself using the .223, how often, how much you would be carrying it, etc. If you're going to be carrying it around a fair bit and are worried about it getting knocked around, go synthetic. The three options of howa/weatherby, tikka and ruger american are all good choices. Pick the one that fits best, then fit one of your existing scopes to it and as someone mentioned earlier, get new glass for the .308.

Alternatively, the ruger american package comes with a redfield revolution scope and should serve you well.

Oh, and if you do get a.223, get 1:8 or 1:9
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by winchestersx » 06 Nov 2015, 10:40 pm

Browning abolt or xbolt topped with a vx2 or similar quality glass will keep you on budget.
Fight for Freedom!
winchestersx
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 11:18 pm

winchestersx wrote:Browning abolt or xbolt topped with a vx2 or similar quality glass will keep you on budget.

Definitely an option worth considering. I do like brownings.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Nov 2015, 8:00 am

basil brush wrote:Shotgun? well I can now!
I am a hunter mostly I only go to the range just to sight in.

I came across a second hand remington 700 with a nikon prostaff 223 for $800 today.

I can get a new Tikka or CZ for around the same price.
Its the scope I am struggling to make a choice with.

A shotgun it will be [as he point extended middle and index fingers at you] :P

22, centrefire..... missing is a 12g... thats the hunters companion, walking up the bunnies or the foxes... and countless other animate thingies...you can not go wrong. Most target respond well to an ounce and a bit of lead ...

A double banger, Sx or OU.... doesnt matter.

As far as the second hand remmy, if they're so good then why is he/she selling it :lol:
Personally, I think with the range of lower priced rifles, there's little need to go second-handy, unless you find 'the perfect' rifle at a really good price.

CZ, Zasty... if still made the stevens 200...(Savage without the spacutrigger)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Berper » 09 Nov 2015, 2:10 pm

basil brush wrote:Well I have about 2k tucked away but f*** that would hurt to spent it (Iam a tight arse as previuosly mentioned)

It's not doing you any good sitting in an account somewhere, put it to some use ;)
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by basil brush » 07 Feb 2016, 8:20 pm

As an update I finally got a new Tikka 223 ss with a 1:8 twist for under a grand.
I got a good deal on the scope with a Bushnell 3500 elite 4-12 x 40 on top.
Its light and hopefully accurate. Its going to give some foxes some hurry up soon.
So that's good enough for me.
Thanks for all the advice.
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 16 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

Mick280 wrote:You couldn't go wrong with another Tikka T3 mate!! ( Not sure of the twist rate in .223 though )

I was going to suggest another Tikka would certainly do the job.

Comes in 1:12 twist and 1:8 twist so the latter would obviously be the way to go.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics